Automatic CCW permits for all military vets with honorable DD214 service? - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Automatic CCW permits for all military vets with honorable DD214 service?

This is a discussion on Automatic CCW permits for all military vets with honorable DD214 service? within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Originally Posted by coachdb18 I'd like to see ALL honorably discharged vets permitted to conceal carry on the basis of ...

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by coachdb18 View Post
    I'd like to see ALL honorably discharged vets permitted to conceal carry on the basis of their DD214 alone, in ALL states, subject to no mental issues which would make their safe carrying in the general public a problem. After going through two active duty periods, a VERY thorough background check for a TS clearance, and multiple Expert marksmanship ribbons documented on those previously mentioned DD214's, I'm not sure what is left for my county sheriff to discover about me! As vets, we've also already been fingerprinted, so even that is redundant...and yes, I do have my North Carolina resident CCW permit, after jumping all the required hoops to get it.

What say y'all? [Hey, I'm from North Carolina LOL]

How long were you in? I met some serious dirtbags when I was in the Army not sure I'd ever want them carrying a fire arm.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Patrick Shearer is offline RugerCarrier

I strongly agree! I don't know the extensive processes in other states to get a CCW permit but, I'm a VA resident and Virginia, I think has by far some of the easiest gun laws in the country. In my own county, you fill out a one page application, show your DD214 or other gun proficiency training record, get your finger prints on file with the local sheriff's office, pay $50 to the court, and wait 45 days. That simple. When I buy my handguns, the State Police background takes about 15 minutes...tops! There's no waiting. Though, I've heard that if you have a TS it can take a day or so but, I haven't had that problem yet. Bottom line, I agree - all vets that keep their record clean after service should be able to carry without all the hassle. They deserve that much for their service.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    How long were you in? I met some serious dirtbags when I was in the Army not sure I'd ever want them carrying a fire arm.
    I was in the USAF twice, as enlisted (E-4 1971-1975), and commissioned (O-3 1978-1989). As such, I have two DD214's, with an honorable discharge for each period of service. Many states, including my own of North Carolina, are 'shall issue' states. So long as you meet all the requirements, the county sheriff is required to provide a concealed weapon permit. There is not now, nor has there ever been to the best of my ability to determine this, a yes/no checkbox for 'dirtbag'.

What I've been trying to introduce to the discussion is simply the fact that many (perhaps not all) veterans have already met the requirements for CCW, and have that information readily available on their DD214 (ie pistol qualification, background checks and or clearances, fingerprints, citizenship, no history of mental illness... ). As I said before, the facts on my DD214 could have easily substituted for anything my county sheriff wanted to know, or was required by law to ask/investigate to issue my CCW.

Not sure how this idea devolved into an assumption of superiority, elite status, etc, because just like 'dirtbag', there is also no checkbox for 'elite'. It ain't a platinum card, it just says you have jumped all the right hoops, and the sheriff signed off on it. How that requirement is met, I think, leaves a little latitude, and a clean DD214 with the right info should do that.

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

OK I missunderstood. I would agree that if you can present a DD214 stamped "honorable" you should be good. I thought you were talking carte blanche for any vet to carry
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Detroit 45 acp Guest

Keep dreaming!!!!!! I thank all vets for their Service buy them a drink at the bar even pickup the tab for lunch dinner etc... every person that will CCW should all go through the same practice .......

Also from NC ... I have to go with the hardliners on this one, I am not sure anybody should be required to jump thru the hoops and get a permit anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by coachdb18 View Post
    I'd like to see ALL honorably discharged vets permitted to conceal carry on the basis of their DD214 alone, in ALL states, subject to no mental issues which would make their safe carrying in the general public a problem.
    I must confess that I didn't read all the responses to the original post. However, I'm likely in the minority with my response. I'm a former Army officer with combat experience in Vietnam and worked for the DoD in a Civil Service management position 37 years. I've carried over twenty five years with resident permits in three states.

I'm opposed to the suggestion for two different reasons...

1. Granting such a law would have to be done at the Federal level. The states themselves could not collectively mandate such an agreement. We all know how quickly the anti-second amendment nutcases in Washington can destroy our rights as it stands now. Turning over such "power" to Washington could certainly result in the complete abolishment of our second amendment rights...over night. While the various states are sometimes (maybe most of the time) screwed up in their application of the right-to-bear-arms, at least the average citizen has a chance...as long as we keep the Feds out of it.

2. (Here comes the unpopular reason)
    In my military experience (including my career with the DoD), I can truthfully say that there are many veterans with Honorary Discharges that I wouldn't entrust with the "automatic" right to carry a concealed weapon. Current background (et al) checks may be a pain-in-the-butt for us all, but they serve a purpose in my opinion.

(My DD214 is dated October 24, 1968. To imply that that "alone" should be the basis for issuing a CCW permit is outrageous IMHO.)

Again it all depends on where you live. Here in Charlotte County Va. if you produce a copy of your DD-214 even without anything on it about weapons training you will get a CCW after a background check. It will cost $50.00 for 5 years and then you just need to renew it again. There is no type of shooting qualification that must be done to get this permit. I was amazed at this when I moved here. I had spent 9 1/2 years in the Military as both a small arms instructor and as a scout sniper. I then spent 25 years in Law Enforcement with over 22 years of that time as a weapons instructor and as the sergeant in charge of the SWAT team sniper unit. I don't know how this county can do this but they do and I don't agree with it or with any type of issuance without showing that you in fact can shoot and understand the laws of the use of deadly force in your area.
    Bill

G50AE is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I have to disagree. There should be no "special" or "elite" classes of legal residents in regards to carrying firearms. That includes presently employed LEO, retired LEO, military members or veterans. One rule should apply to all and all should be required to abide by the same rules. "Shall not be infringed."

BTW, there are thousands of honorably discharged military personnel who have never handled a handgun, and only handled a rifle in boot camp/basic training.
    NavyLCDR you are getting good at saying was I was going to say before I get to a particular thread.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtbill View Post
    Again it all depends on where you live. Here in Charlotte County Va. if you produce a copy of your DD-214 even without anything on it about weapons training you will get a CCW after a background check. It will cost $50.00 for 5 years and then you just need to renew it again. There is no type of shooting qualification that must be done to get this permit.
    I moved to Florida in '95 and (at least at that time) similar circumstances were in effect. A DD214 excused you from attending any classes, etc. A fingerprint card, a picture, and $165 (I think) were all that was necessary to obtain a permit after your background check was done.

The unfortunate thing about the above situation is that the new CCW permittee is likely not aware of the particular state laws regarding firearms, etc.
    Last edited by Lowjiber; 07-25-2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast