how many spare mags should I carry?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

how many spare mags should I carry?

This is a discussion on how many spare mags should I carry? within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I'm hoping I get my Arkansas CCL here in the next few weeks...pending the background check...but back to my question? ...

Default how many spare mags should I carry?

I'm hoping I get my Arkansas CCL here in the next few weeks...pending the background check...but back to my question? I'm gonna be carrying a Taurus PT145 it holds 10 + 1 and I have one spare mag but I'm really considering getting a another spare mag and having the guy who makes my holsters make me a iWB double mag holder to match my IWB holder for the .45...so do y'all think 31 rounds of .45 acp is to much? Just wanting to get some opinions

When I carry, I have one mag in the gun of course and two spares. But, I would not stop with only having 3 mags for my gun. I have a total of 5 mags for each of my handguns. In my opinion, like ammo, you can never have too many mags on hand.

31 rounds of 45acp is a lot of weight and feels like a ton by the end of the day. For daily carry, one spare mag should be plenty. I would only carry more if you have a specific need. For home or range, I say take all you can carry.

Better safe than sorry, if you end up in a gun fight situation (hopefully this never happens, or even a one on one confrontation). But one in the gun and two on the belt is always a good bet. Of course if you also carry a back up with a different mag or caliber I would do the same for it. When your life or the life of others is on the line too much may not be enough. Some may say that is excessive but for someone like me who is disabled it is my only way of defense in a life or death situation.

I've found two single carriers more versatile than a single double.

Hand cut, Hand stitched, Hand made

Blog Entries

I carry two mags for my 45. I however dont carry them both on the waist, too much weight. Purchase yourself some NRA tactical pants, looks great.and they have mag pockets built in and reinforced. I carry one on my waist and one on my thigh via the pants pocket.helps distribute the weight and they are sturdy. Adds extra pockets designed for other items like non lethal weapons and tactical pens and flashlights etc that you might also choose to carry.

I usually only carry 1 extra mag, but I have 5-6 mags per gun.

I carry one regardless of what gun I'm carrying. Depending on gun that gives me between 15 and 39 rounds. I figure, worse case scenario if I already went through 15 rounds and I have not eliminated the threat or received help I'm pretty much FUBAR.

AT&T home I keep 6 magazines for each weapon.

gejoslin is offline Illegitimi non carborundu

Default rethink my situation!

I agree with Rayb. Most of the time I carry 1 extra mag on me and a box of 100 in the truck. That's 29 on me. If that's not enough maybe I should rethink my situation!
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

Quote Originally Posted by philster112003 View Post
    I'm hoping I get my Arkansas CCL here in the next few weeks...pending the background check...but back to my question? I'm gonna be carrying a Taurus PT145 it holds 10 + 1 and I have one spare mag but I'm really considering getting a another spare mag and having the guy who makes my holsters make me a iWB double mag holder to match my IWB holder for the .45...so do y'all think 31 rounds of .45 acp is to much? Just wanting to get some opinions
    First how do you like the 145? I've been debating between a 145 and a glock 30 for my next purchase.

As for your question, I don't think its too much. Usually if I'm heading out of the house I have my 24/7 OSS on my strong side and my PT140 on my weak wide with a spare mag for both in the small of my back. That totals 46 rounds for me. Aside from my waist line being a little tight I don't find it uncomfortable at all, of course I'm used to carrying 100+ pounds in the sandbox.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast