Revolver vs. Semi-auto
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Revolver vs. Semi-auto

This is a discussion on Revolver vs. Semi-auto within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I am thinking about getting a small revolver for conceal carry. I already own a 9mm subcompact and am wondering ...

Default Revolver vs. Semi-auto

I am thinking about getting a small revolver for conceal carry. I already own a 9mm subcompact and am wondering if I should just stay with that. Benefits to a revolver?

NO SAFETY!! Also chamber is ALWAYS ready to fire, just have to pull trigger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Individual thing, what do you like? 5 or 6 shot vs: 6 to 8, safety or no safety? Your call......

I like em all, as long as they shoot!
    NRA PATRON
    NRA trainer http://www.missouriccw.com
    Holster Maker http://www.rockingwholsters.com

Agreed with the number or rounds. Wheel vs semi-auto. Rare instance if you carry cock & locked, semi-auto ( I cc/oc 1911A1 platform), that second round may stove pipe...ie not eject properly or fail to chambered the next round completely. BUT you get more rounds. If you choose a wheel, you're usually limited to 5 to 6 rounds PLUS needing bulky speed loaders IF you want to carry extra. I suggest 1911's. BUTTTTT, that's just me.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by Drzzit View Post
    NO SAFETY!! Also chamber is ALWAYS ready to fire, just have to pull trigger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    How are either one of those different from my Beretta Nano, or Walther PPQ?
    Anyway, a revolver has a consistant trigger pull, and is in general, considered to be more simple to operate for beginners.

One benefit of a revolver is it is easier to shoot operate with either hand in most cases. Makes a good back up gun. Limited on ammo capacity however so that should be a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by SethB View Post
    I am thinking about getting a small revolver for conceal carry. I already own a 9mm subcompact and am wondering if I should just stay with that. Benefits to a revolver?
    I have a .38 special snubbie that I carried for a small BUG. Loved it. It was dead on, it felt great in my hand. I still love shooting it. However, when I got a Sig P238, I stopped carrying the revolver as a back up.

However, (yes another however) since I'm Glock trained, I found that I sometimes don't hit the safety on my Sig P238, so I'm in search of my next BUG that does not have a safety.

So... what do you get from my story. Get what works for you and has the features you are trained in. If you are relying on your next gun as a BUG, I would strongly suggest it be similar in operation to your EDC.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by JackBadger View Post
    One benefit of a revolver is it is easier to shoot operate with either hand in most cases. Makes a good back up gun. Limited on ammo capacity however so that should be a consideration.
    I'm not too sure about one-handed operation being easier. Autos have ambidextrous slide locks and mag releases on many models now, and with a good set of iron sights, you can rack the slide on your belt, boot, or what have you. I have yet to see a revolver that has a cylinder release on both sides, and can drop the cylinder out the left or right side of the frame. :) Also, a speed strip or spped loader isn't as easy to handle with one hand as a magazine is. That's just some debate fodder though.

What I actually wanted to mention was another plus for revolvers, which is that they generally are offered in mroe powerful calibers and can more easily hold longer rounds, like the .41mag, .44mag, .454 casull, and .500 S&W. It's the one thing about a revolver that I really, really like.
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

I like both... Speed of reload and amount of rounds for semi-auto, no need to think about malfunction (just pull the trigger again) and larger caliber with the revolver. It winds up depending on where I go... Hiking or anywhere there aren't many people (both of which have a higher probability of there being large, four-legged threats) I take the revolver. Crowded areas or where it's very important I stay concealed (e.g. very liberal town), I take the semi-auto.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast