Moving from Texas to AR., CCW question...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving from Texas to AR., CCW question...

This is a discussion on Moving from Texas to AR., CCW question... within the Arkansas Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; I have my CHL, now what are the laws when we move to Arkansas? New test and everything? Thanks, Jim...

Default Moving from Texas to AR., CCW question...

I have my CHL, now what are the laws when we move to Arkansas? New test and everything?

Thanks,

Jim

DrLewall is offline Charter Member

Hope this helps..

5-73-319. Transfer of a license to Arkansas.

(a) Any person who becomes a resident of Arkansas who has a valid license to carry a concealed handgun issued by a reciprocal state may apply to transfer his or her license to Arkansas by submitting the following to the Department of Arkansas State Police:
    (1) The person's current reciprocal state license;
    (2) Two (2) properly completed fingerprint cards;
    (3) A nonrefundable license fee of thirty-five dollars ($35.00);
    (4) Any fee charged by a state or federal agency for a criminal history check; and
    (5) A digital photograph of the person or a release authorization to obtain a digital photograph of the person from another source.
    (b) After July 31, 2007, the newly transferred license is valid for a period of five (5) years from the date of issuance and binds the holder to all Arkansas laws and regulations regarding the carrying of the concealed handgun.

History. Acts 2003, No. 545, 3; 2007, No. 664, 26; 2007, No. 1014, 2.
    DrLewall
    "Doc"
    Drakes Creeks, AR
    www.kiltsrock.com
    "A gun unloaded and cocked aint good for nuttin!"--Rooster Cogburn

Doc,

Thanks, that's what I have been looking for....

Jim

DrLewall is offline Charter Member

You are most welcome..and welcome to AR! Where abouts in AR are you going to settle?
    DrLewall
    "Doc"
    Drakes Creeks, AR
    www.kiltsrock.com
    "A gun unloaded and cocked aint good for nuttin!"--Rooster Cogburn

We will be in Cabot. Our son is stationed at Little Rock AFB and will be there for 5 yrs., he is ground crew for the C-130/135's. They had their first child ( our first Grandbaby) two weeks ago. So, we, as first time Grandparents are moving up there, my wife wants to baby sit, and I like the area. We have been campers for around 30 yrs. and AR. is a beautiful place for camping, we have a Class C. Now if I can just find a job at a gun range there, it would be perfect....

Jim

netentity is offline Obama is a mack daddy!

Default A caveat

AR State Police requires that you surrender your reciprocal CCW at the time you apply. Unless you have another reciprocal CCW, you will not be able to carry until you get your AR CHL which could be up to 120 days.

This is a bad administrative ruling that needs to be changed by the AR legislature.

What you can do is get a UT CFP prior to moving then carry on that after surrendering your TX CHL to AR SP with your transfer form.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

What is a UT CFP ? 120 days is a long time....Can you have a gun in your car without a CCW.

Thanks for the information,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim101 View Post
    What is a UT CFP ? 120 days is a long time....Can you have a gun in your car without a CCW.
    Utah concealed firearm permit. Utah is also on the AR reciprocity list. Also keep in mind that the requirement to have a AR CHL is an administrative requirement by AR SP, it has not been codified in AR state law. You do run the risk of being the judicial test case if you elect to carry on a reciprocal CCW after getting an AR DL.
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

In looking into all this, why does AR require me to go through background checks again? Not to mention the additional costs......It really takes 120 days to get the AR CCW? Can you get a "fingerprint" card from any other place than the State Police offices?

Jim
    Last edited by Jim101; 10-28-2008 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim101 View Post
    In looking into all this, why does AR require me to go through background checks
    All States require you to go through the background checks all over again. It is not like transferring a DL. It's also not cheap when I renew mine. Fortunately the only two I have that I'm renewing that require fingerprinting are FL and NV. The only States that give you a break some break on issuance time, training, qualification or fees are AR and TN.

AR gives you a break on the fee and your training and qualification requirement is waived. What I hate about AR is you're required to surrender your reciprocal CCW. What you can do in that instance have multiple CCWs on the AR reciprocity list is just carry on another one or request a duplicate of the one you surrendered when you submit your address change to the issuing authority. AR SP did not issue the reciprocal endorsement, license or permit so it is not theirs to take. However remember the AR SP admin requirement I posted earlier. You may be the test case if you're caught before your AR CHL is issued if you're an AR resident carrying on an reciprocal CCW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast