CHL Licensing Section of DPS Destroying the CHL
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By smiller1939

CHL Licensing Section of DPS Destroying the CHL

This is a discussion on CHL Licensing Section of DPS Destroying the CHL within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; In my humble opinion, the Concealed Handgun Licensing Unit of the Texas Department of Public Safety is, in effect, killing ...

Default CHL Licensing Section of DPS Destroying the CHL

In my humble opinion, the Concealed Handgun Licensing Unit of the Texas Department of Public Safety is, in effect, killing the Texas CHL law by requiring all new applicant fingerprints be obtained from only one source: L1 Solutions. First this seems to me to be a major conflict between a private business and a governmental agency, particularly with the governmental agency promoting the private business on their web site and then secondly, by forcing the public to obtain their fingerprints from the only game in the state. To me at least, this appears to be a major impropriety. Now how is this killing the handgun law? If a new applicant lives in a major city the most they may have to travel to obtain the fingerprints is across the city, which in the case of Dallas, Houston, Austin and even San Antonio, may be a major drive, but the folks who live in smaller cities throughout Texas will need to travel to a major city to get their prints taken at one of the locations of L1 Solutions, which are very few and far between, and then probably will need to again return to the closest city where a class is held. With the law changing to allow Texas citizens the right to carry a weapon in their car without a license, what incentive is present to drive all over the city/state to obtain the fingerprints (from the only game in town) and then drive all over the city/state to take the class. There is none as DPS has done away with one stop shopping thereby making the obtaining of a concealed handgun license a more complex, costly and time consuming event. Iím not sure this is what Jerry Patterson and Suzanna Hupp had in mind.

Default L-1 Locations

It took me less than 30 seconds to find this, and I don't even live in Texas...

L-1 Identity Solutions, Enrollment Services Division in Texas

this will be a pain. Here, until this, where every you go to take your class they could take your picture, prints (with certified printer) and all. When you walked out of class, you would put your money and mailed. They even gave you the envelope. Now just more wasted time and hassle.

S&W645 is offline NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yrose View Post
    this will be a pain. Here, until this, where every you go to take your class they could take your picture, prints (with certified printer) and all. When you walked out of class, you would put your money and mailed. They even gave you the envelope. Now just more wasted time and hassle.
    The places where the classes are might have them come and take fingerprints there. A local LEO here took my prints, took my picture, taught the class, and handled the range part. All in one way of doing it with the certificate plus copy of the cert, fingerprints, photo in the addressed envelope.

Default DPS/L1 bed partners

I think this smacks od some kind of chicanery, like when My grandfather was a police officer, and his department specified a certain business to buy their uniforms, which had to be dry-cleaned.. The business was owned by the purchasing officer's brother in law. Here in Washingto, your local police department or sheriff if you live in the county issues your CPL, and takes your prints, usually now with an inkless computer system, quick non-messy and perfect prints every time.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.