Problem with inter-state CC travel
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problem with inter-state CC travel

This is a discussion on Problem with inter-state CC travel within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Hi members, I'm new to this group. I'm impressed with the comments I've seen so far - very helpful and ...

G19

Default Problem with inter-state CC travel

Hi members,
    I'm new to this group. I'm impressed with the comments I've seen so far - very helpful and supportive.

I have CCLs from OR and UT (non-res.), which I've just discovered are not adequate for some trips, like this one, which involves interstate driving.

After a bit of research, on this site and links, I've concluded that I can't take my gun with me on our vacation to the East Coast from OR. My wife will be attending a class reunion at Camp Lejeune and then we plan to drive down to FL to visit one of her friends there. We'll be driving thru NC, SC, GA, and FL, but being from OR, my CCLs are only good for NC and GA, thanks to the lack of reciprocity with the other 2 states. It appears that traveling by car between states with a gun can be a challenge. Anyway, I'm off to a disappointing start with the traveling part of CC. :(

As long as you have a permit for the state you live in, then you can travel with your gun. For the states you do NOT have a permit for, just unload it, and keep it in a locked container, ammo seperate, in the trunk. You can TRANSPORT you weapon in any state, you just cant carry concealed.

G19

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the clarification that I can still transport the unloaded gun in the trunk, even though I don't have a CCL for those states. I'll now reconsider taking it with me.

Quote Originally Posted by G19 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification that I can still transport the unloaded gun in the trunk, even though I don't have a CCL for those states. I'll now reconsider taking it with me.
    I ALWAYS take my weapon with me on trips, whether by airline, scooter, or car. Part of having a concealed permit and carrying a firearm is learning the laws of the land. You should learn, also, how to interact with an LEO during a routine traffic stop. Say or do the wrong thing and it's off to the hoosegow for you!

You'll find a lot of help regarding all this on this site. Good luck!
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

badarac is offline Rich B

SC shouldn't be a problem. The gun can be carried legally in your vehicle as long as it's in a closed compartment with an integral fastener such as a glove box, console, or worst case in the trunk. No permit required.
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.

Default obtaining a concealed permit reciprocity from mass

Hey Folks, I was told about this site from a firearms instructor here in Mass. I have a class A concealed carry permit from Mass. I have an RV and plan to travel/traverse across the horizontal plane of this great country freely, this summer. I am looking for information on which states offer reciprocity with Mass, and found them on the reciprocity map, but now what? Do I have to contact particular states one at a time or is there a short-cut state that I can contact and pay online somehow. I don't feel comfortable traveling without mu firearms. I realize there is an interstate law that allows me to travel with my firearms, but what good are they if they have to be locked up and unloaded?
    Thanks,
    Terry, AKA The Green Jigger

Quote Originally Posted by G19 View Post
    Hi members,
    I'm new to this group. I'm impressed with the comments I've seen so far - very helpful and supportive.

I have CCLs from OR and UT (non-res.), which I've just discovered are not adequate for some trips, like this one, which involves interstate driving.

After a bit of research, on this site and links, I've concluded that I can't take my gun with me on our vacation to the East Coast from OR. My wife will be attending a class reunion at Camp Lejeune and then we plan to drive down to FL to visit one of her friends there. We'll be driving thru NC, SC, GA, and FL, but being from OR, my CCLs are only good for NC and GA, thanks to the lack of reciprocity with the other 2 states. It appears that traveling by car between states with a gun can be a challenge. Anyway, I'm off to a disappointing start with the traveling part of CC. :(
    I just took a road trip from OR to ME....yeah that was a long drive. I hold permits from OR, FL, ME, and NH. My ccw path went like this: OR- NV- the law is silent on car carry so i figured thats close enuf. UT- WY- NE- Iowa-(on the way home it should be better because it would be after the first of the year. GO SHALL ISSUE IOWA!!) Then onto IL Indiana- Ohio- PA-...then into NY- and on into MA- Ugh that was a stressful bunch of hours....then back into the free world when I entered into NH- and finally into ME- 4 days, 3 nights, and 14 states.

I would have to say that I thought WY was the prettyest state. And all the wind mills of Iowa were a nice sight too. Anyway, just been dying to share my road trip with the group and I hadnt posted in a while. Now i just gotta find a shooting range in the western ME/ eastern NH area.....

I don't understand why everyone gets so hung up on the whole permit thing. Folks, let me clue you in on a little secret, please.... 1. In about 48 states you don't need a permit to transport your firearm in your vehicle. You don't even need a permit in CA to transport a gun in your vehicle!

2. In many states, you don't need a permit to open carry a loaded gun on your belt, or in your car.

3. Having a permit in your home state is not really required (especially if you are taking advantage of the Federal law).

Here's a couple good resources:

OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

You especially want to look at the open carry and transportation maps. Click on an individual state to get a summary for that state.

Handgunlaw.us

Click on a state to get specifics.

You can either transport your firearm in accordance with state laws, or you can choose to follow the one federal law, Firearms Owners Protection Act (FOPA) 18 USC 926a:

United States Code: Title 18,926A. Interstate transportation of firearms | LII / Legal Information Institute

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    Notice that in the above law, the gun only has to be unloaded and in the trunk. Ammo goes in the trunk with the firearm (just not in the firearm!), NOT separate! If you have the ammo in the passenger compartment, and the gun in the trunk, you have not complied with the above law! The firearm and the ammo can be in the same locked container inside the passenger compartment if you vehicle does not have a trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Notice that in the above law, the gun only has to be unloaded and in the trunk. Ammo goes in the trunk with the firearm (just not in the firearm!), NOT separate! If you have the ammo in the passenger compartment, and the gun in the trunk, you have not complied with the above law! The firearm and the ammo can be in the same locked container inside the passenger compartment if you vehicle does not have a trunk.

I always point this fact out to folks also.

Something else I noticed when reading the law. In the case of say a pickup truck...

Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driverís compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    Kinda interesting if you think about that point. Only one "piece of the puzzle" has to be locked up.

handgonnetoter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I don't understand why everyone gets so hung up on the whole permit thing. Folks, let me clue you in on a little secret, please.... 1. In about 48 states you don't need a permit to transport your firearm in your vehicle. You don't even need a permit in CA to transport a gun in your vehicle!

2. In many states, you don't need a permit to open carry a loaded gun on your belt, or in your car.

3. Having a permit in your home state is not really required (especially if you are taking advantage of the Federal law).

Here's a couple good resources:

OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

You especially want to look at the open carry and transportation maps. Click on an individual state to get a summary for that state.

Handgunlaw.us

Click on a state to get specifics.

You can either transport your firearm in accordance with state laws, or you can choose to follow the one federal law, Firearms Owners Protection Act (FOPA) 18 USC 926a:

United States Code: Title 18,926A. Interstate transportation of firearms | LII / Legal Information Institute

Thanks for that info., it was nice to get some clarification on that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast