Non-traditional Thanksgiving
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Non-traditional Thanksgiving

This is a discussion on Non-traditional Thanksgiving within the BBQ & Cooking forums, part of the Outdoors category; I've already informed my family we are going to have a nontraditional Thanksgiving. I fully intend to smoke the turkey ...

Default Non-traditional Thanksgiving

I've already informed my family we are going to have a nontraditional Thanksgiving. I fully intend to smoke the turkey on my Kamado.

Anyone have any experience or recipes on the matter?

The Great Google Oracle has answered,

Google

click on link and it will take you to all the info you could ever want. No need to type anything, just click it.

Google; eliminating the need for human interaction one search at a time...

I smoked a turkey a few years ago. Turned out pretty dam good.

I had a 5 gallon food grade bucket, filled it just enough to cover the turkey.

Recipe... just kinda faked it and started grabbing stuff from the spice cabinet.

White wine
    Salt
    Garlic powder
    Pepper
    Mustard powder

Not sure what else. Brined it for 2 days in the Kegerator. I think I used Apple wood in the smoker.

I've always wanted to try the deep fried turkey.

Any of you guys attempted this? I've seen videos where people over fill the frier and oil spills over and catches fire.
    If it doesn't fit, FORCE it! If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Diealotz View Post

Any of you guys attempted this? I've seen videos where people over fill the frier and oil spills over and catches fire.
    I haven't actually done it myself but I have observed my friend do it a few times. Not really hard to do, but you can't be stupid. Don't overflow the oil when you put in the turkey. Put it in slowly and don't have the container over full of oil. Should be obvious. If you dunk the turkey fast into the oil it will flow over the top of the pot. Slow is good! Don't put anything soaked with water in the pot. It will boil over and be a hazard.

Overall, if you use just a little caution it's safe and the results are delicious!!! No recipe, just cook it according to directions.
    Jim Page

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Place the Turkey in, then fill with water to the desire level and mark the height of the water. Take the turkey out and pat dry, remove the water and fill with oil to the height mark. Slowly place the turkey back in and you cannot overflow. The oil level will be right.

Be careful, it is easy to dry out a turkey deepfrying it. Watch the temp.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post

Place the Turkey in, then fill with water to the desire level and mark the height of the water. Take the turkey out and pat dry, remove the water and fill with oil to the height mark. Slowly place the turkey back in and you cannot overflow. The oil level will be right.

Be careful, it is easy to dry out a turkey deepfrying it. Watch the temp.
    Yep, pretty much. You can measure while the turkey is still wrapped and adjust a bit for the cavity. Or measure a day prior to frying, then dry and do some injectible marinade and rub to let the bird sit over night. Get the oil (peanut) to 350 and hold it there for a while...maybe a bit above because plunging the bird will bring it down a bit. Then keep your eye on it and hope it at ~350... too low will be too oily, too high will burn some areas - and perhaps you if not careful. It is not too difficult, but does require attention. I have done it many times over that last decade or so. Damned good bird.
    Si vis pacem para bellum

I've never done it myself, but I know it's easy to overcook a fried bird. A friend's dad did it one year and we got a terribly dry, greasy turkey.
    I smoked a brined chicken with a little seasoning under the skin a month or so ago and it was amazing... can you think of any reason not to use the exact same procedure for a turkey?
    Last edited by JacobDacey; 10-25-2012 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Grammar

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast