Can't carry while hunting?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Can't carry while hunting?

This is a discussion on Can't carry while hunting? within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; While hunting in Massachusetts, I just discovered that they will not allow me to carry my licensed firearm concealed during ...

Default Can't carry while hunting?

While hunting in Massachusetts, I just discovered that they will not allow me to carry my licensed firearm concealed during archery season.

This is basically what the law says:

"During the exclusive archery season for deer, a person hunting deer shall not use or have in possession a shotgun, rifle or firearm of any kind."

I'd feel a lot more comfortable carrying a .45 while in the woods with Black Bears. Any way around this?

theicemanmpls is offline Banned

While in the woods, wear it in a holster. When returning to your truck, or camp, put it in your backpack. You will be illegal. However, you won't be dead. The wardens usually work the roads, and parking areas. They only hit private property, or go into the woods, if they suspect a crime. To much area to cover.
    Remember a while back, In the Wisconsin woods, some immigrant went wacko in the head and gun downed five hunters who left their rifles in the hunting cabin.
    Ever since, when I am in the woods, I carry a light weight side arm.

Ankle holster??
    I'm with you.. The best defense against bears is NOT a good pair of Sneakers...
    You have to make a choice.. All choices CAN have consequences.. You have to weigh the pro's and Con's for yourself and decide what makes since for you, the possibility of being attacked by a bear unarmed, or the possibility of being stopped AND SEARCHED by a LEO..
    IF you shoot a bear and get caught, at least you will be alive...
    DO NOT carry a gun that has a Scope..

NOTE my Signature picture..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

I'll be:

"federal offense, loss of LTC, never carry again" illegal

-or-

"Lose my deer tag, get a fine" illegal?

theicemanmpls is offline Banned

The odds of getting mauled by a black bear are very low.

If your bow is capable of taking a deer, it should be adequate to take a bear. Your hunting buddy or buddies should be able to catch your "6" while tagging and field dressing a freshly harvested deer. Be sure you have the proper broad heads that will do the job if a rabid bear chooses you as a target.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

The law in California was the same, no firearms in archery season. And I met up with more than a few wardens in the back country over the years, so that happens. I usually hunted in cougar and bear country, and I never carried, 25 years doing archery.

I definitely would not break the law, and wouldn't advocate such on a public forum.

I've been around black bears my entire life, I don't understand the fear on these gun boards about them. 300,000,000 people in the lower 48 and they are not eating folks every week.

The iceman makes a good point. I'd be more scared of two legged critters than bears. But a modern bow is plenty of defense for them.

gvaldeg1 is offline NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    If your bow is capable of taking a deer, it should be adequate to take a bear. Your hunting buddy or buddies should be able to catch your "6" while tagging and field dressing a freshly harvested deer. Be sure you have the proper broad heads that will do the job if a rabid bear chooses you as a target.

gf
    I agree with you completely! I used to bow hunt and I'd bet on a good hunting bow and broad-heads stopping a Black Bear more effectively than the 45 this guy is talking about. Just for interest...Howard Hill stopped a bull elephant in Africa in 1950 with a bow. He was using 41 inch arrows and a 115 pound draw bow but...it was an elephant that he was hunting.

Howard Hill - Ol' One-Shot!

The average deer hunting rig should stop a bear easily.
    MOLON LABE

op. were did you get this from. Im from Mass and trying to find the law. The only thing I found was no dogs or any other firearms during shotgun deer season.

I also carry during archery season I just make sure Im really careful Hiding it in my truck when going to and from woods most game wardens dont search you unless you have commited a infraction so just be safe and use your head and should be no problems i've been doing it for 7 years now without incident good luck happy hunting

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast