Reasons found acceptable for CCW issuance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Reasons found acceptable for CCW issuance

This is a discussion on Reasons found acceptable for CCW issuance within the California Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; Okay, the San Diego Judge didn't give us the Shall Issue result that we were hoping for, so it's back ...

JRM
    JRM is offline Instructor

Default Reasons found acceptable for CCW issuance

Okay, the San Diego Judge didn't give us the Shall Issue result that we were hoping for, so it's back to the drawing board on that one.

I live in Riverside County and I want to apply for my CCW. I'm just a regular hard-working white collar engineer who wants to exercise his right to carry and protect myself. But that's not a good enough reason, according to those in power, to earn me a CCW here in sunny California.

Since I do not "carry large sums of money for my employer on a regular basis", am not a "full time, part time or reserve LEO", do not have a family member or close friend who is an LEO, and I am not the "president of the United States",... I'm looking for your suggestions on the best reasons that I can put on my application that the County Sheriff will accept.

If you have your CCW in California, I'd love to hear the convincing reason(s) you gave that got you to the Inner Circle, won you the Holy Grail, that coveted and elusive California CCW.

Thank you.

Default reasons

I don't live in your county. I live in San Diego County and just received my CCW Dec. 2nd.

I believe our counties are very similar.
    Bill Desy who taught my 8hr ccw class said that the people coming through his class are judges, lawyers , doctors, emergency room personnel, and businessmen.

I fall into the businessman category.

Lance

Sorry but unable to help . . . .
    My County accepts "Self Defense" . . . .
    But we are a Rural County . . . . .
    Maybe a letter in advance to your local Sheriff asking that exact question may get you a reply with some clues.
    Just a thought . . . . .

JRM

Quote Originally Posted by Dancer View Post
    I don't live in your county. I live in San Diego County and just received my CCW Dec. 2nd.
    I fall into the businessman category.

Lance

Lance, congrats on receiving your CCW. As a businessman, what was the reason(s) you gave, if you don't mind me asking.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JRM View Post
    Lance, congrats on receiving your CCW. As a businessman, what was the reason(s) you gave, if you don't mind me asking.

Joe
    JRM pm was sent to you.
    Lance

Default Just renewed CCW in San Bernardino County

I took the CCW renewal training class last week at SB County Sheriff HQ and the deputy teaching the class said that Riverside County was issuing permits similarly to SB County. I use a simple "protection of family and self defense, and travel around remote areas of our large county at night" and I was issued CCW with no problems. Maybe try speaking to the deputy that runs the CCW program and try to get feel of what will work. I have found that many deputies are CCW-friendly and love to talk about the subject if you are a law-abiding citizen.

JRM

Thanks sbeckert. Your post gave me hope. I'll check with a Riverside Sheriff and see if he'll tell me what he's specifically looking for. I've not done that until now because I didn't want him to think I was telling him what he wanted to hear. If I get a good answer from the Sheriff, I'll post it here for others.

JRM

Just as an update...I attended the local 2-day CCW class recently, and submitted my applications to Florida, Utah and Arizona. Reason being my county Sheriff might be more likely to issue me a permit once he sees that other states have already issued me theirs. That was the recommendation from my CCW class instructor. Good advice.

So I mailed off all 3 applications about a month ago. Florida responded yesterday via mail to say my training certificate was missing "instructor's signature and number" on the cert. What?! His signature and NRA instructor number are right there below my signature. After 25 minutes on hold waiting for Florida Bureau to answer their phone, the nice lady told me they needed to see his name "printed" after his signature. Really? She replied, "Yes, really." So I printed his name next to his signature...made a big arrow pointing to it...and faxed the cert directly to her. Now the wait continues to see if they will have another silly excuse to delay or reject my application.

When I informed my instructor of this issue, she said, "Over the last 14 years of submitting applications to Florida, this is the first time they've ever rejected one for lack of a 'printed name'." Oh well. That's what government red tape looks like.

I can only hope Utah and Arizona don't use that excuse on me as well.

...and the wait continues.

JRM

I'm assuming this means that in California you must provide in your own words for wanting a permit. I suggest you take a handgun course if you haven't already(whether cali requires it or not) send that paperwork in with it and under your "reason" just wrote out the second amendment. I mean your personal reasons we're good enough for them, maybe the bill of rights will be good enough. Added bonus you get to be a wise ass. Lol

JRM

Hi TL,
    In my last post I mentioned that I already took the required 2-day CCW handgun course. The instructor said my local Sheriff won't accept the "it's my 2nd Amendment right ...and I'm in fear for my life and I want to protect myself" reasons. He knows the Sheriff's department that issues these permits and knows what they will and will not accept.
    Thanks though!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast