I need need to inform my employer of my permit to carry - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

I need need to inform my employer of my permit to carry

This is a discussion on I need need to inform my employer of my permit to carry within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Oldgrunt: Carrying a weapon on the job site is not a decision that an employee can arbitrarily make, licensed or ...

Oldgrunt:

Carrying a weapon on the job site is not a decision that an employee can arbitrarily make, licensed or not. I was an HR manager and would have fired anyone carrying a weapon and, if the supervisor knew it and did not report it, he would have also been fired. Don't stake your job on someone telling you you have to have a written policy prohibiting the carry. As for holding the supervisor liable for informing the employer, forget that stuff. He is doing his job!

As a matter of fact, and point of law, in states with carry permit laws, there is no law on any of the books (that I or 3 lawyers this evening have been able to find) which requires a legally armed citizen to declare their decision to exercise the 2nd Amendment Right to bear arms...

Further, if a place of business does not have a PUBLISHED policy, about this, or any other matter which is not in violation of the law, the company, or employer, cannot ethically terminate employment without first addressing the issue, not only to the employee who's involvement is primary, but to the entire business: i.e. the employer would have to implement a new policy on the issue; at which time the emplyee would have a choice either to comply or resign.

And, as for the supervisor's "job", it is only his job to ensure proper adherance to company policy, not to "police" the workplace by creating difficulty for law abiding subordinates who are not violating current laws or policies, nor posing a threat to the safety or efficient function of the workplace.
    Bob Wint, Jr.

How did the superviser know you were carrying?
    To me,having a concealed weapon means to keep it concealed.

Thumbs up

Great input so far keep it coming, and thank you. I'll be making a decision next week sometime. 1 of my pistols is VERY concealable, so at least I have options. Although I support our 2nd amendment rights completely, I cannot lose my job over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron_One View Post
    Your supervisor needs to mind his own business. As long as your employer does not have a PUBLISHED policy regarding this issue than yu don't have to inform anyone. Furthermore, if your supervisor decides to take it upon himself to inform the boss, you could have legal options.
    Yep! Follow the laws governed by your state and keep your month shut as long as your employer has no policy governing/prohibiting. Research further "discretely".

Speaking of which...not trying to sound negative/cynical just a realist...Just how many co-workers, of your handful of trust-worthy co-workers, do you think know? Never assume even your best buddy will keep a secret. It's Concealed Carry for a reason...only the carrier should know.

MHO...Your supervisor will probably blow whistles loud enough for the CEO to hear if you don't abide by his wishes (his job's on the line). A good start, be upfront and honest with him about your concerns of self protection. This is exactly how prohibition starts in a work environment...one person's fear or feels threatened. Be careful how you handle it, but try to settle his concerns.

Good Luck!
    Taurus 24/7 OSS DS .45
    Ruger LCR .357
    Remington 870 Tactical 12 ga

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by Baron_One View Post
    Oldgrunt:

Further, if a place of business does not have a PUBLISHED policy, about this, or any other matter which is not in violation of the law, the company, or employer, cannot ethically terminate employment without first addressing the issue, not only to the employee who's involvement is primary, but to the entire business: i.e. the employer would have to implement a new policy on the issue; at which time the emplyee would have a choice either to comply or resign.
    Are your eyes brown? I'd like to see a cite.

In Colorado , as in many other states, they don't even have to give you a reason all they have to do is tell you it's not working out and walk you out the door.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    If one person knows you carry everyone knows you carry. So, you kinda screwed the pooch on that one. I don't discuss concealed carry at work and if some one asks me I recite the company policy verbatim from the handbook and change the subject.
    I like your style and agree. How did the Supervisor find out in the first place?
    Don't ask, don't tell!

LargeSarge is offline MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Default concealed carry at work

It's better do beg forgiveness than to ask permission. I you ask they'll have to check with thier lawyers, HR people etc and you will most likely get an anti-gun policy. This is happening were I work. We had no policy either way my boss thought there were enough of us pro-gunners in leadership position. So he brought it up. Yep, you guessed it, we have a no weapons policy going into effect as soon as the "lawyers message it".

As a generalization, an employer can terminate any employee for good cause, bad cause, or no cause at all, as long as the terminiation was not discriminatory against a protected class. I don't know of any states where holders of carry permits are considered a protected class.

hatchet19 is offline hatchet19

Although I support our 2nd amendment rights completely, I cannot lose my job over it.
    Your decision is made. If you can not afford to loose your job, then leave your pistol at home.

hatchet

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by hatchet19 View Post
    Your decision is made. If you can not afford to loose your job, then leave your pistol at home.

hatchet
    There's really not a lot more to add to that. Sounds like having a gun at work is going to cause far more problems than it's solves.

I worked for a Dr. a few years back who flat told me I was welcome to carry a gun at work. He even advised that I do so.

I had enough sense to realize that if I ever used said gun to defend his drugs or his practice I'd be unemployed before the shell casing hit the floor.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast