Poor choices for carry
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Poor choices for carry

This is a discussion on Poor choices for carry within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; After reading and commenting on another post, I have a question about how to tell someone, a close friend or ...

Default Poor choices for carry

After reading and commenting on another post, I have a question about how to tell someone, a close friend or relative, that the way they carry is ineffective, as it will take way to long to get to the gun if they need it? Or should I just let them do what they feel is the best for them?
    Endeavor to Persevere, Freedom is not Free

SR40c is offline Done told her once...

Honestly... It's not like you just walked into a strip club and seen their daughter on stage. Just give them your opinion and then let it go.

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    After reading and commenting on another post, I have a question about how to tell someone, a close friend or relative, that the way they carry is ineffective, as it will take way to long to get to the gun if they need it? Or should I just let them do what they feel is the best for them?
    If the person is a "close friend or relative" why not take them to the range someday and during the course of the day do some self defense scenarios (empty guns at first then graduate to loaded guns) involving starting from concealment.. then draw.. then fire...against paper targets and let them discover on their own how well, or how poorly, their method of carry works.

If it is done this way one of two things will happen... either they discover their method of carry doesn't work and they will address it on their own without you needing to say anything... or you will discover their method of carry works just fine for them and you didn't embarrass yourself by saying something.

Either way y'all get to spend some time together on the range and range time is always a win/win thing.

Take them to a firing range or an area that is safe for everyone to shoot and fire the "45" practice drill. The drill starts with the weapon holstered. From a distance of 5 yards, fire 5 rounds, in 5 seconds, into a 5 inch circle. That should make it very apparent to the person they have to make a change or very apparent to you that the way they carry is fine. You shouldn't have say anything and it's a fun drill that is valuable to learn. Everybody wins!
    “There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.”- Mr. Herbert Garrison
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."- Jeff Cooper
    "Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still."- D. Carnegie

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by SR40c View Post
    Honestly... It's not like you just walked into a strip club and seen their daughter on stage.
    Definetely a time to MYOB

OP it's really none of your business and the person you tell is liable to tell you to take a hike
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Blog Entries

There are lots of other cosiderations to how you carry. Sure I would be fast with a leg holster but I wear business clothes daily and well that would not go over well. Not everybody is able to do what may be best for speed because of other factors. My 38 snubby in my pocket is not the best way to carry but I have practiced and do fairly well. You still have to live a normal life not live to shoot someone.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post

How do they carry ?

You might start by asking them some selected questions rather than 'telling' them. Could be less intimidating and may lead into a useful discussion with both of you learning something.

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

Yes, justnbox had a point, how does your friend carry? That is pretty crucial in determining the advice you will receive here. Ie: if they carry off body, empty chambered, etc will heed different advice.

Until then, follow the advice about taking the friend to the range. Make it a friendly competition. Like others have said...maybe it works fine, and then you can let it go.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

I would agree to need to know how they carry. That may or may not open the door to talking with them about things. It could be as simple as sitting down some time with them in a conversational mode and broaching the subject. "I was just reading a few posts the other day online on carrying and found some of the ways folks carry". Then lead into how you both carry and discuss.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast