Interesting Interaction - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Interesting Interaction

This is a discussion on Interesting Interaction within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; This has been a great thread, because i've been thinking it over for about a monthly now, about something that ...

This has been a great thread, because i've been thinking it over for about a monthly now, about something that happened to me. My wife and i dance, so we went to check out a new bar that opened a couple towns over. Being a bar, i left my side in the car. As we were leaving, this guy walks up to me and starts to pick a fight. I stood my ground in a nonthreating way, because, well, i didn't feel threatened. When a 5' 6" 150lbs drunk walks up to a 6' 3" 215 lbs cowboy to pick a fight, i was more surprised than anything. I simply asked him if he really was wanting to spend time in the hospital or was he just joking. After a couple seconds of him standing there with a dumb look on his face, he walked away. BUT what if we were somewhere else. I would have been carrying and what he didn't back down, but decided to craw all over me like stink on poop. He still wasn't much of a threat, unless he pulled a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by sdgw View Post
    This has been a great thread, because i've been thinking it over for about a monthly now, about something that happened to me. My wife and i dance, so we went to check out a new bar that opened a couple towns over. Being a bar, i left my side in the car. As we were leaving, this guy walks up to me and starts to pick a fight. I stood my ground in a nonthreating way, because, well, i didn't feel threatened. When a 5' 6" 150lbs drunk walks up to a 6' 3" 215 lbs cowboy to pick a fight, i was more surprised than anything. I simply asked him if he really was wanting to spend time in the hospital or was he just joking. After a couple seconds of him standing there with a dumb look on his face, he walked away. BUT what if we were somewhere else. I would have been carrying and what he didn't back down, but decided to craw all over me like stink on poop. He still wasn't much of a threat, unless he pulled a weapon.
    Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't discount a guy's fighting ability based on his size since Chuck Norris is 5 foot 8.5 inches tall..... and he IS a weapon.

Interesting views on facing the idiot and calling the cops, trading verbal insults, or flashing your piece in open carry. IMHO, what actually happened was the best thing you could have done in the circumstances. The idiot could have been jacked up on drugs and/or carrying gun/knife etc. therefore, antagonizing him in any way is stupid. Flashing a gun or verbal insults just escalate the potential of you getting killed or FUBAR. Leaving the situation and going into the store shows good instinct. Just because stand your ground may exist in your state is no reason to risk your life unnecessarily. Save that risk for if you really are fighting for your life someday. Even if you were forced to take a kill shot, the bunny-huggers are going to try to have you publicly lynched so don't risk putting yourself through that cr@p for some windbag who isn't worth it.
    Finally, just because you have the right of way doesn't mean you can't relax, be the bigger guy, and let someone else go first. If more people dropped the "me first" attitude to their entitlement the world might be a nicer and safer place to live. These are just my opinions.

Nightmare45 is offline NRA LIFE MEMBER

Walk away, man up and walk away be smarter than your loser conbatant.

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

Quote Originally Posted by Inglorious Basterd View Post
    Interesting views on facing the idiot and calling the cops, trading verbal insults, or flashing your piece in open carry. IMHO, what actually happened was the best thing you could have done in the circumstances. The idiot could have been jacked up on drugs and/or carrying gun/knife etc. therefore, antagonizing him in any way is stupid. Flashing a gun or verbal insults just escalate the potential of you getting killed or FUBAR. Leaving the situation and going into the store shows good instinct. Just because stand your ground may exist in your state is no reason to risk your life unnecessarily. Save that risk for if you really are fighting for your life someday. Even if you were forced to take a kill shot, the bunny-huggers are going to try to have you publicly lynched so don't risk putting yourself through that cr@p for some windbag who isn't worth it.
    Finally, just because you have the right of way doesn't mean you can't relax, be the bigger guy, and let someone else go first. If more people dropped the "me first" attitude to their entitlement the world might be a nicer and safer place to live. These are just my opinions.
    When you say flash your gun in open carry, do you mean brandish? I dont believe the op said anything about brandishing, but that an openly carried firearm holds a powerful tool called deterrence.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    When you say flash your gun in open carry, do you mean brandish? I dont believe the op said anything about brandishing, but that an openly carried firearm holds a powerful tool called deterrence.

That's no more a provable statement that the other side claiming you'll be targeted first
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Inglorious Basterd View Post
    You are entitled to have your opinion... I'll not deny you, or anyone, that.

Now here is my opinion.

The part of your post I put in bold is so very correct...but not in the way you presented it. The truth is the asshat that thought everyone should stop just so he can back out of a parking spot should drop his "me first" attitude of entitlement and understand that the other guy has the right of way.

Had said asshat understood that he is NOT the center of the universe then he would not have been offended that his magnificence wasn't deferred to when he wanted to back out of a parking spot.. and he wouldn't have made such an ass of himself yelling, insulting, and threatening to fight just because he didn't get his way. Had said asshat behaved like a normal rational intelligent adult instead of a spoiled little child the world would be a nicer and safer place to live.

How about we put the blame where it truly belongs ...squarely on the shoulders of the asshat that thought he was so important everyone else should stop just so he can back out of a parking spot. It is the self important elitist asshats that make the world less nice and less safe.. NOT those who don't bow to the asshats.

Yea Bikenut, thats what my point was suppose to be. The little guy may not look like a threat, and however the out come is, thats what a jury is going to think too. The best thing to do is not to respond in a threatening way. Sometimes just walking away like the guy in the parking lot, but sometimes you need to stand your ground. By not responding to a threat in a manner he is expecting you to, will confuse him and buy you precious seconds to assess a situation.

Quote Originally Posted by TruckTurner68 View Post
    Having a ccw is no substitution for using decorum in public. Why not let him back out? What happened to being polite? And if he did want to fight walk away. Honestly sounds like a little passive aggression going on. Sure stand your ground is a great law, but having the responsibility of taking anothers life can be a life long nightmare. Dont be so gunho. Be in peace with all men.
    I live in SC where being "polite" causes a lot, and I mean a lot, of accidents. People would rather be polite than follow the rules of the road. If you back up and cause an accident it's your fault.

Quote Originally Posted by TruckTurner68 View Post
    Having a ccw is no substitution for using decorum in public. Why not let him back out? What happened to being polite? And if he did want to fight walk away. Honestly sounds like a little passive aggression going on. Sure stand your ground is a great law, but having the responsibility of taking anothers life can be a life long nightmare. Dont be so gunho. Be in peace with all men.
    I would suggest re-reading my post. I did not have a ccw when he confronted me. Why not let him back out? Because the law says I have the right of way. Also, I did walk away, but he waited outside the store for me. Passive agressive? I would also suggest looking up what that actually means.

Im also not sure stand your ground law is a great law. I never said I have that law to back me up as if I am the shoot-first-ask-questions-later kind of guy you think I am. I did not stand my ground. If he had backed me into a corner, that would be a different story. For your information, Colorado does not have a stand your ground law, we merely have a court ruling that said we are not required to run away.

BTW, you are preaching to the choir here by saying "be in peace with all men". I walked away.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast