Sheriff appeals of gun permits for pot users
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sheriff appeals of gun permits for pot users

This is a discussion on Sheriff appeals of gun permits for pot users within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Washington County, Oregon Sheriff Rob Gordon thinks he should have at least as much discretion in handing out concealed weapons ...

rainman97361 is offline Rainman

Default Sheriff appeals of gun permits for pot users

Washington County, Oregon Sheriff Rob Gordon thinks he should have at least as much discretion in handing out concealed weapons permits as an employer has in deciding who to hire and fire.
    Re-ignited by a recent Oregon Supreme Court ruling saying employers can use federal drug law as a reason to fire medical marijuana users, Washington County commissioners said Tuesday that their top law enforcement official should be able to stop the same legal pot smokers from carrying concealed handguns...

Sheriff appeals of gun permits for pot users | OregonLive.com

I'm thinking I agree with this one. People under the influence aren't well known for making responsible decisions.

Pot heads can't own guns per federal law!

-Doc

While I am not a user of illegal substances, and I don't condone casually breaking the law, I can see this is going to be a major problem in our near future.

States will be legalizing marijuana beginning this November and the gray area of 'medicinal marijuana' will expand into a much larger problem.

I see all of this as a responsibility problem. If someone is responsible in their use of any mind or mood altering substance and is also responsible with their guns, there's no problem. If a person has a problem we already have laws in place to take care of it.

The sheriff is looking for a way to extend and abuse his authority. If all the various products are legally possessed, he should stay out of peoples' lives.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Unfettered Might is offline Μολών λαβέ

I would say no to prohibition from owning a firearm because of medicinal use of marijuana.

13 states have allowed it, more will follow.

Should we ban users of prescription narcotic drugs from owning firearms? Because if you use the "not clear headed" argument, you would have to include them as well.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

IT'S A FRIGGIN SHAME...........The whole discussion about legal weed is NOT about your individual rights of free choice, BUT ONLY allowed on the ballot for the purpose of expanding the tax base. Does no one understand how ludicrous this is. It's all about taxation and supporting the inane programs they refuse to cut.
    As for use of any intoxicant, not my personal choice to use. IF YOU DO, don't operate, carry or get in my face. The most belligerent people I've ever met in my life were all intoxicated. If you self medicate, please stay in the privacy of your own home. (This will start a ruckus)

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    No legitimate, lawful, use per federal law, or any established medical opinion (save for a few approved meds)
    You name one prescription "equivalent" that is as effective as the real thing and I bet I can get you a patient who will disagree with you.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    IF YOU DO, don't operate, carry or get in my face. The most belligerent people I've ever met in my life were all intoxicated.
    I agree on the intoxicated part, but have you ever really met a belligerent pot smoker?

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    You name one prescription "equivalent" that is as effective as the real thing and I bet I can get you a patient who will disagree with you.
    Despite heavy, lawful, legitimate research, there is no evidence supporting use of smoked pot.

I can easily find patients who would love to be legally stoned too. Still, that does NOT reach the level of medical evidence!

All "Medical Marijuana" laws are a ploy, crafted simply to allow stoners some legal dope.

I was just reading that once the peoples republik of kalifornicatia, legalizes the dope, the price (and the tax) will surely crash.

There goes the ploy of vast amounts of tax revenue flowing in!

Of course, how are you going to tax each and every pot-head growing his own stuff? honor system ?

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    I agree on the intoxicated part, but have you ever really met a belligerent pot smoker?

Isn't that an oxymoron?

I have met a belligerent pot smoke many times. Each I asked them to leave, nicely, they refused and became belligerent. So yes pot can make people belligerent.
    NRA CRSO and Instructor: Certified Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Certified Home Firearm Safety, Refuse to Be a Victim
    SABRE Civilian Safety Awareness Program Instructor

theicemanmpls is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    Despite heavy, lawful, legitimate research, there is no evidence supporting use of smoked pot.

I can easily find patients who would love to be legally stoned too. Still, that does NOT reach the level of medical evidence!

All "Medical Marijuana" laws are a ploy, crafted simply to allow stoners some legal dope.

I was just reading that once the peoples republik of kalifornicatia, legalizes the dope, the price (and the tax) will surely crash.

There goes the ploy of vast amounts of tax revenue flowing in!

Of course, how are you going to tax each and every pot-head growing his own stuff? honor system ?

-Doc
    Back yard pot, while it will work, is not the same as medicinal, as the stuff you can buy at the high school.
    Cultivation of pot is a science all to itself. In fact, several community colleges in California offer certificates, and degree's in pot cultivation.
    I pretict pot will be commercially produced, and taxed.

Regarding the paranoia about everyone getting stoned, and not working, IMO, not true. If you want pot today, make a phone call. The same people using today, will be the same using tomrow.

I am waiting for the ATF to knock down my door. I admited to using pot.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast