Received personal letter from Judge today requesting all police reports
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Received personal letter from Judge today requesting all police reports

This is a discussion on Received personal letter from Judge today requesting all police reports within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I'm in the process of getting my CCW (Upstate NY) and yesterday I received a personal letter from the judge ...

vettehigh is offline Do we get another day?

Exclamation Received personal letter from Judge today requesting all police reports

I'm in the process of getting my CCW (Upstate NY) and yesterday I received a personal letter from the judge stating that he wants to see all police reports generated in connection with the charge and arrest for criminal possession of controlled substance in the 5th (misdemeanor - performance enhancing meds). I had this charge 10 years ago and YES I listed it on the app with all specs related. This was my only run in with the law. Went to the records dept today and they will have my records for me in the next 3-5 days, then I will give them to the judge. Is this normal? Thanks all

Default Sounds encouraging to me...

Quote Originally Posted by vettehigh View Post
    ... Is this normal?
    Don't know if its normal, but it seems encouraging that he is moving forward to look into the matter. Good luck!
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life) - GrassRoots GunRights SC

Nightmare45 is offline NRA LIFE MEMBER

Sounded ok till you mentioned NY, good luck.

Would you tell us which county in New York?

Some are awful and some understand that the Constitution has a Second Amendment.

A friend of mine got his when the judge or sheriff, I forget which, discovered that he and my friend went to the same college.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. NRA CSSA GOA 2AF CCRKBA / Tactical Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by v65magnafan View Post
    Would you tell us which county in New York?

Some are awful and some understand that the Constitution has a Second Amendment.

A friend of mine got his when the judge or sheriff, I forget which, discovered that he and my friend went to the same college.
    Broome County

I'm in the process of getting my CCW (Upstate NY) and yesterday I received a personal letter from the judge stating that he wants to see all police reports generated in connection with the charge and arrest for criminal possession of controlled substance in the 5th (misdemeanor - performance enhancing meds). I had this charge 10 years ago and YES I listed it on the app with all specs related. This was my only run in with the law. Went to the records dept today and they will have my records for me in the next 3-5 days, then I will give them to the judge. Is this normal? Thanks all
    I have my permit in Saratoga County. My buddy who also has his permit had a DWI in the passed. The judge sent him a letter asking him to explain the circumstances and why he feels he deserves to have a permit. He wrote a letter of explanation and ended up receiving his. So you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cgny View Post
    I have my permit in Saratoga County. My buddy who also has his permit had a DWI in the passed. The judge sent him a letter asking him to explain the circumstances and why he feels he deserves to have a permit. He wrote a letter of explanation and ended up receiving his. So you should be fine.
    I did write a letter (2 pages to the judge, which I imagine he has read). I handed my application (letter also) in 5 weeks ago. I received the letter yesterday from the judge. I was told 1 week ago that everything is done and all set, just have to wait for the judge to decide Y or N. They make this so damn hard, but for good reason. I bet many others just quit because off all the trouble it is to get a CCW, esp in NY

I did write a letter (2 pages to the judge, which I imagine he has read). I handed my application (letter also) in 5 weeks ago. I received the letter yesterday from the judge. I was told 1 week ago that everything is done and all set, just have to wait for the judge to decide Y or N. They make this so damn hard, but for good reason. I bet many others just quit because off all the trouble it is to get a CCW, esp in NY
    Yes many quit because of all the trouble it is to get. I will not argue the pros or cons of should you be required to have one as that is not the question here. At this point the judge may be just wanting to see how badly you want it and what are you willing to do, sort of a test to see what kind of a person you really are and if you follow through then you pass.

Years ago I gave up on getting my Professional Engineer certification due to the difficulty of the application rather than the actual test. Also I had just changed jobs where I no longer needed it so I just quit on it. I have regretted that many times since and wish that I had gone on with that last step. The test wasn't the problem, just all the documentation and references. So the judge is probably looking at you the same way. Are you willing to go all the way. I know you should not have to play that game but it is the law so hang in there.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Yes many quit because of all the trouble it is to get. I will not argue the pros or cons of should you be required to have one as that is not the question here. At this point the judge may be just wanting to see how badly you want it and what are you willing to do, sort of a test to see what kind of a person you really are and if you follow through then you pass.

Years ago I gave up on getting my Professional Engineer certification due to the difficulty of the application rather than the actual test. Also I had just changed jobs where I no longer needed it so I just quit on it. I have regretted that many times since and wish that I had gone on with that last step. The test wasn't the problem, just all the documentation and references. So the judge is probably looking at you the same way. Are you willing to go all the way. I know you should not have to play that game but it is the law so hang in there.
    Agree 100%

Yeah i went to start the process of getting my permit when i was 22 but just heard so many discouraging stories that i put it off until i was 26-27. Me and my buddy i mentioned decided to go through and do it together so we would just keep each other motivated to follow through. We got put on the bump up list for the safety class and both had our permits after about 3-4 of starting the process. And my county from what i understand is one of the worst in NY to deal with for the process. It takes anywhere from a week to 2 weeks just for an amendment approval.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast