Question on owning Multiple CCW Permits and moving across states
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Question on owning Multiple CCW Permits and moving across states

This is a discussion on Question on owning Multiple CCW Permits and moving across states within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I recently moved to Oregon from Michigan and had a CPL in Michigan. Oregon is a strange state in that ...

Default Question on owning Multiple CCW Permits and moving across states

I recently moved to Oregon from Michigan and had a CPL in Michigan. Oregon is a strange state in that they don't honor any other state license. I plan on applying for my Oregon license in the next couple of weeks because I am now a resident of Oregon.
    I travel to Washington State often, which honors a Michigan License, but not an Oregon license (probably some strange border feud going on).

So my question is, Does moving to Oregon invalidate my Michigan CPL, which is honored in Washington?
    Put another way, by obtaining an Oregon license, am I no longer allowed to enter Washington with a Concealed Weapon even though I have a Michigan Permit?

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
    E

As long as your Michigan permit remains valid in Michigan, it will be valid in Washington, whether or not your are still a resident of Michigan. Washington also issues CPLs to non residents. Just go to the nearest police/sheriff department in Washington, pay $55.25 (it might have gone up), get fingerprinted and within 90 days they will mail you a CPL. Very simple application.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

I would double check with MI, in some states the permit is valid until expiration but in some it expires when you move out. Also double check to see if Washington accepts a non res MI permit because thats how there going to see yours

Merely getting a CHL in one state doesn't invalidate any other state's CHL. However, moving out of a state may invalidate that state's CHL. Check with Michigan to see if you can easily convert your resident permit into a nonresident permit.

MI does not issue to non-residents...however that does not necessarily mean yours becomes invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurtley View Post
    Merely getting a CHL in one state doesn't invalidate any other state's CHL. However, moving out of a state may invalidate that state's CHL. Check with Michigan to see if you can easily convert your resident permit into a nonresident permit.
    Good call from someone who lives there...you should know.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

WB9IIE is offline Master of Poverty Knob
    Soverign State of Poverty Knob near Tennessee

Wink

I'm not a lawyer, but I'll give you my opinion... Michigan is a SHALL ISSUE TO RESIDENTS ONLY. When you change your driver's license to Oregon, you are no longer a Michigan resident, and your Michigan permit is invalid. You may be able to get a Washington non-resident permit and an Oregon Resident permit, and still be able to carry in both states. Check it out with a firearms instructor in the area, or the local police. Good luck.
    Let's hear it for Gun Free Zones... Public places where the criminal has a monopoly
    on self defense. - Gary Nelson 2012

Quote Originally Posted by WB9IIE View Post
    Check it out with a firearms instructor in the area, or the local police. Good luck.
    Neither of which would be good sources of legal advice.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

Now that I'm not typing on my phone....

If MI doesn't grant non-res permits, and if they invalidate your permit because you moved out of state, then yeah, you're going to have to choose what to do.

As you noticed, OR doesn't recognize *ANYONE* else's CHL. WA doesn't recognize OR's. You may lose your MI because you moved, which WA recognizes.

Probably the easiest thing to do, when you take your OR-mandated firearm class, is to take one that also covers UT, FL, or AZ. All three states have easy-to-get nonresident permits, and all three are honored by many other states. (WA honors UT and FL.)

Default Thanks Ed

This was helpful. I think I'll apply for a Florida non-resident. It seems like the process is straightforward and I can handle everything in a single day there. I was born there and have family still there that I (should) visit often. This'll give me another reason to get down there this year.

Anyone have any advice on applying for a non-res in Florida?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast