Anyone know about this?

Anyone know about this?

This is a discussion on Anyone know about this? within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Question for my fellow firearm enthusiasts...I have a person who is a LEO and he is being laid off from ...

svrivera is offline NRA-Get Some!

Default Anyone know about this?

Question for my fellow firearm enthusiasts...I have a person who is a LEO and he is being laid off from his job. He want to get CC permit. when he is not leo he has to stop carrying. is that correct? I have not come across this situation yet?
    I have an appointment next week with local pd over this. but does anyone know any thing about this?

thanks

If he's being laid off and not retiring then he ceases to be a LEO. No badge and no ID means he's not a LEO. I imagine that he'll have to get a CC permit to carry legally!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Im sure that every state is a little different. But here in my state to carry as an off duty LEO you have to meet a set of requirements. Your agency has to authorize you to carry, tell you what you can carry, etc... That would be hard to do when you are not with an agency.

On a side note, if he is CLEET certified then he can carry (in my state) concealed. He will not lose that certification because he is in between jobs (as long as he doesnt go too long, i forget the exact amount of time) But if he uses the weapon then he is in a world of hurt in court.

I would recommend to get the CCL just to be sure. I am a LEO but my department doesnt currently authorize off duty carry. I have a ccl.

Just my two cents worth.
    -Austin

svrivera is offline NRA-Get Some!

he's a jersey leo..pretty bad when he will have difficulties getting a NJ permit, thanks guys..

Do they have a reserve program? He won't get paid as a reserve officer in most cases, but I think they still have a badge and the ability to carry. Someone may chime in on this if I'm incorrect.

Jason
    Jason
    Michigan

Glockster20 is offline Clinging to God and guns

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadAllis View Post
    Do they have a reserve program? He won't get paid as a reserve officer in most cases, but I think they still have a badge and the ability to carry. Someone may chime in on this if I'm incorrect.

Jason
    Yes... They have a badge and a commission card (ID). If they have graduated the academy then they are certified through the state as a peace officer. Here in AL, in order for your certification to remain "active", you have to at least be working in law enforcement in a reserve capacity.

When I was a Federal Officer here in WV I just had to show my Creds to get my CCL. And my certificate showing Academy training. I would think it would be the same elsewhere. Your cert should have the Firearms training and Qual on it. May want to check into that with Co Sheriff.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    US Army Retired
    Prior Federal Police Officer Instructor