Top Nav

Arkansas Concealed Carry Permit Information

Click here to view Arkansas’s Concealed Carry Permit Map at the bottom of the page.

Information on how to obtain your permit, fees, and locations coming soon. If you would like to contribute to this page, please post the information in the State Forums .

Concealed Permit:
Shall Issue to Residents Only.

Example Resident Permit:

Arkansas Concealed Handgun Carry License

Arkansas Concealed Handgun Carry License

Issuing Authority:
Department of Public Safety: Arkansas State Police

NICS/Background Check:
The Arkansas State Police performed a name based check through the Arkansas Crime Information Center (ACIC), the Interstate Identification Index (III) and the National Instant Check System (NICS). The fingerprint card is forwarded to the FBI and they perform a nationwide fingerprint based search.

Permit Valid For:
The permit is valid for no more than five (5) years.

Processing Time:
It depends on your criminal history and the quality of the fingerprints submitted. If you do not have a criminal history or any kind, the process will take a week longer than it takes to get the FBI results back (Usually 4-6 weeks). The process may also be delayed if your fingerprints are not of high enough quality to be accepted y the FBI. If your fingerprints are rejected an additional submission time (4-6 weeks) would be necessary.

If you do have a criminal history it may take longer to obtain dispositions or review the arrest or conviction information in the file. . If any further information about your charges is needed then ASP will send you a letter specifically outlining what you need to obtain.

Separate checks are no longer required. The amount is $144.25 (application fee $100.00, state background check $25.00, and the FBI background check $19.25). You may send a check or money order payable to the “ARKANSAS STATE POLICE.” All fees are NON-REFUNDABLE.

1. Resident of Arkansas
2. At least twenty-one (21) years old
3. A U.S. citizen
4. Satisfactorily completes an approved firearms safety program
5. Submits fingerprints and a fee determined by the Department of Public Safety
6. Does not fall into a class of person prohibited to possess a firearm, such as a convicted felon, adjudicated mental incompetent, or illegal alien.
7. The completed application and all required documents must be mailed to this office within six months from the date of training.

Required Documents:
1. Original completed appliation
2. Fingerprin card
3. A signed release to ASP for the use of your DL/ID card photo on your CHCL.

Renewal Information:
The preferred method of renewing your Arkansas concealed handgun licenses is the online renewal form. You can also renew using their paper application. The instructions for the paper application can be found here.

You Must Enclose The Following With This Renewal Application:
1. This properly completed form.
2. A legible copy of your Arkansas Concealed Handgun License.
3. A legible copy of your Arkansas Driver’s License or I.D. Card.
4. The completed “Certificate Of Training” form from the Concealed Handgun Carry License Firearms Safety Instructor dated within the last twelve (12) months.
5. If your license is not expired, send a check or money order for $60.00, payable to the “Arkansas State Police”. If your license is expired less than six months, add an additional $15.00 fee.
If your license is expired over six months, you will not use this form, but will need to begin the application process with a new application and not a renewal.

Change of Address:
Fill out the ASP-40 COA and e-mail or regular mail it to the Arkansas State Police, Concealed Handgun Licensing Section, 1 State Police Plaza Drive, Little Rock, AR 72209
Concealed Handgun License Change of Address Notification Form

Lost or Destroyed Permit:
Concealed Handgun License Replacement Application Form

You Must Enclose The Following With This Request:
1. This properly completed form.
2. A legible copy of your Arkansas Concealed Handgun License (if possible).
3. A legible copy of your Arkansas Driver’s License or I.D. Card.
4. A check or money order for $15.00 payable to the Arkansas State Police.

Informing Law Enforcement of Carry:
The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer.

Automobile carry:
Concealed carry in the vehicle is ok with a permit. Without a permit, handguns must be unloaded and cased; glove compartment carry of a handgun is illegal; rifles and shotguns may be carried in plain view or secured in commercial cases.

Places off-limits when carrying:
1. Any police, sheriff or Arkansas State Police office.
2. Arkansas Highway Police facility.
3. Detention facility, prison or jail.
4. Courthouse or courtroom.
5. Any polling place.
6. Meeting place of any government entity.
7. Meeting place of any session of the Arkansas General Assembly or committee of the General Assembly.
8. Any athletic event not related to firearms competition in which the license holder is participating.
9. Any part or section of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, except a restaurant.
10. Any part of section of an establishment in which alcohol is consumed on the premises, except a restaurant.
11. Any school, college, community college, or university campus building or school/college event unless the event is for the purpose of participating in an authorized firearms related activity.
12. Inside the passenger terminal of any airport, unless the handgun is encased for shipment by lawful transportation.
13. Any church or other place of worship.
14. Any place where the possession of firearms is prohibited by federal law.
15. Any place where a property owner or manager has exercised discretion to prohibit the possession of a firearm.
16. Participating in a parade or demonstration for which a permit is required.
17. At a private residence without having first advised the occupants that the license holder is carrying a concealed weapon and given the permission to carry the handgun.

Alcohol and Drugs:
Waiting For Information. As always, alcohol/drugs don’t mix with firearms. That’s a pretty simple rule of thumb.
Not Allowed to carry in any part or section of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, except a restaurant as well as any part of section of an establishment in which alcohol is consumed on the premises, except a restaurant.

Deadly Force / Castle Doctrine:
Arkansas is not a Castle Doctrine state and does not have a stand-your-ground law.


Open Carry:
Prohibited under most circumstances (certain affirmative defenses exist).


Localities with Varying Laws:
For additional information please contact your local county Sheriff’s office.

Forms & Links:
Arkansas State Police: Concealed Handgun Licensing
NRA-ILA: Arkansas Gun Laws

Concealed Handgun License Online Renewal Form
Concealed Handgun License Renewal Application Form
Concealed Handgun License Replacement Application Form
Concealed Handgun License Change of Name/Address Notification Form
Concealed Handgun License Transfer Application Form
Certificate of Training Form

  • Jason Davis

    Arkansas IS a castle doctrine state and we do not have a duty to flee law.

    • Jerry Joslin

      AR is NOT Castle doctrine and retreat ONLY in COMPLETE SAFETY.

  • Rick McCoy

    I think all honorably retired law enforcement should be exempt from having to acquire a permit. Spend 30-40 years carrying and going through much more intense training, and in dealing with all sorts of situations, and people, requiring a cool head and common sense. I’d rather have a retired cop with a gun on the streets than someone with minimal training and no experience.

    • David Barnes

      I agree, Rick these folks have earned their CHL through years of service.  I think the CHL/CCW permit should be part of their reitrement, and at no cost from the state.

    • bob pickles

      federal law allows retired law enforcement to carry concealed throughout the united states as long as they quailfy with the state in which they retired on a yearly basis and carry retirement ID

    • Timothy Hardy

      The federal Law Enforcement Officer’s Safety Act of 2004, and as amended in 2010, gives active and retired law enforcement officers the authority to carry a concealed weapon nationwide as long as certain conditions are met. Check with the agency from which you retired to see if they will issue you a retired ID card that complies with the law. Among other things, you must continue to qualify with your firearm annually in order to be eligible. Your former agency must also have a written policy implementing the LEOSA in their agency. I wrote one for my agency so that our officers could take advantage of the act..

  • Spayne67

    I can not believe the restrictions Arkansas has, Almost think this was an anti-gun state. Understood the Castle rule was inaccurate.

  • roadguru

    I was hoping to see ‘faq’ and see if as a 24 year military vet I would be exempt — but after seeing Ricks comment I’m guessing that would be a no for me. Damn shame.

    • Zach

      Both Active as well as Retired have to go through the same process as the civilians.

      • Major USMC

        That is a shame. With 20 plus years of Military service, fighting in two wars, seems there would be some exemption in place for active or retired military.

        • mikelm31

          Lots of Marines out there Major, We all have to Qualify in the eyes of the Law. I served during Nam, But got my Lic. in Ky. Enjoy its easy and fun!

  • Jim

    I will be traveling through New York, what do I have to do with my weapon while traveling through. I have an Arkansas concealed carry permit.

    • 45SIG

      Leave your handgun at home… If you are going to a Recip.. state.
      Remove AMMO and Mags, store them in trunk in one LOCKED box and Store guns in a separete LOCKED box. make sure you use trigger locks or lock cables in receiver too.
      DON’T SPEED, RUN REDLIGHTS, Cops can charge you even for having it locked up.
      Then you can possibly end up with e misdemeanor crime, that will not allow you ro RENEW your permit and get the current one revoked.
      Seems like a lot to travel, just in case..

      • bull57

        Jim… a reciprocating state you must follow their state conceal / carry laws. Look up where you are going and the states you are traveling through for current information. As far as NY I would advise no one should go there even if you are going to be buried there. Same goes any place north of the mason / Dixson line!!!

      • hogwildmike

        In Arkansas, a misdemeanor crime does NOT keep you from getting your Arkansas CHCL. The only thing that keeps you from not being eligible to get your CHCL is either being a Felon (common sense) and or if you’ve been convicted of a domestic violence crime.

        • mike

          I have just gotten my ccw in mo, now I am having to move to ar. what do iI need to do to be able to carry in ar. Will I have to pay to do all of it over again or what do I need to do.

  • tabby

    so i saw where i am not aloud to have a gun.. where am i aloud to have one if i have a permit

    • Jimmy Holloway

      Any where that is not listed and does not have a sign that is readable from ten feet posted at the entrance.

  • hepya

    on cc maps red and yellow states is it leagal to carry unloaded in case

  • Tchrider

    Why does AR honor Fl, SC,and CO permit holders, but they do not honor ours? Just asking

  • Brandon Butler

    As of 1/1/2013 License fees have now changed for Arkansas. They are $141.50 for new licenses (147.50 if you file online) and $60 Renewal ($63 if you file online). License transfers are now $76.50.

  • gator

    What are the concealed carry implications of AR not being a Castle Doctrine state?

    • Think Before You Speak

      It means you cannot pursue a suspect and gun the down once your life or the life of another person is not in eminent danger.

  • Jim Laubler

    Sheriff Joe Arpaio has the right idea. He’s been deputizing hundreds of citizens as a possy (volunteers). SOME, who go through his course, are authorized to carry. It really helps to have uniformed volunteers at Super Bowls, Christmas Parking Lots and the like, watching with a radio. Some even ride their horses to get a good view.

    When I was there in 1998, he was awaiting a surplus helicopter and volunteer pilots.

  • Robert Helsel

    I am looking to move to AR from MI where I currently have my CCW permit. Do I have to go through the whole process in AR once I establish residency there or will they transfer my current permit to AR?

  • Johnny Wixson

    I think if you have a concealed Handgun Carry License and you try to conceal your handgun in a reasonable manner and someone might see part of the holster or an outline under your clothes. This should not be against the law.

    • bull57

      That is why Oklahoma now has open carry with c/c license. Lots open carry in ok. And no one even gives them a second look!

  • Justin

    How long does it take to get your permit replaced? I sent off for my replacement at least 4 months ago, the $15.00 check was cashed but I still haven’t received my permit.

  • bull57

    Law enforcement in Oklahoma need a c/c license to carry off duty!

  • gejoslin

    Arkansas will become the 45th Open Carry state Aug 16th 2013 by Act 746

  • Tdean

    How do you check the status of your CC if you have mailed all the paper work to the Arkansas state police.

    • LNB

      Go to the Arkansas State Police website and on the CHL page there is a link to check your status. You enter your last name, DOB, and DL#.

  • Dale Thompson

    I need to replace my ccl but keep getting a blank page when i click on the form. So what do i do ,how do i get form for replacement CCL

  • Dale Thompson

    i agree with you Rick McCoy

  • Zanthamos

    Update required, Arkansas lifted the absolute ban on churches last year, and the absolute ban on campuses starting 1 July this year.

  • Zanthamos

    Arkansas does have a castle doctrine and it was just extended to include outbuildings (shed, garage, etc.), but not outside of either the home or outbuildings.

  • Zanthamos

    Updates to this site are required as follows: 1) the absolute prohibition on concealed carry in churches was repealed effective last December, 2) the absolute prohibition on concealed carry on campuses was repealed effective just this past July, 3) Arkansas does have a castle doctrine whereas you are not required to retreat in your own home which has been amended to include outbuildings (e.g. shed, garage, etc) however you are required to retreat if possible outside of those areas to include your driveway and yard.

  • Adrian Lane

    Can I get an Arkansas carry license living in idaho, if so how do I do it? I have an Idaho cc license.

  • truck driven son og a gun

    1 Of my friends wants to know if its all felonies or just ccertain 1s???

  • David Wilson

    Permits should be honored in all 57 states

    • Guest

      What country has 57 states?

      • David Wilson

        Did you not know Obama declared the US has 57 states? He said so when he campaigned. Where have you been?

  • RRC

    If you are a minor in the state of Arkansas and accused of a first degree misdemeanor, can you still get your drivers permit? I was accused but never got a paper or anything in the mail. I’ll turn 18 in less than two months..


    What are the consequences of being caught CC with your permit inside a place that has a posted No Gun policy sign?

    • bob white

      you lose your permit and your right to carry concealed if you get caught and they press charges and you are convicted the rules are the rules

  • Doug

    Coming from Nebraska to live here, how soon do I have to do a address change for my right to carry permit?

  • chris comer

    This page seriously needs to be updated since Act 746 was revised last year. The revision decriminalized carrying a firearm for protection without a permit, Openly or Concealed, by anyone who is legally allowed to own a gun.

  • aj

    just moved to ar from nm. have permit from nm and just got my ar drivers license. can I carry till I get my 90 days resident requirement

  • Aandalman

    As a texas resident can I carry in my vehicle under Texas Castle Doctrine for reciprocity sake or would I have to unload in and case it as soon as I crossed state lines?