NON resident carry in Vermont= OK
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NON resident carry in Vermont= OK

This is a discussion on NON resident carry in Vermont= OK within the Arkansas Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; I have just received a formal reply from the Attorney General of Vermont regarding ALL VISITORS to the State of ...

Default NON resident carry in Vermont= OK

I have just received a formal reply from the Attorney General of Vermont regarding ALL VISITORS to the State of Vermont.

Emails below/ copy and paste: (note their humor)
    SENT:
    To: atginfo@atg.state.vt.us
    Subject: Visitors' Handgun Carry Requirements?
    Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 13:31:34 -0500

Attorney General of Vermont
    atginfo@atg.state.vt.us

Sirs:

I am trying to determine the requirement for non-resident visitors to Vermont for concealed carry.
    Vermont law uses the undefined word "person", without specifying residency.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arkansas.pdf

Arkansas State Police | Regulatory Services

These two sites disagree as to the status of Vermont.

One map says that Vermont does accept AR CCW.
    ASP says that Vermont does NOT honor the AR CCW.

Vermont law uses the undefined term "person" in their statutes.
    The Office of the Attorney General of Vermont | Gun Laws
    Vermont
    V.S.A. §4003 Carrying dangerous weapons
    A person who carries a dangerous or deadly weapon, openly or concealed, with the intent or avowed purpose of injuring a fellow man, or who carries a dangerous or deadly weapon within any state institution or upon the grounds or lands owned or leased for the use of such institution, without the approval of the warden or superintendent of the institution, shall be imprisoned not more than two years or fined not more than $200.00, or both.

Thank you for any assistance you can give.

REPLY:
    Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 19:58:14 -0400
    Subject: Re: Non Resident Visitors' Handgun Carry Requirements?
    To:

It is legal for you to carry openly or concealed in Vermont. Loaded or unloaded.(The gun, not you.) G.O.Vt.

Additional edit= 2nd reply from Vermont ATT GEN / direct copy and paste

Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 08:04:28 -0400
    To:

I should clarify that I was talking about hand guns. Long guns can not be kept loaded in your car, only hand guns
    may be stored loaded in a vehicle. If you would like all the gun laws of Vermont ,please check out our website. We have Cindy Hill's book for sale with everything regarding Vermont gun laws in it.www.gunownersofvermont.org. You may carry on your person if you are a non-resident for self protection. This excludes schools,court houses,banks,and any federally owned property.You can not carry any deadly weapon with the intent to harm someone which is what law you quoted.Hope this helps.Ilse

end edit

Note the humor in the first reply. ("The gun, not you.")
    Last edited by lukem; 04-05-2011 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Mis printed title line

Fallguy is offline Citizen

VT doesn't recognize any state's permits....but that is because no one needs a permit to carry in VT.

Out of VT, AK, AZ and WY...WY is the only one that limits Concealed Carry without a permit to residents of the state.
    “Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michie’s Legal Resources

With a reply coming from a gmail account, I would question the validity of the reply.

REPLY:
    Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 19:58:14 -0400
    To:

Tues.
    Received a 2nd email from Vermont ATT GEN, added as edit in #1.

Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 08:04:28 -0400
    To:

I should clarify that I was talking about hand guns. Long guns can not be kept loaded in your car, only hand guns
    may be stored loaded in a vehicle. If you would like all the gun laws of Vermont ,please check out our website. We have Cindy Hill's book for sale with everything regarding Vermont gun laws in it.Gun Owners of Vermont. You may carry on your person if you are a non-resident for self protection. This excludes schools,court houses,banks,and any federally owned property.You can not carry any deadly weapon with the intent to harm someone which is what law you quoted.Hope this helps.Ilse

As a note, my original email was generated by going to the State of Vermont website and emailing directly to the state Att. Gen. address, as indicated initially.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy View Post
    VT doesn't recognize any state's permits....but that is because no one needs a permit to carry in VT.

Out of VT, AK, AZ and WY...WY is the only one that limits Concealed Carry without a permit to residents of the state.
    Now we have an official confirmation from Vermont of what non-residents can do.

I'd like to see a clarification of the WY law.

Thanks.

Fallguy is offline Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post

Thanks.
    You can check here for a bit more info. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/wyoming.pdf

Best I can tell you have to be a resident for 6 months.
    “Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michie’s Legal Resources

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post

Thanks.
    WY law that just passed...effective 7/1/11.

Paragraph (iv) references WY statute that states residency requireemnts.

who is ilse.vergi and why is he or she responding on behalf of the atty gen from gmail?

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    who is ilse.vergi and why is he or she responding on behalf of the atty gen from gmail?
    Logic indicates that since the email was sent directly to the Attorney General's Office link provided on the State of Vermont site, that the respondent is, what we call in my home state, a Deputy Attorney General.

Being signed G.O.VT.: If further clairification is desired, email addresses are available enclosed above.
    Last edited by Gordon Shumway; 04-06-2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: word correction

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy View Post

Thank you.
    #1 I was attempting to officially claify the "no one needs", as you so adeptly stated it.

#2 "Fallguy on usacarry said it was OK" is not a legal defense to prosecution, nor is any information presented on this or any other non-official website.

USACarry is an excellent source for NON-official information, and learning from the users' posts is of incalcuable value.

Should I be traveling to any state I will definitely get official clarification directly from them.
    That certainly seems more prudent than sitting in jail waiting for my attorney to further clarify the matter after the fact.

(already been handcuffed by state troopers in a bogus "tell it to the judge" revenue producing handgun case= I won in court, but cost me $2 thousand to do it)

By the way, I have my home state info printed off the official State Police site and carry it in my glove box. You would be suprised how many CCW holders and LEOs don't know what it says. Of course, having been there and done that, that does not prevent CCWs from being arrested on a "tell it to the judge" BS charge.
    Last edited by Gordon Shumway; 04-06-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: thought

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast