Brandishing a Weapon in Ohio - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Brandishing a Weapon in Ohio

This is a discussion on Brandishing a Weapon in Ohio within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Originally Posted by chup In a case like this you should notify the Police. The first person to notify the ...

Quote Originally Posted by chup View Post
    In a case like this you should notify the Police. The first person to notify the Police will be the victim. If the other guy had called the Police saying I was just walking through the lot and this person pulled a gun on me, you would have a lot of explaining to do.
    Treo, I'm not trying to argue with you, just trying to make some comments.

If the police are called, there's going to be a lot of explaining by ALL involved. Remember, when they show up, they have very little accurate information. Their job is to quickly assess, calm down, and investigate the situation. They aren't stupid. They are very good at getting to the REAL situation very quickly. They can ascertain who was the real culprit. Plus, since most of the bad guys have a record, I doubt the attacker will call the police anyway. Police are the last thing they want to see show up. This is my opinion only and I have no facts to back it up. Personally, I have had this happen to me. I didn't call the police, and the BG just knew he had chosen the wrong victim and walked away. He made a VERY wise choice that day.

Whether you tell someone that you have a gun, draw your gun, or fire your gun you must meet the same criteria. This criteria is the ability, means, and opportunity to cause immediate harm to you or your family. Your goal is always to stop the threat. If you draw your gun and the threat goes away all is well, call the cops and report the threat to you, state that you will file a complaint. I am not suggesting that you wait for this individual (or group)to make up his/her mind. The criteria has already been met to shoot before you pulled your weapon. What I am saying is that in the two seconds that it took for you to pull your weapon they may have rerun their cost/benefit analysis.

As far as being handicapped goes, yes this does affect your right to defend yourself. Nobody is suggesting that a handicapped individual can wander down the street saying "Great someone that is stronger than I, BANG, how many points is that now". What they are trying to say is that takes less ability and less in the way of means to post a credible threat to someone that is disabled. This is called disparity of force. Along a similar line a 5'2" woman may well be able to draw on a 6'2" unarmed man due to disparity of force, if she is threatened by him. There are probably a few married men out there that would argue this point. :)

A handicapped individual might also be less able to retreat. In a video recently posted on another thread we see a young man pick up his pack and run out of the area immediately prior to three individuals coming through the door in the middle of a gun fight. When I was his age I would have done the same thing. Today I can not move that fast. A handicapped individual may well not have the opportunity to retreat that a faster individual would. Had that not been a youth standing there but an armed individual with limited mobility their options would be totally different. I doubt that those two would be interested in any living witnesses.

None of us here is writing a book. All we have space for are a few quick points. Your State, your ability, and your situation will all affect your response.
    NRA,
    Armed Citizens Legal Defense Fund
    http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    Treo, I'm not trying to argue with you, just trying to make some comments.
    I think you meant to address Chup. I never said anything about calling the police
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

cmhbob is offline Sig fault.

Coming in late to this discussion, but are you a member of Ohioans for Concealed Carry?

You'll get more direct advice there, I think.
    Bob Mueller
    Blog | Facebook | Flickr

Not really. We in OFCC know the dangers of trying to give legal advice online. He likely won't get much more than he got here, though it would probably have a whole lot less fluff that he doesn't need. Of course, that too is a good reason to go to OFCC, and we certainly welcome new members. And it's possible we might be able to refer him to a good local attorney if needed. Several are members and post on our forum.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I think you meant to address Chup. I never said anything about calling the police
    You're right. I have no idea what happened there. Sorry.

I personally recommend staying as far away from OFCC as you can....
    Leave me alone... and I will leave you alone....
    Don't poke a wolverine with a sharp stick unless you want your balls ripped off.
    Don't start nuthin, wont be nuthin..... (and dont wear pink panties on my property)

Default What's the deal with OFCC?

I've been to the Ohioan's for Concealed Carry site several times to look around.

Why the advice to stay clear other than the $25 registration fee?

Well, if you like petty tyrants (moderators who have personal vendettas against ANYONE that disagrees with their very limited views) who break their own rules with impunity, yet gag/ban you for NOT breaking them and for speaking the truth, have at it....

Any more questions?
    Leave me alone... and I will leave you alone....
    Don't poke a wolverine with a sharp stick unless you want your balls ripped off.
    Don't start nuthin, wont be nuthin..... (and dont wear pink panties on my property)

Spoken like someone who has run afoul of the rules and gotten burned. Since OFCC is a lobby organization and engages in legal actions, there is a concern about how the forum could affect such matters. Couple that with the desire to maintain a higher level of decorum than you see in most internet forums, and you can see why the rules for the site are necessarily more stringent than is typical. The lobbying and legal actions also explain the registration fee, which isn't required to participate in the forum by the way, unless the rules have changed since I first registered. I suggest going there and deciding for yourself before heeding unsubstantiated and unconfirmed reports from others here.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast