how many spare mags should I carry? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

how many spare mags should I carry?

This is a discussion on how many spare mags should I carry? within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Originally Posted by B2Tall Can someone show me a self-defense situation where the CC/OCer had to reload and continue shooting?? ...

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Can someone show me a self-defense situation where the CC/OCer had to reload and continue shooting?? (one that actually happened.....a real one, not a hypothetical one or some fantasy). Just wondering.
    I don't recall ever hearing of a real life instance. Only in training. I have heard of LEO shootings where they went through every mag they had and the perp was hit only a few times. Also there was that bank robbery back in 88 or 89 ish where the robbers were geared up with bullet proof vest and fully auto ak's.

I guess you never know when if you'll need a spare or two.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

My neighborhood is a little rough seen a guy pull a gun on another guy right behind my house...people walking down the middle I my street smoking weed...multiple shootings and standings in and close to my town in the past few weeks...and a few store robberies in the close area over the past year or so!!! That's my neighborhood and town!!!;)

B2Tall is offline Stirrer of the Pot

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Skinner Lesperance View Post
    I don't recall ever hearing of a real life instance. Only in training....
    My point exactly.

Carry whatever you want....I'll never criticize anyone for carrying 30,40, or more rounds on them when they step out of the house (although it might make me think about their motives for carrying or whether they've seen "Die Hard" one too many times ), but I don't envision myself getting in a running gun battle with any BGs. Never heard of any John Q. Public CC/OCer getting into one either. That's why I just pack whatever's in my pistol.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Blog Entries

Never know, could run into a BG and find out he has friends and are armed.

Three magazines minimum for my guns and have started carrying one extra magazine for the gun I have with me.

police and military law enforcement carry 30 rounds for thier pistols, but you will also not normally need that many rounds ever. Hopefully you or any of us have to ever face actually squezzing that trigger with a person in our sights as I've experience in OIF/OEF. Not a good feeling.

My point exactly.

Carry whatever you want....I'll never criticize anyone for carrying 30,40, or more rounds on them when they step out of the house (although it might make me think about their motives for carrying or whether they've seen "Die Hard" one too many times ), but I don't envision myself getting in a running gun battle with any BGs. Never heard of any John Q. Public CC/OCer getting into one either. That's why I just pack whatever's in my pistol.
    Right you are, my plan of action includes fighting with the first mag and if it continues making a tactical withdraw with the rest.

police and military law enforcement carry 30 rounds for thier pistols, but you will also not normally need that many rounds ever.
    We carry 45 on my current base. When I was in a protection detail we had 26. The rest of my assignments we had 30. Except down range, there I carried as much as I could.

Hopefully you or any of us have to ever face actually squezzing that trigger with a person in our sights as I've experience in OIF/OEF. Not a good feeling.
    I hear ya brother.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

hogdoc357 is offline HogDoc Olliday

Quote Originally Posted by philster112003 View Post
    I'm hoping I get my Arkansas CCL here in the next few weeks...pending the background check...but back to my question? I'm gonna be carrying a Taurus PT145 it holds 10 + 1 and I have one spare mag but I'm really considering getting a another spare mag and having the guy who makes my holsters make me a iWB double mag holder to match my IWB holder for the .45...so do y'all think 31 rounds of .45 acp is to much? Just wanting to get some opinions
    Personally, I think one spare is sufficient for most of us civilians who do not make a living hunting down bad guys.

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpXDm View Post
    I carry one in the gun (round in the pipe), and two either in a double mag holder or in my pocket. Since the Zimmerman threats/attacks are on the rise I also have a box or two of ammo in my truck's center console, and a couple extra capacity mags.
    Does an extra capacity magazine hold more rounds than it was designed to?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Can someone show me a self-defense situation where the CC/OCer had to reload and continue shooting?? (one that actually happened.....a real one, not a hypothetical one or some fantasy). Just wondering.
    Jeanne Assam New Life Church.

She unloaded on the guy and (though she is now claiming that she killed him) while she was reloading he stuck a gun in his mouth and finished the job for her. That's the only one I'm aware of.

Given that I have yet to fire a single round in self defense, I don't see that I need more than one spare magazine and that just because if I ever have a malfunction the most likely cause is going to be a bad magazine
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast