To tell or NOT to tell?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

To tell or NOT to tell?

This is a discussion on To tell or NOT to tell? within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I haven't had my carry license that long and haven't yet been pulled over with a loaded weapon in my ...

Taipan is offline Makarov IJ70-18A (IMEZ)

Default To tell or NOT to tell?

I haven't had my carry license that long and haven't yet been pulled over with a loaded weapon in my posession. Per Indiana gun code, I do NOT have to tell the officer that I am in posession of a loaded weapon. However, I always imagined that I probably would tell him right off, just so that he doesn't get froggy, and start spitting lead my way if he did happen to find out. Your thoughts?

In a lot of states, the fact that you're a CCW holder is going to pop up on their screen when they run your plates anyhow. I just go ahead and tell them.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

My rule of thumb regardless of which state I'm in if asked for my ID they get both. I consider it a courtesy to the Officer.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Ektarr is offline Dedicated Infidel

I agree.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

X2..........................................

+1 they already know you have a permit when they run your plates. Any LEO is going to then assume you have a firearm and approach with that in mind. So to elude the fact would only be inconsiderate and partly stupid...no offense but that's what he'll think.

Make his job easy and let him know asap. he already has enough stress every day why add to it.

sambo42xa is offline USA Carry Supporter

Come on guys, I was just going to say ALL of that!
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

I agree.. I haven't had to yet.. but I would give both.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

I live in Indiana and was stopped by a state trooper a while back. I had my g23 in the center consul and my USPSA rig and gun bag with a g35 (unloaded) sitting in the back seat. the gun bag and belt rig were clearly visible. I have NRA, USPSA, and GLOCK stickers on my car. I never informed the officer because I really didnt want to get out of my car or hand over my gun on the expressway, and I figured unless he's completely clueless he would ask me about any weapons if he cared. But he didnt ask me about anything except if I knew how fast I was going.
    Maybe if I wasnt in a hurry or in another state I'd tell the officer, but I figure if they want to know they'll ask, I just want to save myself from any unnecessary dis-arming or questioning.

I believe it advisable to immediately tell the officer if you're "concealed" to establish trust. Automatically present CWP with your license as well. Chances are they will not even feel the need to see the weapon unless you are giving them a reason through your behavior or if you were committing a serious offense in the first place.
    Just my 2 cents.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast