NC "Must Inform LEO" ruling
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

NC "Must Inform LEO" ruling

This is a discussion on NC "Must Inform LEO" ruling within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I have a CCH permit in NC. I work at a "helpless victims only" workplace (i.e. university campus) so I ...

Default NC "Must Inform LEO" ruling

I have a CCH permit in NC. I work at a "helpless victims only" workplace (i.e. university campus) so I don't cc on my way to/from work. I know NC permit holders must inform LEO when approached/addressed. But if I am NOT cc'ing and am stopped in my vehicle, is it a good idea to go ahead and inform LEO I am a valid permit holder but am NOT armed? My understanding is the LEO will probably know I have a CCH permit before he approaches me after he runs my license plate. So to tell or not to tell when not cc'ing??

I have gotten in a habit of telling all LEO's. Wether need to or not it's just the respect I give them.

i live in and have a NC and have my ccw i tell them evey time . it does not allway come up by your tag that you have a ccw. there are 2 systems they can look up your tag one will show it and one will not

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

Follow the law, no more, no less.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Weather you ha e a chp or not, in nc u have to inform him if you are armed. Not when unarmed. It is concidered open if your shotgun is on the seat no chp needed. Law says still inform. Officer safety is what they are after. I can respect it.
    To teach tolerance, you must first be Intolerant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mc1100Aero View Post
    I have gotten in a habit of telling all LEO's. Wether need to or not it's just the respect I give them.
    Do you notify the girl at the cash register in the grocery store?

If not, why not?

Don't you respect her?

Quote Originally Posted by Mc1100Aero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Do you notify the girl at the cash register in the grocery store?

If not, why not?

Don't you respect her?
    Or a bus driver? Or a convenience store clerk? Or a repairman or installer that comes to the house? Why all this DISRESPECT for all these other hard working people? You are the lone customer in a convenience store, I am sure the clerk behind the counter would be much more at ease and comfortable if you told them about your permit and concealed firearm, after all, they just want to go home to their families safe at the end of the shift and any person who walks through that door may be the person intending to rob them, or worse. This is a question that people who tell LEO about their permits and guns "out of respect" have never answered, and I really want to know.

I can't believe the number of people that only have respect for LEO and not for all the other hard working people out there actually earning their paychecks.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

UATKP is offline Uncle Al

There's a heck of a lot of difference between a LEO and a department store clerk... a clerk may not shoot you if they find out by accident that you have a weapon... the LEO might.
    What the heck is wrong with having respect for a LEO and the job he has to do?
    Just sayin'...
    Stop, Drop, and Roll won't work in Hell.
    The truth about the former Republic of the United States of America:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Ioz...ayer_embedded#

Quote Originally Posted by UATKP View Post
    There's a heck of a lot of difference between a LEO and a department store clerk... a clerk may not shoot you if they find out by accident that you have a weapon... the LEO might.
    So you inform LEO about your gun and permit because you don't trust LEO to act appropriately if they should discover your legally carried firearm?

What the heck is wrong with having respect for a LEO and the job he has to do?
    Just sayin'...
    What the heck is wrong with having EQUAL respect for every other person that has a dangerous job to do? There are 9 professions, according to the Department of Labor that have more likelihood of dying on the job than LEO. One of those is sanitation and recycling workers. Your garbage man contributes greatly to your health and welfare every week by taking away your trash. Have you told them about your gun and permit lately? Why not have the same respect for them? Or how about the farmer that is responsible for feeding your family every day?
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

There's a heck of a lot of difference between a LEO and a department store clerk...
    There is also a heck of a lot of difference between a firearm being carried in a holster by a person who is already complying with all of LEO's requests than a firearm in the hands.....

If the LEO gets all trigger happy over a firearm in a holster or in a case, carried by a person who is in full compliance with their requests, then they should not be a LEO because they are a danger to themselves, to their fellow LEOs, and to law abiding citizens.

And if a LEO finds out about your permit from his radio or data terminal, SO WHAT?!? Now he has even less reason to ask you anything about any firearm that you might or might not be carrying/transporting. And any LEO that believes a permit is valid just because you give it to him is just plain stupid.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast