Carrying concealed, should I feel this way?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Carrying concealed, should I feel this way?

This is a discussion on Carrying concealed, should I feel this way? within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I've read a lot of articles of peoples experiences while carrying. I mostly read these topics because it makes me ...

Default Carrying concealed, should I feel this way?

I've read a lot of articles of peoples experiences while carrying. I mostly read these topics because it makes me think of things to watch out for in the world I may not think of on my own.

I do seem to find that there are a bunch of people who always say how much of a responsibility we have as CCW holders and we have a power to take the life of someone or disfigure them. It seems by carrying a weapon all of a sudden that they feel this way. Wouldn't that be a thought that pops in to your head when you decide to buy the gun in the first place? You are buying a weapon to defend yourself and/or your family, what do you think is gonna happen when you have to use it? When you fire that weapon and you hit your target there is going to be a devastating result.

I dont know, maybe I dont think on that level yet. I know when I went to buy my carry weapon that I knew what I was buying it for and knew what it is capable of. I know exactly what will happen if I ever need to squeeze that trigger.

What are your thoughts?

Same, but I hope I don't ever have to use it... it's messy and will probably be a brain wrecker for the shooter... That is what helps makes this country safe is the idea that people own guns and you don't know who has them (unless the N.E. gets its way New York, Connecticut, and the Plan to Take Away Your Guns - Big Government) then everyone will know who has what in their house!

ckaiser55 is offline Responsible Gun Owner

One of the questions I posed when I was in my mandatory training class was directly related to this. I posed a hypothetical and asked what is our responsibility as ccw holders to help our fellow human being who we think may be in harm's way. The answer from the instructor was vague in the sense that it would be up to my judgement depending on the situation.

To me it all boils down to whether or not you would provide assistance to a person you think is in trouble ccw or not. If you are inclined to help people in need, I think you will help them whether you have a weapon or not. That being said, I agree with you that most of us purchased our pistol knowing that it was to defend our home and family and the consequences that entails.

Shot gun News Vol.65,issue 8
    Intresting article by Vin Suprynowicz, "Since some will not,others dare not lay them aside"
    "Actually, handguns are used millions of times per year in self-defense, without even being fired" he goes on to say "i personally have expierenced two instances, not reported, where the presence of a handgun on my behalf has been instrumental in preventing a very likely attack.
    Most guns dont involve killing.They dont even involve discharging a round. (see "Bitches with guns" LizMichael.com - Bitches With Guns. If guns have no use but killing, does that mean every time a cop straps on his duty pistol hes hoping he gets to kill someone with it?
    Its hard to quantify "defensive gun uses", because most do not show up on "countable " police reports.
    The article goes on to sight different instances where having a gun present stoped bad people before they had the chance to do harm. Also defending us armed citizens against the anti gun liberials rants and raves against our 2A rights, EX: "Funny how crime sprees that are prevented by law-abiding citizens with guns naver make the front page, isnt it?"
    A good read with actual facts and real life situations to back up his opinions.
    he is the assistant editorial page editor of the daily las vegas review-journal and author of Black Arrow.
    Myself, i would rather have and not have to use, then not to have. And i believe looking down the barrel of a loaded gun, can change somebodys mindset as to carrying out malice to the owner of that barrel.

santa is offline santa

I have had to pull out my gun more than once and each time the BG went the other way. However I most certainly would have pulled the trigger and shot the BG if he(they) had not retreated right away. I do not bluff.

B2Tall is offline Stirrer of the Pot

Unfortunately there's a small group of people on this site who seem to be really eager to shoot somebody. It appears as though that's why they bought their guns. A lot of tough talk, chest-thumping, and calling other people cowards for not agreeing with their agressive, testosterone-fueled claims of what they're gonna do in this situation or that situation. I hope in reality they're just filled with hot air. They make the rest of us look bad and give the anti-gun lobby more ammo (pun intended).

Carry your weapon to defend yourself and family from real threats, not from people who call you a name or cut you off in traffic.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Unfortunately there's a small group of people on this site who seem to be really eager to shoot somebody. It appears as though that's why they bought their guns. A lot of tough talk, chest-thumping, and calling other people cowards for not agreeing with their agressive, testosterone-fueled claims of what they're gonna do in this situation or that situation. I hope in reality they're just filled with hot air. They make the rest of us look bad and give the anti-gun lobby more ammo (pun intended).

Carry your weapon to defend yourself and family from real threats, not from people who call you a name or cut you off in traffic.
    I agree completely with your statement. As a former LEO, I dealt with thugs every day and extremely rarely did I have to even remove my gun from its holster.

As a Concealed Carry Instructor, I teach the law as it is written in Oklahoma and it is specific about the use of deadly force. Most of the scenarios presented by the Rambos would result in them going to prison for a nice long visit. Our obligation is to avoid using deadly force in any way possible and to use it as only a last resort to protect ourselves or our family, not every one we see who we perceive to be in danger. Be wrong one time and you will see your family on visiting days only.

Put me on B2Tall's list. Seems like when you talk this way "they" come out of the woodwork with their "what ifs" and stories that boggle my mind. It seems that many seem to live in the middle of Bagdhad or Detroit or are extremely suspicious of everyone to the point that I truly feel sorry for them. As you said, I do think that many, when sitting at their computers in their underwear, are true warriors in their own minds, without a hint of walking any kind of walk that they talk about. This is not to say that there are not many who are very responsible and have very definite reasons for their CC and real stories concerning CC--to those I say god bless.
    Back to you Walther, I originally purchased so that I, in my own way, could tell this federal government and their idiot king that I truly detest them and can exercise 2A and CC because I can-so they can go to hell if they don't like it. I am 69 and have never come close to needing, seeing, using, wanting, etal any kind of firearm. As a matter of fact before I purchased about 3 years ago, I had never even touched a firearm. I believe anyone with half a brain would realize that once you even think about purchase you are already thinking about consequences and responsibility. Once you have it in your hand, the consequences and responsibilities become a lot more evident and real. In my book the key words are, when thinking about myself or my family--- imminent danger, imminent danger, imminent danger--that is my guide line for any further thought about my firearm(s)

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post

All of their hard talking and chest thumping don't worry me much because I'm pretty certain they are a bunch of keyboard ninjas (while similar but they shouldn't be confused with mall ninjas ).

Any really tough person I've ever been around talked very little if at all about what they could/would do. They just did it.

Walther,
    The theoretical use of a firearm is only a faint whisper in the back of most folks mind when they are in the gun store. Once they strap it on and start to head out into the public world, that's when the potential consequences of what they are doing hits home.

You don't think about having a head on collision while buying a new car, so why should using a gun defensively jump right out? You are much, much more likely to be involved in a car wreck than a shooting.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast