Retired Military

Retired Military

This is a discussion on Retired Military within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Does anyone know if the state of Maine waves the safety course for retired military?...

Default Retired Military

Does anyone know if the state of Maine waves the safety course for retired military?

Should say in the state requirements, check with you state police. Thank you for your service.

Page 11:
    http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/license...ts/Weapons/CFP Booklet.pdf

The demonstration of knowledge of handgun safety to the issuing authoritymay not be required of any applicant who holds a valid State permit to carry aconcealed firearm as of April 15, 1990 or of any applicant who was or is in anyof the Armed Forces of the United States and has received at least basic
    firearms training.

and
    http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/license...ons/FAQCWP.doc
    15) Q: If I have some questions that aren’t covered on this list, is there a number that I can call?
    A: You may direct calls concerning concealed handgun permits to (207) 624-7217.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

Maine was pretty straight forward and prompt with processing my non-resident permit. The problem I di have, however, was traveling through Mass. with an overnight stay meant I could not bring my handgun with me. Maine law does not allow delivery of a firearm to a non-resident even with a non-res permit so I could not send the gun to an FFL for delivery to me in Maine. I shall never voluntarily travel through much less spend one dollar in Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmr1 View Post
    Maine law does not allow delivery of a firearm to a non-resident even with a non-res permit so I could not send the gun to an FFL for delivery to me in Maine.
    That is a prohibition contained in Federal Law and is prohibited in all 50 states. 18 USC 922(b)(3).
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

I am a retired military veteran, Maine resident, and acquired my concealed carry permit without a civilian safety class. I don't know of any "waiver" for the military. I did have a "security course" and qualified with a 9MM. You are required to submit a copy of your DD214 (s) when applying for a concealed carry permit which did show this in my case. Good luck.
    Last edited by MaxEffectUSA; 04-23-2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Addition