CCW in Albany County, NY

CCW in Albany County, NY

This is a discussion on CCW in Albany County, NY within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I got my pistol permit early this year with restrictions that were written on the permit: Hunting and Target Only. ...

Default CCW in Albany County, NY

I got my pistol permit early this year with restrictions that were written on the permit: Hunting and Target Only.

Does anyone think it would be worth it to write a letter to the Judge to see about removing the restrictions so that I am allowed to carry concealed? I would hardly ever carry concealed, but I simply don't like the idea of restrictions. I was given a permit to CARRY, but it's restricted?!

I guess it couldn't hurt to request the restrictions lifted, but what does everyone think about this?

It won't hurt to ask but I think you better have some convincing reasons as to why you NEED to conceal. Your best bet is to vote in a judge that recognizes the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by bhcmst View Post
    I got my pistol permit early this year with restrictions that were written on the permit: Hunting and Target Only.

Does anyone think it would be worth it to write a letter to the Judge to see about removing the restrictions so that I am allowed to carry concealed? I would hardly ever carry concealed, but I simply don't like the idea of restrictions. I was given a permit to CARRY, but it's restricted?!

I guess it couldn't hurt to request the restrictions lifted, but what does everyone think about this?
    I have a friend in Rensselaer County who got an unrestricted, but heard Albany County is pretty hard.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdls View Post
    I have a friend in Rensselaer County who got an unrestricted, but heard Albany County is pretty hard.
    I've heard the same. It seems that Albany County is one of the toughest in the state.

G50AE is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Grunt View Post
    Your best bet is to vote in a judge that recognizes the 2nd.
    How about voting in a legislature that passes shall-issue carry? I sugested that people do that in Alabama, and got flamed for my efforts.

Follow up: I sent a letter to my judge asking for the removal of restrictions. I stated no reason for needing a CCW. I simply said that I would like the option to carry concealed. About 6 weeks later, I received my letter in the mail informing me that my new permit was ready to be picked up!

boy did you get lucky...you better start carrying it all the time. There are no reasons why ny is doing this, they just can't let go. you guys have to vote out bloomberg and shumer.

Quote Originally Posted by one each View Post
    boy did you get lucky...you better start carrying it all the time. There are no reasons why ny is doing this, they just can't let go. you guys have to vote out bloomberg and shumer.
    Bloomberg has nothing to do with NYS restrictive gun laws. He is the mayor of a city, not the governor of the state.

Schumer has nothing to do with NYS restrictive gun laws, he is a US senator, not a NYS senator.

The solution is to get NYS legislators to change the law to "shall issue without restriction unless specific reasons are given for a restriction or denial." At least then you would be able to challenge a restriction or a denial based on specifics rather than the whim of the issuing officer.