Business posting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Business posting

This is a discussion on Business posting within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; How do you interpret a business' posting that the "unlicensed possession of a firearm is prohibited on these premises."...

Default Business posting

How do you interpret a business' posting that the "unlicensed possession of a firearm is prohibited on these premises."

I'd interpret it to mean unless you have a CHP you should not take your firearm on premises. On the other hand does your state require a license to possess a firearm? If so and if you have said license you are good to go. Or maybe it is a badly worded sign and should be ignored. Again, what are the laws in your state?

Quote Originally Posted by Noemarmolejo View Post
    How do you interpret a business' posting that the "unlicensed possession of a firearm is prohibited on these premises."
    I would say anyone who doesn't have a valid CCL don't come in here with a gun. Like the bad guys will care anyway.
    " To be old and wise... You must first be young and stupid".

Quote Originally Posted by timdske View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Noemarmolejo View Post
    I would say anyone who doesn't have a valid CCL don't come in here with a gun. Like the bad guys will care anyway.
    That's how I interpret the sign. Would help if we knew the state.
    If it doesn't fit, FORCE it! If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway.

I would tend to agree , seeing that depending on your state Laws you may be require to hold a permit to carry a firearm at all. So as long as you have said permit you are all good..if not you really shouldn't be carrying anyways... now here in new hampshire open carry does not require a permit and a pistol permit is very easy to get.. just go to your local police department and fill out an application, pay the 12 buck filing fee and wait 2 weeks.. basicaslly if you can legally purchase a gun you can get your pistol permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Pearson View Post
    I would tend to agree , seeing that depending on your state Laws you may be require to hold a permit to carry a firearm at all. So as long as you have said permit you are all good..if not you really shouldn't be carrying anyways... now here in new hampshire open carry does not require a permit and a pistol permit is very easy to get.. just go to your local police department and fill out an application, pay the 12 buck filing fee and wait 2 weeks.. basicaslly if you can legally purchase a gun you can get your pistol permit.
    So you pay a tax on a right? Prostest the tax and the proccess. They do NCIC on you, when you buy.
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

As others have noted, it first depends on the state you're in and its laws.

Taking it just on the face of it, most states don't require any "license" just to own and posses a gun. At that level, the sign is a valueless statement.

If your laws require a license or permit in order to carry the firearm (openly or concealed) in public, then the sign does not prohibit your entry if you have said license. If the person who posted it understands the law, then they may be posting it simply as a sop those who fear guns and will assume by seeing a prohibiting sign that they're in a "safe" place. The understanding gun owner will know he can carry there.

If no license is required, are you not, in effect, (I'm sure there's a nice Latin term for this :-)) licensed for it? So, wouldn't that mean that the sign is forbidding the bad guys to bring a weapon in? Whichm as has already been said, they're going to ignore anyway...

unless it's a post office or government office..... i would ignore the sign and if clocked for carrying i would apologize for not noticing the sign and leave asap

wow ''12 buck filing fee'' that's good considering in florida it's almost 120 usd
    gun control is being able to hit your target

in some states a sign has the force of law , check your stares laws , you would not want to lose your ccw
    never leave your cave ... without your club Mark Walters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast