Private Security Officer Asks To See Your Permit
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Private Security Officer Asks To See Your Permit

This is a discussion on Private Security Officer Asks To See Your Permit within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Two people walking to a car in a parking garage at night. One (Female) is intoxicated the other (Male) doesn’t ...

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Default Private Security Officer Asks To See Your Permit

Two people walking to a car in a parking garage at night. One (Female) is intoxicated the other (Male) doesn’t appear to be. They are arguing and the security guard approaches them and asks if everything’s OK. The female turns to the guard and tells him that her buddy has a gun.

The guard asked the buddy “Do you have a gun sir?’ The buddy responds in the affirmative and the guard asks if he has a permit. Again, the buddy replies yes.

The guard then states that the police have been notified, they’re on their way and would the buddy mind if the guard secured his weapon until the police arrive. I want to be perfectly clear that this was a request the guard did not demand the weapon.

The buddy turns his weapon over to the guard and the guard holds it until the police arrive.

To be clear the guard didn’t demand anything in this scenario he asked if the guy was armed, he asked if he could see the permit and he asked if he could secure the weapon until the police arrived.
    The buddy voluntarily complied W/ the guards's requests

So what would you do if a private security guard asked to inspect your permit and secure you weapon? Would you comply? Would you wait for the police?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

I work for a private security company and as I understand it, we do not have the authority to make such request unless the individual is acting in a dangerous or irrational manner.
    On the other hand if I was the individual with the gun and I was behaving in a legal and responsible manner, I would advise that I would wait for the police to arrive. I would then be careful to keep my hands in full view at all times and try to not do anything to make the security officer nervous. He just trying to do his job in most cases and not trying to be a jerk.

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by Twodollarpistol View Post
    I would advise that I would wait for the police to arrive.

What is your rationale for waiting for the police? The guard has no legal authority to detain you in this situation (under Colorado law) so if you stay and wait for the police you're doing so voluntarily
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

I definitely would not show him my permit or hand over my firearm or wait for the police. Since the guard does not have the authority to detain me or probably handle a weapon. Many security guards are buffs (wannabe cops) so many of them will step beyond their authority.

Pokey is offline Go Buckeyes

Maybe the guard thought that he also had been drinking, and you can't drink and carry. Of course had she not been a drunken blabbermouth, things may not have escalated to the point they did. Just sayin............

If one picks his/her acquaintances more carefully, the issue won't arise. Drunks are a public liability, anyway.

But to answer the question..... the security gent would NOT get anything from me except, "good night", as I drove away.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

Quote Originally Posted by Twodollarpistol View Post
    I work for a private security company and as I understand it, we do not have the authority to make such request unless the individual is acting in a dangerous or irrational manner.
    On the other hand if I was the individual with the gun and I was behaving in a legal and responsible manner, I would advise that I would wait for the police to arrive. I would then be careful to keep my hands in full view at all times and try to not do anything to make the security officer nervous. He just trying to do his job in most cases and not trying to be a jerk.
    I tend to agree with you. The arrest powers of a security company are that of a average person (felony's). They are agents of the company's that hire their security. With that said. I would not admit to haveing a weapon. Or show them any ID (type needed for ccw). And in no way turn a loaded weapon over. Now it must be understood. You give as much respect as that is showed. but I wouldnt give my weapon over to a sales clerk!!!!! Much less any other agent of said company. Now as far as arizona I would be within my legal rights.

Default Private Security = Rent a cop

My decisions would depend mainly on wether or not the security guard is armed and does he look like he's ready to pop. Is he under control or is he ready to go Barney Fife.

As I understand Florida law, typically, by the action of, in this case parking in or short cutting through the private property, I have accepted the terms and conditions of being on the premises. So in that case, compliance with the guards concerns would be a courtesy and the guard would probably expect compliance. To give him a hard time might send him into Barney Fife mode.

I have a hard time envisioning any scenario where I would turn my weapon over to any private citizen. And make no mistake about it that guard is a private citizen with no more legal stance to request the surrender of your arm than the neighbor down the street.

Since the guard has already instigated the events about to take place, some compliance might be in order.

I would put my intoxicated lady friend in the car, thank the guard for his concern, question his reasoning for summoning the authorities all the time maintaining control of my weapon on my person.

There is no legal reason for me to hang around for the police to arrive. I've done nothing wrong and the guard is sure not capable of making a judgement call as to my condition nor does he have legal tender to make me stay. However, to beat feet right now might raise a suspicion with the responding police, so it probably be best to hang around for the police to arrive.

S&W645 is offline NRA Life Member

Guard would be told that I do have a permit to carry and that would be all until the police arrive. Guard does not have the right to see it or handle it or the gun. Would then wait for the police to arrive.

Daven is offline "Gimpy"

If I hadn't broken any local laws or rules of the place I was at, I would NEVER comply and hand over my permit much less my GUN to anyone other than a sworn officer, how do you know that RAC knows how to handle a gun? what if he turned all "wanta-be-a-cop" on you and aimed it at you? No way! Sounds like he was NOT breaking any laws and I agree with previous reply's, "thank you and good-bye" and drive away, if I was doing something wrong a cop can pull me over later.

But then again, I don't generally hang out with people who get that drunk. (not that there's anything wrong with it).

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast