Private Security Officer Asks To See Your Permit - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Private Security Officer Asks To See Your Permit

This is a discussion on Private Security Officer Asks To See Your Permit within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Maybe it is my biker thinking, or my military frame of mind, but there is no way that I am ...

Maybe it is my biker thinking, or my military frame of mind, but there is no way that I am turning over my weapon to anyone. It is still possible for someone who has a felony to get a security guard job/license. And while that does not normally happen, there is also the fact that most cops look for reasons to arrest people (No offense to the few that actually do their jobs). It is part of their training (I have seen it first hand). And if you turn your weapon over to some guy who has a violent past or a felony conviction, you are in deep $h*t.

Then you have the spider web of trying to decipher what frame of mind the guy/lady is in when you hand them a loaded weapon. Do you really want to hand a gun to some guy who is off his meds, or just found out his wife is cheating on him with a cop? Bad Juju waiting to happen.

Waiting and offering verbal answers is no big deal in order to keep from further problems coming up. But handing over your weapon or CCW ID, not a chance, you are setting yourself up for failure with that one.
    .... And let the one having no sword sell his outer garment and buy one. ~God
    http://www.cjdefense.com/ Wisconsin

CathyInBlue is offline Tool Maker

I'm not even convinced that I have to produce my Indiana pink slip to a cop if they just demand to see it without PC or RAS. Not a chance in Hell I do it for a rent-a-cop, th at was before Calico Jack gave me more really good reasons not to do so.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

I'll agree with CathyInBlue. Keep moving, offer no unnecessary information, don't be hostile, but do not be stopped, detained or delayed from your intended actions. Ignore the question of a gun. Stick with "she's drunk, I'm not, I'm driving her home before she gets into trouble," keep moving, and get out of there. Depending on the tone of the encounter, the absolute most that guard might get in passing is, "don't worry, I've been licensed to carry for decades," but probably not even that, and certainly no confirmation of a gun.

Also, HootmonSccy has a good point about choice in friends.

Personally, I prefer my chosen life companion: always sober, lovely, incredibly sexy, big, strong, far more battles scars than I have, as well armed as I am, ex-cop, and behind that angel's face, utterly no mercy for evildoers.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

I am a Security Officer in the state of Michigan, most sites Ive worked [only at 2 have I asked for a CPL and asked to have the weapon handed to me, and only in 1 did the weapon get handed to me, I cleared it and held it for the police to arrive. The LEO had informed me in the other case that the weapon was not handed to me that in all legality when a S/O asks for the permit, they must prove they have one, and if requested, they must hand it over.
    Just like LEOs we do it for our own safety while the subject is detained for a valid reason, IE some law was broken. All this of course being on "Private Property" or at least the site I am working on.
    An FYI the one where the person handed his weapon and ID over was at a hospital, the one where the person did not, was at a bank. Neither case resulted in any charges or convictions. The LEO was very respectful and handled it very well.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    . The LEO had informed me in the other case that the weapon was not handed to me that in all legality when a S/O asks for the permit, they must prove they have one, and if requested, they must hand it over.
    Please feel free to cite the relevant statute
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

I'd have to assume that since the couple is walking "To" their car, they are leaving the property, the threat level if any is diminishing, why would I want to escalate it? Don't kick a sleeping dog, and don't take the word of a drunk for anything. I would never ask the guy if he had a gun, it's none of my business, I'm not a cop. If the guy was pointing the gun at the woman, that's a different story.

If I was the guy going to my car and asked if I had a gun , I'd politely say it was none of his business, get in my car and leave, with or without the drunk chick.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

Hey guys, I never ment to stir up so much fuss. The OP asked what "I" would do and I answered . If you feel different, so be it. Everybody needs to what they think is best. But just to clear up some things, I have no idea what is legal in other places but I do know what we have been taught in my state. While I am not an armed officer but work in another capicity, I have gone through the training and instruction classes, and we are taught that we do have the authority to detain while on duty and on the properity we are hired to protect within certain limits. These in general are that we can detain for a "reasonable time" to conduct a brief initial investigation, determine idenity, and , or, await the arrival of the police. The courts in Georgia generally support that 20 minutes is "reasonable". This must be communicated that they are NOT under arrest but only detained briefly. No physical force is to be used unless arrest is called for. For that to happen there must be probable cause. Probable cause means there is information from a realiable source or observed activity which would lead a reasonable person to believe that a crime is being commited or has been commited.
    Now, for me, someone draging a drunk whore through a dimly lit parking deck at night while she is blurting out "He has a gun" would do it for me.
    There are many other rules and laws that come into play here and I wont try to copy the entire rules book now, nor will I attempt to be an arm chair lawyer, But suffice it to say that in my state and under the right conditions, YES a private security officer CAN and will detain someone untill the police arrive.
    I dont know all the details of this particular incident and I dont care. I still would choose to wait and let the inestigation take place and get everything cleared up on the spot so as to avoid trouble later and avoid the impression that I have something to hide. I am VERY thankful for my priviledge and rght to lawfully carry, and I dont ever want to come across as some red neck bad ass with a chip on his shoulder and a point to prove.
    Again this is only what I would do. Every body else can do as they please.
    Oh and one other thing. While it has been my opinion for some time that there are ALWAYS a few bad apples that give an entire group a bad name, even here, I can honestly say that all of the officers I happen to be associated with are honest hard working men and women just trying to make a living and do the job they were hired and trained to do. I see no need to stoop to name calling and personal insults, like rent a cop or Barney Fifes. I feel like I need to make my point with honest opinion and facts as best I can without going there. I guess I feel this way for the same reason some others dont, My raising.

Would I comply? No. Would I wait for the police? Hell, no.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by Twodollarpistol View Post
    Oh and one other thing. While it has been my opinion for some time that there are ALWAYS a few bad apples that give an entire group a bad name, even here, I can honestly say that all of the officers I happen to be associated with are honest hard working men and women just trying to make a living and do the job they were hired and trained to do. I see no need to stoop to name calling and personal insults, like rent a cop or Barney Fifes.
    It's off topic but I have to comment on this. I worked security for three years while in school. It is one of the worst jobs I've ever had. The client generally sticks you in a dangerous location then ties your hands in terms of self defense and expects you to keep order.

Most of the people that you work around ( not other guards) treat you like crap or they make you the target because they don't have the cojones to get mouthy w/ a real cop. and everyone assumes you're there because you bombed out at the police academy.

My point is it would be nice if we could back off the barney fife nonsense
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Nightmare45 is offline NRA LIFE MEMBER

Carrying drunk is trouble, leave the weapon home if you drink, I believe in Texas only a sworn LEO or a Magistrate has the right to ask all other have a nice day, open parking lot or parking garage makes no difference and is not typically a cause for concern about carry.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast