Taurus PT709/740 vs. S&W M&P Shield 9/40
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 24ever
  • 1 Post By pctech334

Taurus PT709/740 vs. S&W M&P Shield 9/40

This is a discussion on Taurus PT709/740 vs. S&W M&P Shield 9/40 within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I recently acquired a new in box Taurus PT740 Slim, intended as an EDC. I've got @200 flawless rounds through ...

Default Taurus PT709/740 vs. S&W M&P Shield 9/40

I recently acquired a new in box Taurus PT740 Slim, intended as an EDC. I've got @200 flawless rounds through it (ball ammo & defense). Added a Houge grip sleeve and Pearce finger ext. on both mags. It feels good in my hand now (much more secure)...however...once I caught a glimpse of the new S&W M&P Shield line, considering the specs (just slightly smaller/thinner than the Taurus 709/740), I'm now considering a switch. I haven't held a Shield yet b/c my local dealer sold out as soon as they got pulled off the delivery truck.

Someone either talk some sense into me, or convince me the new S&W Shield .40 is a better choice!

I realize it's what feels best for me in the end...just mainly wanted to see if, by chance, any Taurus 709/740 owners out there would chime in... Every comment I've seen so far from the fortnate few to get their paws on a Shield seems to be positive (except the thumb safety, which I could do without myself).

Ideally, I'd love to hear from someone who has had a chance to compare the two side by side.

Here's my 740 after the ergo upgrades.
    Name:  Taurus PT740 Slim.jpg
Views: 41084
Size:  295.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 24ever View Post
    I recently acquired a new in box Taurus PT740 Slim, intended as an EDC. I've got @200 flawless rounds through it (ball ammo & defense). Added a Houge grip sleeve and Pearce finger ext. on both mags. It feels good in my hand now (much more secure)...however...once I caught a glimpse of the new S&W M&P Shield line, considering the specs (just slightly smaller/thinner than the Taurus 709/740), I'm now considering a switch. I haven't held a Shield yet b/c my local dealer sold out as soon as they got pulled off the delivery truck.

Someone either talk some sense into me, or convince me the new S&W Shield .40 is a better choice!

I realize it's what feels best for me in the end...just mainly wanted to see if, by chance, any Taurus 709/740 owners out there would chime in... Every comment I've seen so far from the fortnate few to get their paws on a Shield seems to be positive (except the thumb safety, which I could do without myself).

Ideally, I'd love to hear from someone who has had a chance to compare the two side by side.

Here's my 740 after the ergo upgrades.
    Name:  Taurus PT740 Slim.jpg
Views: 41084
Size:  295.5 KB
    I am in the exact same position. I have a 740 and have since put a fiber optic front sight on it, Pearce extension grip, Hogue Handall jr, grip , and got a Remora Holster. Then, S&W came out with the Shield a week after I purchased the 740. I recommended to a friend that if I could do it over again, I would get the Shield. He went out and got one of the first ones in the 40 cal. I had a chance to shoot it the other day. My impressions are: The Shield is a DA only trigger - very crisp with a nice even break. The Taurus trigger pinches my finger due to the break point being all the way back. Winner: Shield. The quality of the Smith is hands down better. The recoil is about the same, although I could get quicker follow shots with the Shield. Accuracy also goes to the Shield. The grip of the Taurus felt better as the Smith started cutting into my hand - but that may be due to the Hogue grip on my Taurus. I came across your post as I am contemplating the same thing - selling the 740 for the Smith even at a loss $. Mind you, I have been having some feed problems with the Taurus which has motivated me even more. If you are willing to lose about $75-100, do it - it will be worth it in quality. However, I have decided that a 40 caliber in that size is not ideal, so I would only sell the Taurus for a Shield 9mm. My 740 may be on GunBroker soon.

Thanks for the insite! Looking hard at the 9mm shield.....not sure if I'll get rid of my Kahr CW9 though....

I first saw the shield at the NRA convention. Knew it would be a big seller. Bought one and I am convinced it is all it should be. What makes this stand out from the Taurus is trigger pull and reset. It has a 6 lb pull and smooth reset. You will not be unhappy with this gun. It comes down to what YOU like best, but I like it and carry it everyday.
    When liberals run out of other people's right to infridge upon, how many will give up theirs?

I carry the Taurus 709 Slim, I have no problems with it whatsoever, been a good gun so far and meets my needs and then some. I have a friend with a 9mm Shield, I had the opportunity to shoot it, outside of the trigger differences, it shoots just like my Taurus does. I don't think I am going out and buying a shield any time soon, loosing $100 on my fairly new Taurus, and then spending $200 more on the Shield, well, NO trigger is worth $300. I might just buy another 709 Slim for the sake of having a spare 9mm carry . . but then . . I also have a SA XDm 3.8 9mm Compact. Also, SA is supposed to come out with a new 9mm single stack, I might wait to see what it's about, I'd buy another SA in a heartbeat, buy another Taurus in a heartbeat as well, the Shield, it can wait.

I tried a few different types of compact 9s and I have to say, I like the look and the feel of the Taurus 709 Slim. I just got it after trading up my SR9 and I have to say it fits like a glove. However, as has been previously stated, one must purchase what feels and fits them properly.