Pocket Pistol Vs. Compact - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Pocket Pistol Vs. Compact

This is a discussion on Pocket Pistol Vs. Compact within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Originally Posted by tpaul513 I am going to get my ccw and I am trying to decide what gun to ...

Default Pocket guns

Quote Originally Posted by tpaul513 View Post
    I am going to get my ccw and I am trying to decide what gun to carry. I have thought about a pocket pistol, like the Ruger LCP or the Taurus TCP in .380. I have also thought about getting a compact gun in a larger caliber that is a little more comfortable to handle. I like the idea of carrying a pocket pistol for the concealability aspect but I don't like how small they are. I would rather have a larger gun and carry in the waist band but I don't know how comfortable that would be and if I would find it to uncomfortable to carry. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
    I myself have been carrying the kel-tec P11 as what I call my back up, it's small enough for your pocket and holds 10 9mm rounds in the mag. and one in the pipe safety ( 21 total rounds ) is the long trigger pull such as the Glock uses. but I also carry a Bersa Thunder 40 Hi-cap ( extra high cap mag 13 rounds total 26 rounds ) with a fobus plastic paddle holster, a Beretta 92FS with a blackhawk serpa model 2, a FEG (Hungarian made browning High power ) with 2 High Cap mags ( total 46 rounds ) plus the one in the pipe. with mainly Uncle Mikes holsters, then my baby a S&W 629 4" barrel, with 2 speed loader ( total 18 rounds ), I carry the S&W 629 in a Galco High ride Leather holster which makes it easy for Concealed Carry.I agree it is just what your comfortable in carrying in model and make of gun matched to a holster that compliments the gun.Now take in the fact that I'm a 5'5' man in height ( I've had my CWP going on 20 years and have not yet had to pull it thank the great Spirit [ he says I'm known by many names in the Christian Bible ] { yes I'm Native American " Cherokee" ) and I carry these weapons and switch them out weekly and some times daily if I'm going to travel into a remote area's that law enforcement stays away from till the action is over or hiking in the woods (which I carry 2 ) or hunting.

Cool Primary and secondary weapon

I've been carrying concealed since 1996 and my present EDC (everyday carry) consists of a Glock 19, primary weapon, using an IWB made by Tagua (extremely comfortable) along with a Ruger LCP, secondary weapon, in a front pocket holster made by Desantis. In addition, I carry 3 spare Glock 19 mags, and 2 spare Ruger LCP mags. I'm 6' in average, large frame, and wear loose fitting clothing with slightly over-sized shirts, preferably not tucked, to compensate and enhance concealment.

For those new to the CCW world, it may sound overboard to carry 2 pistols, but to others it sounds ideal and sensible. Why a secondary pistol? Choice, peace of mind, and works for me ergonomically.

Someone previously posted you will go through holsters and possibly pistols to find the right combination that works with your body frame size and style of clothing you generally wear everyday. My advice is to rent the pistols or revolvers at a local range and see what realistically works for you in safely handling, controlling, and understanding the mechanics of the potential firearm(s) you wish to purchase.

handgonnetoter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tpaul513 View Post
    I am going to get my ccw and I am trying to decide what gun to carry. I have thought about a pocket pistol, like the Ruger LCP or the Taurus TCP in .380. I have also thought about getting a compact gun in a larger caliber that is a little more comfortable to handle. I like the idea of carrying a pocket pistol for the concealability aspect but I don't like how small they are. I would rather have a larger gun and carry in the waist band but I don't know how comfortable that would be and if I would find it to uncomfortable to carry. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
    Clint Smith, an avid gun writer and trainer, says that a carry gun should be comforting and not necessarily comfortable. I tend to agree. If you buy a good quality holster, something most new gun buyers don't do because of the 100$+ for one, you will have a good carry experience even with a full size 1911. JMHO.

Default Pocket Pistol Vs. Compact

Lots of good advice posted already but I'll just add my 2 cents and what works for me. What I carry most is split evenly between a North American Arms Guardian 380 (de-horned with no sights) in a Desantis pocket holster and a Kahr Arms PM45 carried mostly in an Alessi IWB holster or sometimes in a Desantis pocket holster. I have found that if its convenient and comfortable I won't leave home without it. You know the old adage about bringing a knife to a gunfight. It won't help you if its at home in the safe.

I also agree with a previous comment about buying what you will shoot well with. If you do not have an opportunity to try out different guns, start with how it feels in your hand. If it feels right and points naturally you're off to a good start. Don't buy it if it doesn't feel right.

spooky_t is offline Proud Michigander... Honk

As the majority has said - many of them much more qualified than me - advise is just that... advise. You really won't know until you try it both ways.
    Personally, I can't carry a pocket pistol. I already carry enough in my pockets and it's just not comfortable for me.
    Additionally, I access to a pocket pistol, for me, isn't as easy. And there is my belief (true or not) that a pistol that size isn't as accurate or, in the case of smaller calibers, doesn't have the stopping power.
    May I suggest that, if you live where there are gun shops/ranges that rent and/or sell guns and holsters, you might ask if you could to try different guns and holster setups.
    I haven't read this entire thread and someone else has probably already suggested it, but if they haven't it's just a thought.
    Good luck. I hope you find a rig that's comfortable for you.
    Above all, BE SAFE.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Thumbs up

This is a either or, neither nor answer. I have 2 friends that also carry. One carries an expensive and very nice Ed Brown 1911 (45). He prob paid $ 2,000.
    The other carries a Ruger .380 LCP. After initially going to the range quite often, I bet they go once or twice a year. They've spent countless hours debating size, type of round etc.. Not to mention their debates regarding penetration or over penetration. I just listen. Neither is proficient. I think in a " situation" both would harm the bad guy more if they threw the gun at them. Carry what you'll practice with and become proficient with. I carry a S&W 340pd (357) that I'm proficient with and hope I never need to take out other than the range.

Default What you carry depends on what you're wearing!

I have a GLock 27 (.40, 9 round clip) I like to carry in a belt clip holster just aft of my side pocket - very comfortable and easy to get to. But it's kinda hard to conceal on a hot Texas afternoon wearing a t-shirt and shorts. So I have Backup .380 that fits in a pocket holster, and that conceals just fine in my back jeans pocket, shorts or long trousers, either one.

I carry both
    Keltec P3at is always in my front pocket.
    XD9SC is my primary carry and that's IWB

Default pocket pistol v. compact

Go to a couple of ranges, and shoot the models you are thinking about buying. I have found, to some degree, guns are like shoes. When trying them on you pretty much instantly know what fits. If the carry piece is not comfortable, you won't carry. A nice compact piece at home is not much help the day you need it downtown.

Then practice. Shot placement is everything. A .380 with good defensive rounds (perhaps even +P if the gun likes it) well placed is a stopper. Larger projectiles badly placed are simply not effective stoppers so larger caliber or more fps or fp is not a substitute for shot placement.

I carry several things, at 5-10 and (cough, cough) about 220 I can get away with even my Ruger p345. But I tend to toss my Bersa CC 380 in a Ross pocket holster in my pocket day in and day out. It even slips into a few of my blazer inside pockets and most of my jacket inside pockets, so I have multiple "concealed carry" coats and blazers, without the "specialized" cost of buying dedicated pieces. Throw a couple of mags in the left back pocket and I'm good to go.

I also have a an N82 Tactical small of back holster that is so comfortable you almost forget you have it on. Also have one for my S&W M&P 9mmC. index

Whatever you choose, make sure you like it, are comfortable with it, and can hit what you point at reliably. The worst thing you can do is make a selection standing at the counter and walk out with a gun you never fired...

I agree. You need to test different guns. Some people have tried my Micro Desert Eagle and don't like how the kick rotates the gun. I like it and carry it all the time. No accidental discharge with a 10 lbs double action, no cocking required. It's different than the LCP. The Micro Desert Eagle does not like hollow points though so I use Winchester FMJ.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast