Hello, New to group. - Page 2

View Poll Results: Go with Familliar smaller Glock 9mm or Trade up To Glock .45?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 9mm

3 60.00%
  • Glock .45

2 40.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Hello, New to group.

This is a discussion on Hello, New to group. within the Arizona Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; Originally Posted by the dark That seems logical, but simplistic and I don't buy it. It seems to assume one ...

Quote Originally Posted by the dark View Post
    That seems logical, but simplistic and I don't buy it. It seems to assume one is under open threat of arms - but that is hardly always the case. It denies the complexity and interactive nature of the situation. ALWAYS? Only if one is ALWAYS unprepared, in condition white. My SA may mean I am less surprised at the "attack" - for the lack of a better term - than my attacker is at the unexpected armed response. I anticipate an attack, I look and predict when, where and from whom it might come. That is the value of training SA. I may "get inside his loop". The attacker enters this with some anticipation of an outcome - I doubt he enters expected an armed prey. Meeting force with force will always be a surprise to a predator...my prediction can violate his expectation...that is surprise.

I prefer not to think in your terms, but to each their own interpretation.
    Through situational awareness, you may very well deny the element of surprise to an attacker. If you do, then the element of surprise no longer exists in the situation. An attacker (unless he is incredibly stupid beyond human belief) knows on some level that a defensive response, or even an armed defensive response from his victim is possible. You're not surprising him with it. You may scare the crap out of him, but you're not surprising him.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

The_Outlaw is offline ~The Dude Abides~
    The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain View Post
    Maybe I should explain better. The element of surprise is an offensive tactic. Not a defensive one.

Were you not surprised, when 4 guys rolled up on you out of nowhere and blocked you in?

If you weren't surprised...that means you were expecting the attack. And the only way you could expect that sort of attack is if you had set yourself up as bait, trolling for it, eager for the chance to whip out your six-shooter and use it. Which would make you incredibly stupid, for deliberately exposing yourself to that sort of danger.

I prefer to believe they surprised you.

I understand what you are saying.

To answer your question,
    Yes, I was completely surprised at the unexpected encounter.
    I shudder to even think about what could have happened to me if I was unarmed.

I think that I was much better prepared to handle that ATM situation because of another bad experience that I went through years earlier when I was a victim of armed robbery at my uncles liquor store at the age of 17.
    A large knife was held to my neck and then to the back of my head in that encounter. I'll never forget the look in the eyes of that bad guy and his partner who was armed with a handgun, it scared the living $h*t out of me and I thought that I was dead meat for sure.
    I remember feeling so stupid and helpless as I cowered on the floor with that huge knife poking the back of my neck.

After that terrible ordeal was over, I vowed to myself that I would never ever become a victim again.
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12