Received personal letter from Judge today requesting all police reports
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43
Like Tree1Likes

Received personal letter from Judge today requesting all police reports

This is a discussion on Received personal letter from Judge today requesting all police reports within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I'm in the process of getting my CCW (Upstate NY) and yesterday I received a personal letter from the judge ...

  1. #1
    vettehigh's Avatar
    vettehigh is offline Do we get another day?
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    37

    Exclamation Received personal letter from Judge today requesting all police reports

    I'm in the process of getting my CCW (Upstate NY) and yesterday I received a personal letter from the judge stating that he wants to see all police reports generated in connection with the charge and arrest for criminal possession of controlled substance in the 5th (misdemeanor - performance enhancing meds). I had this charge 10 years ago and YES I listed it on the app with all specs related. This was my only run in with the law. Went to the records dept today and they will have my records for me in the next 3-5 days, then I will give them to the judge. Is this normal? Thanks all

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    137

    Default Sounds encouraging to me...

    Quote Originally Posted by vettehigh View Post
    ... Is this normal?
    Don't know if its normal, but it seems encouraging that he is moving forward to look into the matter. Good luck!
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life) - GrassRoots GunRights SC

  3. #3
    Nightmare45's Avatar
    Nightmare45 is offline NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston Metro Area, Texas
    Posts
    2,961

    Default

    Sounded ok till you mentioned NY, good luck.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Would you tell us which county in New York?

    Some are awful and some understand that the Constitution has a Second Amendment.

    A friend of mine got his when the judge or sheriff, I forget which, discovered that he and my friend went to the same college.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. NRA CSSA GOA 2AF CCRKBA / Tactical Pistol Instructor

  5. #5
    vettehigh's Avatar
    vettehigh is offline Do we get another day?
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by v65magnafan View Post
    Would you tell us which county in New York?

    Some are awful and some understand that the Constitution has a Second Amendment.

    A friend of mine got his when the judge or sheriff, I forget which, discovered that he and my friend went to the same college.
    Broome County

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    518, NY
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vettehigh View Post
    I'm in the process of getting my CCW (Upstate NY) and yesterday I received a personal letter from the judge stating that he wants to see all police reports generated in connection with the charge and arrest for criminal possession of controlled substance in the 5th (misdemeanor - performance enhancing meds). I had this charge 10 years ago and YES I listed it on the app with all specs related. This was my only run in with the law. Went to the records dept today and they will have my records for me in the next 3-5 days, then I will give them to the judge. Is this normal? Thanks all
    I have my permit in Saratoga County. My buddy who also has his permit had a DWI in the passed. The judge sent him a letter asking him to explain the circumstances and why he feels he deserves to have a permit. He wrote a letter of explanation and ended up receiving his. So you should be fine.

  7. #7
    vettehigh's Avatar
    vettehigh is offline Do we get another day?
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cgny View Post
    I have my permit in Saratoga County. My buddy who also has his permit had a DWI in the passed. The judge sent him a letter asking him to explain the circumstances and why he feels he deserves to have a permit. He wrote a letter of explanation and ended up receiving his. So you should be fine.
    I did write a letter (2 pages to the judge, which I imagine he has read). I handed my application (letter also) in 5 weeks ago. I received the letter yesterday from the judge. I was told 1 week ago that everything is done and all set, just have to wait for the judge to decide Y or N. They make this so damn hard, but for good reason. I bet many others just quit because off all the trouble it is to get a CCW, esp in NY

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vettehigh View Post
    I did write a letter (2 pages to the judge, which I imagine he has read). I handed my application (letter also) in 5 weeks ago. I received the letter yesterday from the judge. I was told 1 week ago that everything is done and all set, just have to wait for the judge to decide Y or N. They make this so damn hard, but for good reason. I bet many others just quit because off all the trouble it is to get a CCW, esp in NY
    Yes many quit because of all the trouble it is to get. I will not argue the pros or cons of should you be required to have one as that is not the question here. At this point the judge may be just wanting to see how badly you want it and what are you willing to do, sort of a test to see what kind of a person you really are and if you follow through then you pass.

    Years ago I gave up on getting my Professional Engineer certification due to the difficulty of the application rather than the actual test. Also I had just changed jobs where I no longer needed it so I just quit on it. I have regretted that many times since and wish that I had gone on with that last step. The test wasn't the problem, just all the documentation and references. So the judge is probably looking at you the same way. Are you willing to go all the way. I know you should not have to play that game but it is the law so hang in there.

  9. #9
    vettehigh's Avatar
    vettehigh is offline Do we get another day?
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    37

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Yes many quit because of all the trouble it is to get. I will not argue the pros or cons of should you be required to have one as that is not the question here. At this point the judge may be just wanting to see how badly you want it and what are you willing to do, sort of a test to see what kind of a person you really are and if you follow through then you pass.

    Years ago I gave up on getting my Professional Engineer certification due to the difficulty of the application rather than the actual test. Also I had just changed jobs where I no longer needed it so I just quit on it. I have regretted that many times since and wish that I had gone on with that last step. The test wasn't the problem, just all the documentation and references. So the judge is probably looking at you the same way. Are you willing to go all the way. I know you should not have to play that game but it is the law so hang in there.
    Agree 100%

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    518, NY
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vettehigh View Post
    I did write a letter (2 pages to the judge, which I imagine he has read). I handed my application (letter also) in 5 weeks ago. I received the letter yesterday from the judge. I was told 1 week ago that everything is done and all set, just have to wait for the judge to decide Y or N. They make this so damn hard, but for good reason. I bet many others just quit because off all the trouble it is to get a CCW, esp in NY

    Yeah i went to start the process of getting my permit when i was 22 but just heard so many discouraging stories that i put it off until i was 26-27. Me and my buddy i mentioned decided to go through and do it together so we would just keep each other motivated to follow through. We got put on the bump up list for the safety class and both had our permits after about 3-4 of starting the process. And my county from what i understand is one of the worst in NY to deal with for the process. It takes anywhere from a week to 2 weeks just for an amendment approval.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •