New Alabama gun laws?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

New Alabama gun laws?

This is a discussion on New Alabama gun laws? within the Alabama Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; Does anyone know if the new law as passed and signed today includes the proviso that permits can be issued ...

aryfrosty is offline aryfrosty

Default New Alabama gun laws?

Does anyone know if the new law as passed and signed today includes the proviso that permits can be issued for five years? I know it was in the original version but can't determine if it was in the final version. I sure hope it did. I wouldn't mind being able to get a five year permit like I did in New England.

I live right outside Montgomery and none of the news outlets have mentioned it, so, I'm guessing it died without action.

Ammoseek has more info. Looks like you can get the five year permit now.

aryfrosty is offline aryfrosty

Thanks for the assist. That is good news.

My son sent me a link from the NRA-ILA which outlined the provisions of the new law. The five year license is an option, but no details were listed. Also in the law is a change from "may issue" to "shall issue". There is a lot of other good stuff in there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
    My son sent me a link from the NRA-ILA which outlined the provisions of the new law. The five year license is an option, but no details were listed. Also in the law is a change from "may issue" to "shall issue". There is a lot of other good stuff in there as well.
    The change from 'may' to 'shall' is pretty much semantics. It's been 'shall issue' in all but name for longer than the 20+ years I've been carrying concealed. The 5 year permit is a nice touch. I assume that you just pay 5 years worth of fees when you get it. That still is $100 or less and way cheaper than a lot of states charge for just the 'privilege' of getting a permit. I drive by the local Sheriff's Dept at least once a week anyhow, so getting a renewal wasn't a chore for me.

The change from "may" to "shall" is pretty much semantics.

True. Alabama has been "does issue" for decades now. But that one-note troll who used to spend his waking hours feigning outrage about Bama's "may" wording must be apoplectic.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBoy View Post
    The change from "may" to "shall" is pretty much semantics.

True. Alabama has been "does issue" for decades now. But that one-note troll who used to spend his waking hours feigning outrage about Bama's "may" wording must be apoplectic.
    Whatever happened to that idiot?

I believe that the site finally (and wisely) banned him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast