Procedure if Pulled Over - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Procedure if Pulled Over

This is a discussion on Procedure if Pulled Over within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Originally Posted by kelcarry Hey Geezer1: These forums have discussed this time and time again and for every answer one ...

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Geezer1: These forums have discussed this time and time again and for every answer one way, there is always an answer the other way. In many states it is easy--ie. in SC, where I live, you must present your CCWP if you are CC--period end of story. In other states there is no clear direction; personally I agree with Glock Fan---I see no reason to "surprise" an LEO--but others will argue that you are opening a "pandora's box" by telling an LEO something "dangerous" that he did not ask about, thus putting you at risk before an LEO who may not even know what the rules for CC are in his state. Some states are beginning to have info on CCWPs in their data base that will appear on an LEO's screen when he prompts for your car info--if you have not told him anything, he could find that somewhat suspicious thus causing you more problems.
    kelcarry.

Well there certainly seems to be some difference in opinions, but ya know, if we all were thinking the same way then maybe some of us would not be thinking and just following. Since starting this thread I certainly have enjoyed the inputs and as afore mentioned, I have concluded if stopped I will keep my hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel, lowlight I will turn on the dome light, be polite, follow instructions and make no quick alerting moves.....regardless if I am holding or not.
    We have a ministry in our Church to those who are be detained and to the law enforcement. I know there are bad apples in most every keg, but I believe the LEO have there hands full. Thanks

In Ohio, I believe it is a felony if you do not inform in the situation you describe. The way I see it, we are on the same side of th law as LEO, so why not tell them even if you are not required? Of course, this is coming from soneone who has a brother who is a Cleveland cop, so that may color my thinking.

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    In Ohio, I believe it is a felony if you do not inform in the situation you describe. The way I see it, we are on the same side of th law as LEO, so why not tell them even if you are not required? Of course, this is coming from soneone who has a brother who is a Cleveland cop, so that may color my thinking.

Neal
    Glad you posted. I am from Ohio and go back frequently to visit. Of course, I will check the laws in each state prior to traveling . Couple of good posts here about SC. Thanks

Hey Y'all: I do not know what the LEOs are in your neck of the woods but where I live in Mt. Pleasant, SC, the LEOs are well trained, all college grads, and very professional. We have a citizens police academy and, if you want, you can get to know literally everything about our LEOs and their duties; you can ride along on any shift with any LEO by requesting same. Bottom line is if you get pulled over (probably because you really did violate a traffic law) you get back what you give. If you are polite and answer his questions and treat him with respect, you get it back in spades. If you want to "exert your rights", which some posters feel is the proper way to go, then you should expect the LEO to do the same, which may not be to your liking. Obey the traffic laws and none of this comes up. I have had only one occasion to be pulled over(before I had a CCWP)--did whatever he wanted--answered his questions and although I was in the wrong, I was given a "warning" and told to have a nice day. I know our Chief personally and his philosophy on traffic enforcement is that in the scheme of crime prevention and protecting citizens, traffic enforcement, although important for overall traffic safety, is far from the top of his list on police matters. It is probably very different in many areas where our posters live and their "take" can be understood, particularly if it is different from mine and that is really a shame.

Ladyrossi is offline Ladyrossi

I also tell my students to keep hands on the steering wheel and fingers splayed so officer knows nothing is hidden between hand and wheel. Look at officer, don't hide face or eyes. When the officer asked for your license, insurance, registration and so forth - right then say you have a Concealed permit and whether or not you are armed (duh). In TN we get our permits through the Dept of Motor Vehicles so they should know if you are in your vehicle. I don't suggest you use the word 'gun', just permit or concealed weapon because in traffic you don't know what they may here. Then do as instructed. Stay in, get out, retrieve paperwork, etc. But... first! Don't give them a reason to pull you over. Yes, a CCW holder is usually in good standing with the authorities and many are treated with kid gloves.

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

I have not had the pleasure to have been pulled over while carring, but I think that I would not hesitate to tell the officer. Heck, aren't we on the same side? I see it as common respect. He/she are doing thier job in attempting to enforce traffic laws. No need to make a thankless job more difficult.

Curious...(assuming not a Must Inform state) will you also inform the officer about the box of tissues and the McDonalds bag in the back seat? Its really the same thing. All 3 items are perfectly legal for you to have...so its not "hiding" it by not mentioning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post

Neal

Incorrect. It is a misdemeanor.

OH 2923.12

(B) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code shall do any of the following:

(1) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying a concealed handgun, fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the person after the person has been stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then is carrying a concealed handgun;

(2) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and if the person is carrying a concealed handgun, knowingly fail to keep the person’s hands in plain sight at any time after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the person while stopped and before the law enforcement officer leaves, unless the failure is pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by a law enforcement officer;

(3) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose, if the person is carrying a concealed handgun, and if the person is approached by any law enforcement officer while stopped, knowingly remove or attempt to remove the loaded handgun from the holster, pocket, or other place in which the person is carrying it, knowingly grasp or hold the loaded handgun, or knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the person’s hands or fingers at any time after the law enforcement officer begins approaching and before the law enforcement officer leaves, unless the person removes, attempts to remove, grasps, holds, or has contact with the loaded handgun pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by the law enforcement officer;

(4) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and if the person is carrying a concealed handgun, knowingly disregard or fail to comply with any lawful order of any law enforcement officer given while the person is stopped, including, but not limited to, a specific order to the person to keep the person’s hands in plain sight.

(3) Except as otherwise provided in this division, carrying concealed weapons in violation of division (B)(1) of this section is a misdemeanor of the first degree, and, in addition to any other penalty or sanction imposed for a violation of division (B)(1) of this section, the offender’s license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun shall be suspended pursuant to division (A)(2) of section 2923.128 of the Revised Code. If, at the time of the stop of the offender for a law enforcement purpose that was the basis of the violation, any law enforcement officer involved with the stop had actual knowledge that the offender has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun, carrying concealed weapons in violation of division (B)(1) of this section is a minor misdemeanor, and the offender’s license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun shall not be suspended pursuant to division (A)(2) of section 2923.128 of the Revised Code.

(4) Carrying concealed weapons in violation of division (B)(2) or (4) of this section is a misdemeanor of the first degree or, if the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of division (B)(2) or (4) of this section, a felony of the fifth degree. In addition to any other penalty or sanction imposed for a misdemeanor violation of division (B)(2) or (4) of this section, the offender’s license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun shall be suspended pursuant to division (A)(2) of section 2923.128 of the Revised Code.

TN. If pulled over we must inform the LEO that we have a permit!
    First off in class we were told to pull over turn off the car. Place our hands on the steering wheels sit still. When the LEO comes to the window in form him you have a permit ask how do you want to proceed? Also if you have more than one person in the car with a permit he must be told that also! Plus they should also place their hands where they can be seen an sit still! Then natually follow his instuctions to the letter! If we don't have our weapon with us then we don't have to say anything! Thats would be highly unlikely for us or me!
    TN uses your driver licence # has your permit # so once they pull up one they will get the other ! So if its on you & they come back they might be a whole lot ticked off if they aren't informed up front!!

Quote Originally Posted by hollie1 View Post
    TN. If pulled over we must inform the LEO that we have a permit!

TN has no such law.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    TN has no such law.
    I "NEVER SAID IT WAS LAW"!!
    We we're told to follow this what I said! This class was by a the SHERIFFS DEPARTMENT!
    SO I will follow what THEY SAY if I ever do get pulled over!
    You can do what ever YOU WISH!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast