L.E.O. encounter while carrying.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

L.E.O. encounter while carrying.

This is a discussion on L.E.O. encounter while carrying. within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Just thought I would share my experience. I work as a manager of a small business and this morning when ...

Default L.E.O. encounter while carrying.

Just thought I would share my experience. I work as a manager of a small business and this morning when I came in to work, we found a vehicle abandoned with a flat tire. I figured: "Give em some time to get a tire, and come back." At the end of my shift, I called the police to run the plates and contact the owner. When the officer arrived on scene, I already had my wallet in my hands, the weapon still concealed. When he got out of his vehicle, I handed him my DL and CPL, and said "I am required to inform you that I am licenced to carry a concealed weapon, and it is on my person. He looked at the licenses, returned them to me, said thank you and we proceeded with our business. That was it. He was friendly and professional. I share this because I have heard stories about officers that are rude or hostile during dealings with CPL holders. Not all officers are like that. Some are quite nice. :-)
    "We must all fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil, which we must fear most - and THAT is the INDIFFERENCE of GOOD MEN!" - Monsignor "The Boondock Saints"

The_Outlaw is offline ~The Dude Abides~
    The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ernstdesigns View Post
    Just thought I would share my experience. I work as a manager of a small business and this morning when I came in to work, we found a vehicle abandoned with a flat tire. I figured: "Give em some time to get a tire, and come back." At the end of my shift, I called the police to run the plates and contact the owner. When the officer arrived on scene, I already had my wallet in my hands, the weapon still concealed. When he got out of his vehicle, I handed him my DL and CPL, and said "I am required to inform you that I am licenced to carry a concealed weapon, and it is on my person. He looked at the licenses, returned them to me, said thank you and we proceeded with our business. That was it. He was friendly and professional. I share this because I have heard stories about officers that are rude or hostile during dealings with CPL holders. Not all officers are like that. Some are quite nice. :-)
    Great story...'Most' cops are pro-gun's for law abiding citizens in my experience. =-)

About 2 months ago I was stopped in my neighborhood by a motorcycle cop for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign.
    Like you, I also gave him both my drivers license and my CHL and advised him that I was also carrying on my person.
    He looked at me with a bit of a surprise because I was only wearing shorts & a t-shirt with sandals.

He asked me what I was carrying and where was it located.
    I replied that I was carrying a Ruger LCP in my pocket.

He replied, "Great little pistol, I also have one."

He then let me go with just a friendly warning and a ''drive safely''.

I replied, "Thank you sir! Have a nice day and stay safe out there."
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

Quote Originally Posted by ernstdesigns View Post
    I share this because I have heard stories about officers that are rude or hostile during dealings with CPL holders. Not all officers are like that. Some are quite nice. :-)
    Very true! My husband is an LEO and, of course, we have many LEO friends. I don't know of ANY of them who do not encourage legal carry! The sheriff in our county is a HUGE CWP supporter & even gave a free CWP training class to 30 women at the beginning of the year after a brutal rape and murder that occurred in our county.

I to have had nothing but good encounters with LEO's they all thank me for telling them.

The first time I encountered an officer while carrying, I had a similar experience. I was stopped for a traffic violation, and handed over my permit along with my drivers license. Couldn't have been nicer or more professional. The second time, however, went very different.

I was on my home from work late one night, and was stopped by another officer from the same department. When he approached the vehicle and asked "How are you tonight?" I replied that I was good, just confused as to why I was stopped. He informs me I had a headlight, tag light, and brake light out, which was certainly news to me. Before even asking for my driver license, he asked if I had any weapons. I informed him of the .40 on my hip, and the .380 in my pocket, and that I had a license for carrying concealed. It was then that he asked me to step out of the vehicle. I asked what my legally concealed weapons had to do with a busted headlight, offered up my permit for inspection, but did not consent to a search. I was pinned to the car, and had my weapons taken from me by two officers. They told me to sit in the car while they ran my criminal history (which I obviously don't have, because I have a damned concealed weapon permit) and the serial numbers on my guns. They held me there for about an hour and a half, in the pouring rain, in the middle of the night, simply because I had a broken bulb and legally concealed firearms. Ultimately I was released with no charges, and my firearms were returned to me, although they did not hand them directly to me, they put them in my trunk and told me not to get them out until I got home.

These are the people we need to watch out for. If this happens again, I'll be filing suit against the department for illegal search and seizure without warrant or probable cause.

It's amazing.... Not every cop is like Daniel harless. Every cop I have encountered supports my right to carry.
    "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
    - Clint Eastwood

araczynski is offline NotASheep.Enabled = True;

last i checked cops were people too, with all the good and bad baggage that people come with :) i.e. its not 'them' against 'you', if anything, its merely 'him/her' against 'you'.

Same thing happened to me here in Boise, ID. Pulled over for a 'California stop' (my bad. Was after midnight on an empty back road 4 way.) Did the standard window down, dome light on, hands visible as he approached. Handed CCW when asked for L, R, and I. Volunteered that I have a valid concealed carry permit and that I had a 380 in the center console. His reply was 'k.' Went back, ran my info, came back and reminded me not to roll stops and sent me on my way. Nice guy.

Generally, I feel that if you treat LEO's with respect, they will return it. If extra security measures would have been required, like asking me to step out of the vehicle, I would have done that too and not balked about it. Theirs is not an easy job, and they are in harms way much more than the average citizen. My hat is off to them, fire fighters, our great military, and all the American service personnel that devote their lives to serving and protecting this great nation.

Depends on the cop and your attitude. Just like customer service often depends on your attitude, and I'd bet the people who have a bad experience at a given range went in there with an obvious chip on their shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by sherra View Post
    Very true! My husband is an LEO and, of course, we have many LEO friends. I don't know of ANY of them who do not encourage legal carry! The sheriff in our county is a HUGE CWP supporter & even gave a free CWP training class to 30 women at the beginning of the year after a brutal rape and murder that occurred in our county.
    Yet the various national Chiefs of Police associations come out against CC. Obviously the bosses are not in touch with the troops in the field, are they?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast