To carry hot or not? - Page 18
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
Like Tree256Likes

To carry hot or not?

This is a discussion on To carry hot or not? within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Originally Posted by walknotinfear Conrads on getting hired. Do me a favor. Get back to us after you spend a ...

Quote Originally Posted by walknotinfear View Post
    Conrads on getting hired. Do me a favor. Get back to us after you spend a year on the road and we will see if your thoughts about the profession change. You as a new cop will not be able to save the world or change anything in a department. There will be bad apples and cops who go over the top and maybe bend the rules a bit. Some advice, your first year on the job keep negative comments to yourself about other officers in your department. Once they see you are only looking out for yourself, that you are trying to clean up the streets of bad guys and bad cops, you will find yourself all alone wishing you didn't p-ss off your fellow cops. I thought the same way years ago and quickly found out differently and fast. Once you are on your own just do the job the best you can without getting killed. You will see the bad cops but just do your job, I am not saying lie but don't go out of your way and stab a fellow officer in the back because in the long run you will only hurt yourself.
    Have you considered contributing to the "This is why people hate the police" thread? You probably won't be welcomed with opened arms, but you could go a long ways in addressing the topic of the thread in a very easy-to-understand way.

Blues
    I pray for peace. Peace and justice. If we can't have both, I choose justice.

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Have you considered contributing to the "This is why people hate the police" thread? You probably won't be welcomed with opened arms, but you could go a long ways in addressing the topic of the thread in a very easy-to-understand way.

Blues
    I will look at the thread thanks. I don't hate cops, firefighters, EMTs or any other position that generally helps people. The only group I hate are criminals.

I will look at the thread thanks. I don't hate cops, firefighters, EMTs or any other position that generally helps people. The only group I hate are criminals.
    No offense intended, but...umm...

I do not and have never hired cops but have sat on a few oral boards in the past. How do you expect to get a job as a cop with an arrest record? Was that arrest wiped off your records (expunged)? And even if the arrest record was expunged you are going to have a difficult time getting hired because of that arrest. It may not be a disqualifying issue if the arrest was expunged but you will have to disclose it during the application process. I will bet a cup of coffee that the panel members will weigh heavy against you for that arrest and they will fail you after the interview. Just my opinion.
    Just spoke with my aunt this afternoon who works in the records department of our county courthouse and she said that expungements are a complete destruction of all records, and that the judges that work out of that courthouse have instructed them to tell anyone who has an expungement that they DO NOT have to disclose it to ANY employer after that point, even if the employer is gov't. So I'm not sure if you just wanted to be Johnny Bad-News or what, but I'm pretty sure what you said was false. But one of my professors is who does the hiring for the county next to ours that I intend on working for when I graduate, so I'll double check with him. But another one of my professors is the liaison between Clemson and several federal law enforcement agencies and she was saying that if you have had a DUI or drug charge, as long as it hasn't been in the last 3 years, then they'll take you on. So I think you're blowing my little arrest way out of proportion sir.

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Just spoke with my aunt this afternoon who works in the records department of our county courthouse and she said that expungements are a complete destruction of all records, and that the judges that work out of that courthouse have instructed them to tell anyone who has an expungement that they DO NOT have to disclose it to ANY employer after that point, even if the employer is gov't. So I'm not sure if you just wanted to be Johnny Bad-News or what, but I'm pretty sure what you said was false. But one of my professors is who does the hiring for the county next to ours that I intend on working for when I graduate, so I'll double check with him. But another one of my professors is the liaison between Clemson and several federal law enforcement agencies and she was saying that if you have had a DUI or drug charge, as long as it hasn't been in the last 3 years, then they'll take you on. So I think you're blowing my little arrest way out of proportion sir.
    Good luck trying to pass the polygraph if you try to hide the fact you had an arrest. You may be correct but most federal agencies and police departments have polygraphs tests. I will bet you a cup of coffee you will show deception in the polygraph when you say NO when the question is asked if you were ever arrested in the past. There is a 5 percent chance you could lie on the the polygraph and pass but that is a heck of a way to start a law enforcement career by lying. Also some federal agencies require clearances to work as a federal law enforcement officer. Most special agents (FBI, SS, DEA, FAMs) have top secret clearances. Good luck lying to the investigator for a federal top secret clearance and see what happens. Even if you do make it on by not disclosing the arrest you better believe they will find out. I remember 9 agents that I was hired on back in 2002 who were fired after being on the job for lying on the paperwork for a TS clearance. I was shocked they worked for close to a year before their security clearances were revoked. I guess they thought the Feds would not find out but they did.

So your best bet is to not have your candor questioned and be truthful about everything.

PS. Federal agents who hold TS clearances. They go back ten years for the background investigation and they are investigated every 5 years while on the job. So tell your professor he is wrong.

Default To carry hot or not?

Good luck trying to pass the polygraph if you try to hide the fact you had an arrest. You may be correct but most federal agencies and police departments have polygraphs tests. I will bet you a cup of coffee you will show deception in the polygraph when you say NO when the question is asked if you were ever arrested in the past. There is a 5 percent chance you could lie on the the polygraph and pass but that is a heck of a way to start a law enforcement career by lying. Also some federal agencies require clearances to work as a federal law enforcement officer. Most special agents (FBI, SS, DEA, FAMs) have top secret clearances. Good luck lying to the investigator for a federal top secret clearance and see what happens. Even if you do make it on by not disclosing the arrest you better believe they will find out. I remember 9 agents that I was hired on back in 2002 who were fired after being on the job for lying on the paperwork for a TS clearance. I was shocked they worked for close to a year before their security clearances were revoked. I guess they thought the Feds would not find out but they did.

So your best bet is to not have your candor questioned and be truthful about everything.

PS. Federal agents who hold TS clearances. They go back ten years for the background investigation and they are investigated every 5 years while on the job. So tell your professor he is wrong.
    I'm not saying I would lie. But any application you fill out asks "have you ever been CONVICTED of a crime?" I have not therefore there is nothing to disclose. If they ask, have I ever been arrested, then I will say yes, because anything else is a lie. But being arrested and being convicted are 2 different things. An arrest should mean nothing. There are dipshits out there who don't know the law and arrest people all the time for things they only THINK are illegal (such as my case). Why should that arrest ruin the rest of my life?

You come across as having the same attitude that a lot of cops I've met have, in that you treat any and everyone as though hey are a criminal and below you. Condescension is something I can't stand!

tricolordad is offline Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    No offense intended, but...umm...

I love it when people draw their own pictures to insult others lmao

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    I'm not saying I would lie. But any application you fill out asks "have you ever been CONVICTED of a crime?" I have not therefore there is nothing to disclose. If they ask, have I ever been arrested, then I will say yes, because anything else is a lie. But being arrested and being convicted are 2 different things. An arrest should mean nothing. There are dipshits out there who don't know the law and arrest people all the time for things they only THINK are illegal (such as my case). Why should that arrest ruin the rest of my life?

You come across as having the same attitude that a lot of cops I've met have, in that you treat any and everyone as though hey are a criminal and below you. Condescension is something I can't stand!
    You must have some idea that we live in a perfect world. If you think for a second that someone will not look differently at an applicant who has an arrest versus one that has not been arrested any differently just because that arrest was expunged, than you have no idea what type of world we live in.

I have been on oral boards and you better believe after you walked out of the interview the panel members would talk about the arrest and than just either fail you or give you a lower score. It doesn't matter that the arrest was wrong or if it was expunged. A panel interview is like a jury, if they don't like you than you lose.

But why are you even debating this, I thought you were already hired on, so what is the issue?

Also no one is beneath me. I treat everyone the same. I am beneath only one person and that is the man upstairs.

Watch this video and tell me when the guy would have had a chance to let go of the other guys gun hand to rack the slide.

I carry chambered

Mo. Man Tries to Stick Up Clerk Who Also Happens to Be a Four-Deployment Iraq War Vet ? Guess Who It Doesn?t End Well For | Video | TheBlaze.com

GOA Member, NCGR Member
    Former NRA member - my membership renounced after I received a robo-call endorsing an anti-gun, anti 2A candidate that sides with Bloomberg.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Watch this video and tell me when the guy would have had a chance to let go of the other guys gun hand to rack the slide.

I carry chambered

Mo. Man Tries to Stick Up Clerk Who Also Happens to Be a Four-Deployment Iraq War Vet ? Guess Who It Doesn?t End Well For | Video | TheBlaze.com
    That was awesome. Cashier was lucky though. BG got too close before drawing, and drew slowly. Cashier probably could've out-drawn him if BG had been out of arm's reach still though, as slow as he was. Probably not a tactically sound idea to have a lit cigarette to deal with at the same time either. LOL Congrats to the vet/cashier. Great decisions from beginning to end. And yeah, including the decision to carry with one in the pipe!

Blues

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast