advice on S.C. CWP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

advice on S.C. CWP

This is a discussion on advice on S.C. CWP within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I'm new to this forum and need some advice, when I was twenty and had just moved out of my ...

Default advice on S.C. CWP

I'm new to this forum and need some advice, when I was twenty and had just moved out of my parents house I lost my job and wrote 6 bad checks for which warrants where taking out for me, I was arrested for the warrants and paid the buisiness that I wrote the checks to and paid court cost, this is considered a misdemeaner in S.C.. I am 16 years older now and have not had so much as a traffic ticket since, the question is will S.C. allow me to get a cwp with this stupid decision I made 16 years ago hanging over my head

You will probably be OK.

thanks for the advice, the guidlines are so grey on what S.C. will or will not turn down, I wouldn't want to put the money and time into getting a cwp if it's gonna get turned down in the end

Put on your application - Bad checks 16 years ago but all cleared - and you should be fine. If you want to call SLED and make sure but I never heard of them turning someone down for that.

You must be a resident, you must be 21 or older, and you must be able to legally own a firearm. That means no felony convictions and certain misdemeanor charges like criminal domestic violence and violations of SC section 16-23-465 (unlawfully carrying a pistol or firearm onto the premises of a business selling alcoholic beverages for on-site consumption).

I got this from pages 28-29 of the book, South Carolina Gun Law. You can get this book off of the SC Grassroots website.

You will be fine just tell them,, I had some in my past but it did not hurt me

thanks fella's, I feel a bit easier now, no these misdemeaner is all there is, in fact I just purchased a mil pro 145 about 7 or 8 months ago so no problems as far as that goes, but those mistake haunt me everyday if you have kids going out on there own please tell them the decisions that they make early in life will cause problems for them a long time after everything is settled in court, and not to be too proud to ask help from mom and dad if needed a little wisedom will get you a long ways sometime, thanks for the advice again fella's

G50AE is offline Banned

This should not be a problem for you, unless one of the misdemeanor convictions was for domestic violence.

If possible, get the actual dates from the jurisdiction in which you were charged. Include an attachment that lists each one separately with the dates and outcome of restitution, etc.... Just give the complete details and You will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by shhmitty View Post
    I'm new to this forum and need some advice, when I was twenty and had just moved out of my parents house I lost my job and wrote 6 bad checks for which warrants where taking out for me, I was arrested for the warrants and paid the buisiness that I wrote the checks to and paid court cost, this is considered a misdemeaner in S.C.. I am 16 years older now and have not had so much as a traffic ticket since, the question is will S.C. allow me to get a cwp with this stupid decision I made 16 years ago hanging over my head
    South Carolina is a must issue state. You don't need to do any of that stuff these guys are saying. There are only three questions you must answer (yes to all):

Are you a South Carolina resident or qualified non‐resident (Section 23‐31‐210, SC Code of Laws)? Yes No
    Do you certify successful completion of handgun training (Section 23‐31‐210, SC Code of Laws)? Yes No
    Are you allowed by all applicable federal/state laws and court orders to possess a handgun? Yes No

You need to sign the form to affirm the following is true:
     I am eligible for a South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permit pursuant to Sections 23‐31‐210/215, SC Code of Laws.
     I am not prohibited from possessing a handgun pursuant to Section 922, Title 18, United States Code.
     I will notify SLED immediately if I become prohibited by federal/state laws or court orders from possessing a handgun.
     I acknowledge false information may cause denial of my application and subject me to any applicable criminal penalties.
     My signature certifies I have reviewed the entire application and all information on it is true and correct.

No problem!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast