NY State carry permits
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NY State carry permits

This is a discussion on NY State carry permits within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I live in NJ and owne a home and 15 acers in Washington County for the past 20 plus years ...

Default NY State carry permits

I live in NJ and owne a home and 15 acers in Washington County for the past 20 plus years and am a advid hunter.

Is there any way to get a carry permit in Washington county. I currently have a Florida carry permit and am applying for a NJ permit as a Armed Security Guard.

What do I need to do short of changing my perement assress.
    Can I be considered a dual resident since I spend 100 to 120 days each year in NY.

NY must be your permanent residence. And once you leave, you lose your CCW privileges.
    " I carry a gun because cops are too heavy" ~ Unknown

G50AE is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VTLO910 View Post
    And once you leave, you lose your CCW privileges.
    If indeed you are able to get them in the first place.

NYS law does not prohibit issuance of pistol permits to nonresidents, but a county can only issue pistol permits to residents of the county, and the state will not issue a pistol permit to a nonresident, so there is no way to get one.

In Bach v. Pataki a non-resident tried to force the issuance of a non-resident pistol permit but failed because the existing law did not impose the second amendment on the states, and did not provide for an individual right to bear arms.

the Heller decision and the expected outcome in the McDonald case may change the outcome of a case like Bach v. Pataki.

Bach had some decent credentials but still couldn't get NY to voluntarily issue a non-resident permit:

David Bach, a Virginia resident and domiciliary, wants to carry his Ruger P-85 9mm pistol while visiting his parents in New York. He has a permit from the Commonwealth of Virginia to carry a concealed weapon. Bach is a model citizen - he holds a Department of Defense top secret security clearance, is a commissioned officer in the United States Naval Reserve, a veteran Navy SEAL, a lawyer employed by the Navy's Office of the General Counsel, a father of three, and, perhaps most laudably, a son who regularly visits his parents in upstate New York.

I thought I read somewhere that if you carry on business in NY City, even if not a resident, you can get a permit?

theicemanmpls is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by torontogunguy View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that if you carry on business in NY City, even if not a resident, you can get a permit?
    Only the criminals,the connected,LEO, retired LEO, and the wealthy have permits to carry in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    Only the criminals,the connected,LEO, retired LEO, and the wealthy have permits to carry in NYC.
    I'll bet Mayor Bloomberg's security detail are all armed.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I'll bet Mayor Bloomberg's security detail are all armed.
    Its funny you say that. He brags about taking mass transit to work every morning with the everyday worker but doesn't tell about the long list of NYPD officer that race to each and every train station he stops in as he stops there as his security detail to secure the area... LOL that guy is a joke.

NY must be your permanent residence. And once you leave, you lose your CCW privileges.
    There have been permits issued to non-residents. There are not many though. Most of the time, you need to own a full time business in that county. The chances of obtaining one are very small, but it has been done in the past.

I've heard this before...but there is nothing in the statutes that says moving from the state is grounds for revocation. Now...renewing may be an issue...but the current permit should still be good until expiration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast