Driving Trough Illinois from Michigan to Iowa
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Driving Trough Illinois from Michigan to Iowa

This is a discussion on Driving Trough Illinois from Michigan to Iowa within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I'm planning on talking my handgun and have a valid Michigan concealled carry permit. What do I need to do ...

Question Driving Trough Illinois from Michigan to Iowa

I'm planning on talking my handgun and have a valid Michigan concealled carry permit. What do I need to do in so that I may drive through Illinois without any issues? Thanks in advance for any replies...

Do the speed limit, carry no less than 2 dozen donuts as backup and pray you don't get pulled over! They won't understand and they won't care, Avoid Illinois at all cost. You are not wanted there if you are a law abiding 2nd amendment practicing citizen. You will be crucified before the masses and made a example of!

FOPA applies in this case. Make sure the firearmis unloaded, locked and nott within reach from the driver or anyone. Ammo must be stored seperated and also must not be within reach. If you are driving in a car the best place is your trunk. When I drive through NY, I stop before I enter and lock everything up then drive through the state then stop after I get out and load everything back up.

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by imrambi View Post
    FOPA applies in this case. Make sure the firearmis unloaded, locked and nott within reach from the driver or anyone. Ammo must be stored seperated and also must not be within reach. If you are driving in a car the best place is your trunk. When I drive through NY, I stop before I enter and lock everything up then drive through the state then stop after I get out and load everything back up.
    Not 100% correct but close enough to work.

There is no provison in FOPA that ammunition be stored seperately from the firearm only that the firearm be unloaded

One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one place to another cannot be incarcerated for a firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gas) and the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, in a locked container.[7]
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

I make a trip from Indiana to Missouri on a regular basis and have to go through Illinois as well. I keep all of my handguns in a hard sided case, unloaded and no magazine with the handguns. The hard sided case is locked and then put into a small duffel bag and zippered shut. The unloaded magazines and ammo are kept in a separate case (range bag) that is also zippered shut. I keep the handguns on one side in the back compartment of my SUV and the ammo on the other side. I will also obey all posted speed limits and use my directional for all lane changes. I will go out of my way to avoid going through any part of the city of Chicago or it's immediate suburbs.
    NRA Life Member
    1911-45, 9, 22, P229, P220, P228, PPQ, 38 spl

No one's said it yet but under no circumstance do you volunteer that you have any weapons in the vehicle
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.

Go to the state website and print out their rules, keep them in the car to show an officer if it becomes an issue.
    When liberals run out of other people's right to infridge upon, how many will give up theirs?

Quote Originally Posted by TlWheatley View Post
    Go to the state website and print out their rules, keep them in the car to show an officer if it becomes an issue.
    I hear this a lot and I'm not sure it would provide that much benefit. Cops don't like to be challenged especially not on the side of the road. If I was a cop I'm not sure I'd want to take my eyes off you long enough to read some paper you handed me.

Chicago also has a "requirement" that the weapon be made in-operable, either the slide removed or a trigger lock used. It is a violation of federal law but it will cost you a lot of money fighting it in court. Indiana, Kentucky, and Missouri are lovely this time of year.

Transport Your Firearm Legally - IL State Police Pamphlet

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast