Conceal carry and aggressive dogs.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Conceal carry and aggressive dogs.

This is a discussion on Conceal carry and aggressive dogs. within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Hey yall, I'm new to this foum, but I had an incident yesterday and I thought that y'all would have ...

Default Conceal carry and aggressive dogs.

Hey yall,
    I'm new to this foum, but I had an incident yesterday and I thought that y'all would have the best insight for me. So, I live just outside Houston, TX, and was out for a run with my dog yesterday. He's about 100lbs, and is very well trained. While we were on our run, a German Sheppard, who was loose, came running across the street and attacked us. He bit my dog a few times, but luckily, we're both ok.

UNFORTUNATELY, this is the one day that I didn't have my weapon on me, since I normally run with it. Does anyone know if it is legal for me to shoot an attacking dog on the street in my neighborhood in Houston, TX. The best I could do without a gun was kick him a few times, but if I had it...can I use it?

Looking forward to your responses!! Thanks!

~Blondie

Blondie

Usacarry.com had a thread much like this. The legalities can be more state specific, BUT the question would probably rest on you feeling threatened. Your dog was probably acting in your defense, so as you described the situation. I would have felt threatened if I were you.

At the very least you probably have a civil case for your dog's vet bills.

A dog (especially a known breed) used for protection has the ability to cause you SERIOUS harm if it attacks. Your state probably has specific laws listed.

Skot Kimray is offline Chronic fence rider

I didn't immediately see anything in Texas' gun laws that deal with being in danger of attack by an animal, but I don't think it would be any different than shooting a person who was attacking you. You don't know what the loose dog could be carrying. I know you're asking about the law, not opinions, but if I were in your shoes, I would've shot it.
    I'm sure something witty or useful will make it's way into this space, eventually.

A lot of dogs pick fights---is this what happened. I would say 99% of the time, it would be overkill to shoot the dog.

Skot Kimray is offline Chronic fence rider

Quote Originally Posted by spirit4earth View Post
    A lot of dogs pick fights---is this what happened. I would say 99% of the time, it would be overkill to shoot the dog.
    In this case, wouldn't Animal Control put the dog down anyway?
    I'm sure something witty or useful will make it's way into this space, eventually.

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

While it is true each state will have different laws, the universal truth is, if you feel like your life is threatened or you fear great bodily injury, you have every right to defend yourself. No if, ands, or buts about it. Because of this truth, it really depends on the person involved (just like all self defense shootings). I may handle a situation differently, being a 180 lb 5'10" muscular athletic male, than a 115lb 5' female.

German Shepherds are big, powerful, amazing dogs...but they can do a lot of damage if not trained correctly. In your specific scenario, I would not have shot, I would have fought the dog off with a less than lethal alternative. I have been around dogs the majority of my life, I study and rescue them as a hobby, and i have a lot more patients and training in dealing with dogs. I do not expect anyone else to share my feelings (although there has been a lot of members that have shared these same feelings at USACarry).
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

Quote Originally Posted by Skot Kimray:299925
    Quote Originally Posted by spirit4earth View Post
    While that is definitely a possibility...it's hard to say what would happen based off the little amount of information in the OP.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Pepper spray....
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Skot Kimray View Post
    Not always. Animal control will often take the dog and cite the owner. Some locals require the owner to show the dog is controllable before returning it. Consider a dog who gets loose without the owner's knowledge. Two dogs squaring off is a natural thing, not necessarily indicative of a problem animal. Attacking humans is quite different. My K9 GSD was always low-key unless provoked or commanded but my little punk border collie was a biter. She was the one I worried about getting sued over. But both would defend against any other dog.
    Raid!!! Kills bugs dead.

Oddly enough we have just been having similar discussions on a Texas gun forum I belong to. Guess more folks need to properly control their dogs.
    If you felt you OR YOUR DOG were in imminent threat of grave injury, you would be justified in shooting most likely.
    Personally I would tend towards kicking an attacking dog before resorting to shooting. You might be amazed how well a medium kick to a dog will make it change course.
    "One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."
    Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
    Suggestions by Domineaux | Texas Gun Forum

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast