Travelling to Maryland
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Travelling to Maryland

This is a discussion on Travelling to Maryland within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; My wife and I will be going to visit my Marine son stationed at Indian Head for Christmas. I'll be ...

Default Travelling to Maryland

My wife and I will be going to visit my Marine son stationed at Indian Head for Christmas. I'll be going from Arkansas, through Tennessee, and Virgina. Bothl those states honor Arkansas CHL, so no problem there.

I think I know the answer to this question, but is there anyway to legally carry my firearm when I cross the Virgina/Maryland border? I like to travel at night and really feel uncomfortable with a weapon.

Thanks for your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by coloneljim View Post
    My wife and I will be going to visit my Marine son stationed at Indian Head for Christmas. I'll be going from Arkansas, through Tennessee, and Virgina. Bothl those states honor Arkansas CHL, so no problem there.

I think I know the answer to this question, but is there anyway to legally carry my firearm when I cross the Virgina/Maryland border? I like to travel at night and really feel uncomfortable with a weapon.

Thanks for your responses.
    In a word: NO.

Ok, thanks. That was the answer I expected. Oh, well, I'll just travel unarmed this trip.

Quote Originally Posted by coloneljim View Post
    Ok, thanks. That was the answer I expected. Oh, well, I'll just travel unarmed this trip.
    Hey, CJ, didn't mean to sound so terse. Just that Maryland pisses me off with it's draconian gun laws. You sounded like you wanted to CARRY in MD. You can't do that legally. However, you can TRANSPORT: Put the unloaded weapon in a LOCKED gun case in the TRUNK; keep any ammo separate. This way, at least, you can travel armed until you get to Maryland.

I grew up in Maryland, although I have lived in ND for the last 20-odd years. When I travel back to visit, this is what I do; armed until I get there, then stash firearm in the trunk.

I grew up in Maryland. Spent 30 years there, and I ain't gonna go back.

Maryland law on the transportation of handguns is so draconian there's actually no allowance under law for someone from out of state passing through with an unloaded, locked, cased handgun in the trunk.

4-203. Wearing, carrying, or transporting handgun

FOPA is your protection, but don't count on Maryland LEOs adhering to FOPA.
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

Quote Originally Posted by kengrubb View Post
    I grew up in Maryland. Spent 30 years there, and I ain't gonna go back.

Maryland law on the transportation of handguns is so draconian there's actually no allowance under law for someone from out of state passing through with an unloaded, locked, cased handgun in the trunk.

4-203. Wearing, carrying, or transporting handgun

FOPA is your protection, but don't count on Maryland LEOs adhering to FOPA.
    The way I view it is "what they don't know can't hurt me". Personally, I'll be damned if I would travel across the country unarmed just because I can't carry in MD.

KNOW YOUR RIGHTS and be prepared to fight for 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    The way I view it is "what they don't know can't hurt me".
    Trees falling in the woods and guns carried for protection. I agree with the sentiment, but the OP asked is there anyway to LEGALLY carry my firearm (emphasis added).
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

Quote Originally Posted by kengrubb View Post
    Trees falling in the woods and guns carried for protection. I agree with the sentiment, but the OP asked is there anyway to LEGALLY carry my firearm (emphasis added).
    Yeah, I know, and I'm not telling him to carry.

I am saying I wouldn't hesitate to TRANSPORT legally.

When it comes to carrying a firearm in Maryland, FAGEDDABOUTIT. They won't give permits to residents unless you're connected.

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddog View Post
    When it comes to carrying a firearm in Maryland, FAGEDDABOUTIT. They won't give permits to residents unless you're connected.
    They gave one to Sid Kramer--former Montgomery County Executive.
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast