CC questions for the 1911 group
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

CC questions for the 1911 group

This is a discussion on CC questions for the 1911 group within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Hi, I'm new to this site,and I have found it to be a wealth of information. I have a couple ...

Default CC questions for the 1911 group

Hi, I'm new to this site,and I have found it to be a wealth of information. I have a couple of questions for 1911 CC carriers. First off, how do you carry your 1911, "cocked and Locked" (hammer back,safety on) or "stand by" (round chambered, and hammer at half cock)I have been given advice by other people. (mostly non-1911 CC carriers) And I'd like to hear from this group. Second, What holster do you use. I have a Citadel 1911 CSP, with a BlackHawk Serpa Holster that I plan to carry "strongside". Thanks in advance for the advice.

Bob

The 1911 was designed to be carried in "condition one"... that is... round in the chamber, hammer back, and safety on. I've been carrying that way for over 40 years, with no problems at all. Holster choice is very subjective, but my holsters are made by Kirkpatrick Leather, Laredo TX. ... this particular one,

Kirkpatrick Leather Concealment Holsters - The Texas Strong Side

or this one .....

Kirkpatrick Concealment Leather Holsters - The Under Cover
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

BOB-O welcome to the site. I CC a 1911A1 Springfield cocked & locked, although at first it seen dangerous. After extensive reading here and doing Google searches. I began to understand the reasoning. While in the #1 position to discharge a round you'll have to have three events happen prior to hearing BOOM!
    1. Firm grip-Safety #1
    2. Thumb Safety OFF #2
    3. Trigger squeezed #3
    #1 is the biggie because 2 & 3 will not happen. Some have said " But if someone grabs your weapon so your grip is light or broken" My reply is you should have never let them get that close. OR if events just happen that way.....1911A1 are great for pistol whipping, driving nails and occasionally breaking up ice for the cooler.
    Hope this helps some, keep researching. ALL THE ABOVE is just MHO. Do with it as you deem. Again Welcome from SC.

As for Holsters for CC. Due to the size of a 1911A1 I recommend SOB for light days..........Shoulder, pistol parallel to the ground for heavy days!
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

I always carry "Cocked and Locked."

I keep it in strong side holster under shirt and/or a vest.

I have a "Safepacker" rig for backpacking or other situations.

In the summer, it gets carried a lot less.

-Doc

thanks all, i love this site for ALL the info and opinions. My Citadel has a 3.5" barrel and doesnt seem to print with the Blackhawk holster and a tee shirt. i plan on a SOB holster for summer while riding the motorcycle. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    The 1911 was designed to be carried in "condition one"... that is... round in the chamber, hammer back, and safety on. I've been carrying that way for over 40 years, with no problems at all. Holster choice is very subjective, but my holsters are made by Kirkpatrick Leather, Laredo TX. ... this particular one,

Kirkpatrick Leather Concealment Holsters - The Texas Strong Side
    What he said ^.
    Minus about 33 years.

Welcome Bob-O. As for your question: I carry in condition one, (hammer back, safety on, round chambered.) and I use a shoulder holster daily.

Condition 1 Always Don Hume IWB holster

G50AE is offline Banned

The reason the 1911 has a grip safety, is that it was designed as a cavalry pistol and the grip safety is the primary safety. The frame mounted safety it was thought could easily be knocked off-safe durring carry. Since the 1911 was designed to be safe if carried with the thumb safety off-safe, it is perfectly acceptable to carry it cocked and locked.

BoB O,

I am another that has carried a 1911 for many years, always cocked and locked. That is the way the pistol was designed to be carried.

Like many here I have a bushel basket full of holsters. My advice is to buy a top quality rig from Sparks, Rosen, Kirkpatrick or one of the other top leather folks. I also suggest a double thickness gun belt that is the same width as the loops in your holster. Minimum width is 1.25 inches. The belt is the foundation of your carry rig, if it is not right or does not provide good vertical stiffness the pistol will not carry well and you’ll get tired of pulling up your britches.

IMO the SOB holster is not a secure position for carry. It is behind you, in a crowd I worry about losing control of the weapon not to mention gun retention techniques don’t work well with the SOB (No I am not a karate expert). I was at a small café in Bisbee, AZ when a rider came in sat down and his vest pulled completely up and over his Glock in a SOB. Folks where beside, behind and walking past him for the better part of an hour, he was oblivious that the weapon was completely exposed.
    I use Mitch Rosen gear…good stuff.
    Rosen Product Line

Good Luck,

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast