Federal gun free school zone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Federal gun free school zone

This is a discussion on Federal gun free school zone within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I have read the proposed national reciprocity bill and in my opinion it MAY change the Federal gun free zone ...

santa is offline santa

Default Federal gun free school zone

I have read the proposed national reciprocity bill and in my opinion it MAY change the Federal gun free zone law and let out of state permit holders carry within 1000 feet of a school. Notice I said MAY. Any thoughts or opinions on this?

Default 1000 ft

I thought the 1000 ft school exclusion zone was found Unconstitutional in that the Federal Government has no right to tell the States how to make Firearms Laws. (I could be wrong but that's the way I remember it)

However Most States have such a Law anyway so the Supreme Court ruling is moot. Pennsylvania Firearms Laws are so vague that it's not clear whether my Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms exempts me or not.

Now my understanding of the Proposed law means that My PLTCF would be good in all 50 States as would yours

BUT

The Laws of the State would still apply. So in most States you'd still have the 1000 ft Exclution Zone.

Most States have Fractured and Unclear and Different Laws that are Arbitrarily enforced. So you'd still have to be wary as to each State you Travel in that has Different Exclusion Zones

It would be a step in the right Direction if passed. But it will be Vetoed by Barak Hussein Osama Obama anyway.

He said: He believed in the 2nd Amendment but also believes in "Common Sense" limitations "like the DC Law".

Keep in mind that the DC Law was a Total Ban.

If I understand Tennessee law, if you have a kid in public school, you can drive up and drop them off but you must remain in the vehicle and drive away immediately after the passenger leaves the said vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by bob16066 View Post
    Now my understanding of the Proposed law means that My PLTCF would be good in all 50 States as would yours
    Incorrect, the bill specifically states that it does not allow carry where carry is prohibited by state law, or there is no provision for licensed concealed carry. So Illinois and Wisconsin are still out.

Quote Originally Posted by smudley View Post
    If I understand Tennessee law, if you have a kid in public school, you can drive up and drop them off but you must remain in the vehicle and drive away immediately after the passenger leaves the said vehicle.
    from my understanding of the law that is correct, However you are also not allowed to handle the firearm while on school property. If for some reason you must exit the vehicle (flat tire, teacher wants to speak, etc, you must exit school property remove weapon from holster (if not already dont) and than you may exit the vehicle. I'm not positive but I dont think you can leave a loaded gun locked in your car while on school property, which means you would have to unload it also (again not positive)

My solution is when in TN and I have to go to a school (rare) I plan accordingly and stow the firearm in the center console/glove box to where even if I exit the vehicle and lock it it is completely out of sight. (i have a TNHCP)

Now in GA the school thing gets kinda funky. Military are exempt from carry laws which encompasses the school thing, but you have to have a state issued permit to be exempt from the federal law (if it still stands) There are other exceptions to the law for standard GWL holders such in picking up or dropping off or leaving it locked in the vehicle. I vote for the "common sense law" that says the 2nd amendment means you have the r.t.c. no matter where you are. Laws are getting WAY too confusing.
    "The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country." - General Patton

Quote Originally Posted by bob16066 View Post
    I thought the 1000 ft school exclusion zone was found Unconstitutional in that the Federal Government has no right to tell the States how to make Firearms Laws. (I could be wrong but that's the way I remember it)

However Most States have such a Law anyway so the Supreme Court ruling is moot. Pennsylvania Firearms Laws are so vague that it's not clear whether my Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms exempts me or not.

BUT

The Laws of the State would still apply. So in most States you'd still have the 1000 ft Exclution Zone.

Most States have Fractured and Unclear and Different Laws that are Arbitrarily enforced. So you'd still have to be wary as to each State you Travel in that has Different Exclusion Zones

It would be a step in the right Direction if passed. But it will be Vetoed by Barak Hussein Osama Obama anyway.

He said: He believed in the 2nd Amendment but also believes in "Common Sense" limitations "like the DC Law".

Keep in mind that the DC Law was a Total Ban.
    Your post makes sense. The states would be able to override the federal government unless doing so presents a complete ban.

A 1,000 foot ban can mean a complete ban for some persons. Suppose there is a school on each end of your road. This means you can't leave your street without driving past a school? Seems to be a very unfair law.

In NYS there is no 1,000 foot regulation. But one may not posses a firearm on any school grounds unless written permission has been granted by the school district. Of course no school is going to provide such permission. But you may drive past a school while in the normal course of your day.

The anti-gun thinking is "hey, we can't commit a gun crime in school because the law says we can't come within 1,000 feet."

You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws. It's insane to think so.
    Raid!!! Kills bugs dead.

The Federal GFSZ law has the provision that one with the state's carry permit is not affected by it. But another state's permit, even with articulated reciprocity, does not count. I've not seen any state laws that enact any similar large boundary, but most do prohibit carry on the school property itself, with the drive-on/drive-off exceptions noted above.

When I first read of this proposal (HR822 if you want to look it up) I also wondered about the effect on GFSZ - since the Feds would be saying all permits are to be treated equally by the states, then all permits should be treated equally with respect to GFSZ.

But, as this is a pie in the sky hope, I'm not putting too much more thought into it for a while.

santa is offline santa

Question

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    The Federal GFSZ law has the provision that one with the state's carry permit is not affected by it. But another state's permit, even with articulated reciprocity, does not count. I've not seen any state laws that enact any similar large boundary, but most do prohibit carry on the school property itself, with the drive-on/drive-off exceptions noted above.

When I first read of this proposal (HR822 if you want to look it up) I also wondered about the effect on GFSZ - since the Feds would be saying all permits are to be treated equally by the states, then all permits should be treated equally with respect to GFSZ.

But, as this is a pie in the sky hope, I'm not putting too much more thought into it for a while.
    That is my question. Will HR822 affect the federal gun free zone for schools? It seems as it will but it does not specify that it does. Any lawyers out there want to weigh in?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    Incorrect, the bill specifically states that it does not allow carry where carry is prohibited by state law, or there is no provision for licensed concealed carry. So Illinois and Wisconsin are still out.
    My next Paragraph did say:

"BUT

The Laws of the State would still apply"

Ruger357SP101 is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    A 1,000 foot ban can mean a complete ban for some persons. Suppose there is a school on each end of your road. This means you can't leave your street without driving past a school? Seems to be a very unfair law.
    *IF* there was such a ban then ALL of us who live in cities are already breaking the law.
    I cant throw a rock in any direction here where I live without it passing through at least 3 school zones before it hit the ground.

Here in Ohio I can drive or walk through on the road or sidewalk.
    I can also drop off or pick up.

What I cant do is get out of my car or go into the school while armed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast