getting a ccw permit if you have a restricted permit in a different county
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

getting a ccw permit if you have a restricted permit in a different county

This is a discussion on getting a ccw permit if you have a restricted permit in a different county within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; i hope someone can help me. my question is if i got a restricted permit in one county, then move ...

Default getting a ccw permit if you have a restricted permit in a different county

i hope someone can help me. my question is if i got a restricted permit in one county, then move to another, could i apply for an unrestricted permit in the new county that i would primarily reside?

Quote Originally Posted by tonybologna416 View Post
    i hope someone can help me. my question is if i got a restricted permit in one county, then move to another, could i apply for an unrestricted permit in the new county that i would primarily reside?
    Most likely not, You need to fill out your profile so we know where you are! I'm gonna go out on a limb and say NY? Not a hole lot of States that issue permits that don't work. But if you moved to a county that is known to give REAL permits, then it doesn't hurt to ask. How long you've had your current one will also most likely come into play.

yes im from chenango county in central new york, but after college i will be moving to a different county. chenango, from what ive heard, only issues restricted permits. the county i want to move to gives unrestricted permits. i dont have a permit yet which is why im asking. i want to know whether i should wait and apply when i move to the other county, or if i could get by with a restricted here and get an unrestricted later.

Quote Originally Posted by tonybologna416 View Post
    yes im from chenango county in central new york, but after college i will be moving to a different county. chenango, from what ive heard, only issues restricted permits. the county i want to move to gives unrestricted permits. i dont have a permit yet which is why im asking. i want to know whether i should wait and apply when i move to the other county, or if i could get by with a restricted here and get an unrestricted later.

If it's not that long until you move, It's probably easier to wait and just just a unrestriced permit, then have to "undo" a restriced one. In MA, when people move into a friendly city/town if they want to get the restriction removed ahead of it's expiration they have to convince the issuing PD to early expire the permit, so the new PD can issue an unrestriced one. But as bad as MA is, it's not half as bad as NY. But if you've got a couple years left in school, at least the restricted one will let you buy your guns and hit the range.

i graduate in may, so its very soon, but i havent looked for any places yet and dont know how long that will take (you know how that is lol) but i think i will just wait and get it later. thanks for replying!

I don't know about Chenango, but in alot of counties, applying now wouldn't get you a permit by May. If you have a permit in a county and then move, you have to transfer your permit to the new county anyway, so you might as well try to get an upgrade.

Get a permit as soon a can in whatever county you reside. You can apply to have the restrictions removed when you move.

Waiting until you move may pose a problem in the new county if it requires that your references be from the same county. Better to have the permit and simply request removal of a restriction then to start from scratch.

What kind of a concealed weapons permit has restrictions,other then going into a gov. building,jail area,school zone etc.,bar, ????
    What kind of restrictions are you talking about??

Quote Originally Posted by spf159753 View Post
    What kind of a concealed weapons permit has restrictions,other then going into a gov. building,jail area,school zone etc.,bar, ????
    What kind of restrictions are you talking about??
    New York State, unlike some supposedly more friendly gun states, does not restrict permit holders from possessing a loaded weapon in a bar or restaurant.

The "restrictions" we are speaking about come from the issuing judge. Many counties have a policy of restricting first time pistol permit owners to "hunting and target practice" or "recreation and target practice", the intent of which is to prevent the first time pistol permit holder from wandering around with his or her loaded weapon.

The restrictions are administrative only. That is, the issuing judge could revoke your permit if you are caught breaking the restrictions, but you couldn't be prosecuted for breaking the law because the law doesn't recognize such restrictions.

My origanal permit was issued "restricted hunting and target" from westchester county, when I moved to dutchess county I transfered the permit to dutchess and it came back with the restriction, I was told you have to be a resident of that county for six months then you can have your permit ammended after writing a letter to the judge of that county explaining why you want the restriction taken off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast