must notify question
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

must notify question

This is a discussion on must notify question within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; i live in a must notify state. if i am traveling thru another state that recognizes my cc permit, do ...

Blog Entries

Default must notify question

i live in a must notify state.
    if i am traveling thru another state that recognizes my cc permit, do i need to notify leo's in that state, regardless if they have a must notify law or not?
    my permit states that i must notify any leo. is that any leo in my state, or any leo anywhere?
    i'd rather be a hammer than a nail.

Each state has their own laws concerning this and you must comply with their laws regardless of where your permit is issued.
    With that said, I am of the opinion that it is a good idea to notify regardless. There are a lot of individuals that carry who despise the "must notify" and I haven't had one tell me the reason for that opinion.

Glock27060 is offline Glock27060

It should not matter if it is a "must notify" state or not. If you are stopped by an officer keep your hands on the top of the steering wheel and immediately notify the officer that you are carrying concealed as soon as he approaches your vehicle. Your honesty and compliance maybe enough to get you out of further trouble by letting the officer know that you are not a threat to his safety and you appreciate the difficult job that he does.

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

You abide by the state law you are presently in. If the state law is must notify then notify. If the there is no state law to notify, then it's up to you.

I do not notify. It invites actions that make the environment unsafe (stranger trying to empty a firearm they are unfamiliar with is extremely dangerous.) The safest place my firearm can be is in its holster not being handled. If a traffic stop has nothing to do with your firearms then why complicate the situation by bringing firearms in? If it did the officer would approach appropriately and make his intentions clear, well before you would have the chance to notify.

I also don't notify my garbage man, or the hotel desk person, or anyone that doesn't need to know "out of courteousy". As treo puts it, voluntarily notifying is like submissive urination by a scared puppy, hoping the officer doesn't beat you.

My advice though, is follow the driving laws as strictly as you follow federal firearm laws, and make sure your vehicle is running 100% so you don't get pulled over. Beyond that, don't do anything more than the law requires.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries

my state is well known to be gun freindly. i dont have a proglem with notifying here but,
    in some other states, even though they may not have must notify laws, im in uncharted waters.
    the cop who puls me over may or not be gun freindly. he may be fishing for something. that is my reasoning.
    i'd rather be a hammer than a nail.

You follow the laws of the states in which you are traveling. However, I always notify as a courtesy to the LEO. I've never had a problem in a non-notify state.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor (Pistol & Personal Defense in the Home)
    North Carolina Concealed Carry Instructor

Ks is a not required state. The state AG recommends carriers notify and encourages officers to ask (if asked you must answer honestly).

Now for personal preferences:
    Many officers don't ask, many do. Several will tell you, "If they went through the hassle and expense to legally carry then they aren't a threat, but knowing naturally raises the stress level so I'd rather not know unnecessarily."
    Others have said "If there's a gun, I want to know". One keeps baggies and will place mags and ammo in one, firearm in another and place them in the trunk with instruction that "You can retrieve them when I drive off."

My take? If they want to know, they'll ask. If they don't ask, they don't want to know.

To the point of the questioned asked --- When in Rome, do as the Romans. You are bound by the laws of the state you are in at the time. (In Ks I don't have to notify, in Ok. I do have to)

Quote Originally Posted by bellyfat View Post
    i live in a must notify state.
    if i am traveling thru another state that recognizes my cc permit, do i need to notify leo's in that state, regardless if they have a must notify law or not?
    my permit states that i must notify any leo. is that any leo in my state, or any leo anywhere?
    why do people over think these things? all you are obliged to do is observe the laws in the place that you are, what is the law in NC is irrelevant if you are in Arizona

The state I live in is not a must inform state. However, the instructor at my CC carry class, which is also optional in my state, advised us that in the event of a traffic stop to keep our hands on the steering wheel, turn the interior light on and tell the officer you have cc permit and that you have a firearm and where it is. This instructor is a 7 year veteran on a local police force. Here's the kicker, your firearms permit follows your drivers license. Any time they run your drivers license it automatically pops up that you have a firearms permit.

bellyFat understand the quandary you're in. NC who you're licensed through requires notify. Another State may not. Whilst NOT an attorney, I would support the thought that you must notify per your issuing State Laws. If another State does not require this and you inform anyway, I don't see any harm done. SOME on this site may differ, but it's your call. AS ALWAYS
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast