show your gun ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

show your gun ?

This is a discussion on show your gun ? within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; im new to concealed carry maine... im curious if there are any legal issues if i was forced to show ...

Default show your gun ?

im new to concealed carry maine... im curious if there are any legal issues if i was forced to show my cc gun to a criminal if the time called for it, if i didnt have to discharge my .357 but draw or reveal to scare off a violet crimainal would there be any issues w/ the law i do have my cc permit and my great state of maine is oc as well.

Don't pull it unless you intend to fire it. Its called brandishing a weapon and is illegal in most cases. It is only legal to use your weapon if you feel your or someone else's life is in danger. In this circumstance there is no time to "try to scare them". If there is time then it is not time to draw your weapon because you have time to retreat instead.

The_Outlaw is offline ~The Dude Abides~
    The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Lightbulb

shuteye
    View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries Add as Contact Send Email

"im new to concealed carry maine... im curious if there are any legal issues if i was forced to show my cc gun to a criminal if the time called for it, if i didnt have to discharge my .357 but draw or reveal to scare off a violet crimainal would there be any issues w/ the law i do have my cc permit and my great state of maine is oc as well".

Never draw your firearm unless you intend to use it for self defense.
    If the bad guy immediatly stops his attack & decides to run away without a shot being fired....Good.
    Re-Holster your sidearm and notify the police of the situation.
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

B2Tall is offline Stirrer of the Pot

If you feel as though you only need to "show your gun" in order to end a threat, then it's probably not much of a threat in the first place and you could be opening a legal can of worms as well as possibly making yourself a legitimate target for soneone else.

Do whatever you want but I would only draw on someone if I had every intention of using my pistol in self defense. If the circumstances permitted I might give them the courtesy of a "back off!", but that would be the unlikely exception, not the rule. I would also call the police afterwards whether I pulled the trigger or not.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

All good advices there for you that I have nothing more to add but please practice drawing and reholstering for a change. Until you get used to drawing faster, conceal your weapon while out and even if you do open carry, be very aware of your surroundings before going out of the door...your house or your car. Open carry is good. Let the onlookers get used to it on you. Be concern about you and your family's safety, not of what other people will think.

And by the way, thank you for putting in your location. It is nice to know that where you are is where I want to buy my fresh lobsters from every now and then. 'Used to go to Boston for that...where you are is a good place...
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Good to know everyone thanks, Tucker's mom.... I like the fact you buy fresh lobsters from here in maine... Helps all my close friends who are lobsterman and supporting families on lobster only !!! Just had some recently and will get some more soon $4.50 a pound

You need to KNOW the law in your state pertaining to displaying a weapon. In my state, open carry is legal so just uncovering the concealed weapon is not violating any laws. I wear a cover vest/shirt and have gone as far as to brush the cover back and discreetly grip my pistol. Whether the other person involved knew I did this is unknown and the situation ended w/o further action.

If I was walking to my truck in a dark parking lot at 2am and seen somebody coming towards me when there was no othere vehicle in the area that could be his. I would yell at him to stop or stay away. If he kept coming after ignoring my command and disobeyed a second command to stop or change direction, I would pull on him. I would take a few steps backwards to show that I was attempting to retreat in case there are cameras. If he keeps coming with a gun drawn on him, he apparently means to harm and is all whacked out on something.

I do think there are times when brandishing can be an effective deterrent, but like other have said, you better be willing to follow through. By that I mean, you only do it when your life is in danger and the next logical step is to shoot. Truth is, everyone is going to have a better day if you DON'T have to put a bullet in someone. And even if it was a brandish, yes, ALWAYS call the police, otherwise you end up being the "guy who threatened me with a gun."
    Ton up!

Quote Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post
    You need to KNOW the law in your state pertaining to displaying a weapon. In my state, open carry is legal so just uncovering the concealed weapon is not violating any laws. I wear a cover vest/shirt and have gone as far as to brush the cover back and discreetly grip my pistol. Whether the other person involved knew I did this is unknown and the situation ended w/o further action.
    Washington is also an open carry state. Unless specific conditions were met, your display of your firearm in that manner would still violate RCW 9.41.270, even though open carry is legal in Washington, if the situation was not where you would have been justified in also shooting in self-defense:

RCW 9.41.270
    Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm — Unlawful carrying or handling — Penalty — Exceptions.
    (1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.
    (2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.
    (3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:
    (a) Any act committed by a person while in his or her place of abode or fixed place of business;
    (b) Any person who by virtue of his or her office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to preserve public safety, maintain public order, or to make arrests for offenses, while in the performance of such duty;
    (c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person;
    (d) Any person making or assisting in making a lawful arrest for the commission of a felony; or
    (e) Any person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments.
    A person must be very careful and KNOW their state laws inside and out, including case law, if they are going to display their gun for the purpose of intimidating anyone....even the person who appears to be on the brink of committing a criminal act.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast