Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 11
Page 11 of 115 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I think this thread has gone as far as it is going to go. There are clearly different opinions about ...

Default Done

I think this thread has gone as far as it is going to go. There are clearly different opinions about this, and i very clearly understand and support - despite my last post - your right NOT to inform where that is legal. I simply choose to do inform, as the best course for me. Someone asked, what about anything else i'm carrying in my pocket. Well, all i can say is your Bic lighter isn't a firearm. People, even LEOs, maybe especially LEOs, get nervous or worse around OPF (other people's firearms).

I agree that it is illogical for a LEO to be more concerned about lawful carry than about the hoodlums who carry illegally. So, the last thing to say is, obey the law, and keep carrying.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants ... for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

I don't know.....I have lots of friends that LEO and they all tell me that they want to be told that your carrying a weapon. I agree, they have a tough job and would appreciate the courtesy. Anyway, they all feel it's great for civilians to carry, who knows you might be able to reciprocate the help to them someday when their struggling with a BG and there is no other officer around.

Thumbs up

Every LEO that I have talked to, some friends and some I just met, prefer to be told. They really don't like surprises.

If they happen to see a firearm print, and they say they look for printing, they get nervous if they haven't been told it's a legal concealed carry.
    Preserve the 2nd amendment and firearms, THE NRA NEEDS YOU NOW!
    May the happiest day of your past, be the saddest day or your future.
    Today is the very first day of the rest of your life!

Quote Originally Posted by ga.glockdog63 View Post
    I don't know.....I have lots of friends that LEO and they all tell me that they want to be told that your carrying a weapon. I agree, they have a tough job and would appreciate the courtesy. Anyway, they all feel it's great for civilians to carry, who knows you might be able to reciprocate the help to them someday when their struggling with a BG and there is no other officer around.
    I'm sure they want to be told that they have a weapon. And I don't want to be stopped by the police. If they are stopping me against my wishes, why should I grant them theirs?

I'm not disrespectful of LEOs in general. I'm polite and calm in just about every encounter. But if one tells me that I have to do something that I'm not obligated to do by law, I'd rather stand by my rights and refuse. I would choose not to inform a LEO just as I would refuse to turn off a video camera.

Again, the government exists at the will of the people. If I am doing nothing against the law with my firearm, the LEO has no right to know -- unless I willingly give up that information. I choose not to, as it is none of his business.

Quote Originally Posted by drt View Post
    Every LEO that I have talked to, some friends and some I just met, prefer to be told. They really don't like surprises.

If they happen to see a firearm print, and they say they look for printing, they get nervous if they haven't been told it's a legal concealed carry.
    I get nervous when I get surprised too -- like when I see a cop car behind me with its lights on.

I really don't care if cops don't like surprises. I like my rights, and I flat out refuse to give up anything more than I have to.

It's common courtesy to inform them. Most of us law abiding citizens don't break any laws to be stopped anyway, so what's the problem?

I have been pulled over once. The car I was test driving had broken plate screws so the dealer put his dealer plate in the back window. I never told the town cop I was packing, and explained the screws to him and we both went our merry way. Why kick a sleeping dog and open a can of works. What they don't know won't hurt them.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMontana View Post
    It's common courtesy to inform them. Most of us law abiding citizens don't break any laws to be stopped anyway, so what's the problem?
    PARANOIA, its obvious that we have many here who have a dread fear of any type of authority, and feel that the MAN is out to get em

I am on both sides of this conversation..
    But I believe usually I would hand over my Permit on top of my license in most cases.. I believe that it usually (not always) will put the cop at more ease than on guard. The fact that I have disclosed indicates I'm a good guy in attitude, and the fact that I have disclosed indicates I am not a felon, etc.
    I think it depends a lot on where you live.. I think if you are in the North East or in Kalifornia, in general you are dealing with a different mentality than in some other states...

I am NOT a big ACLU fan (NOT, NOT, NOT!!) but the below video provides a better understanding of the point of the folks that choose not to notify (if not legally required).
    I think everyone should watch this video.. It is long, but you should watch it all ..
    Remember.. "Are you detaining me, or am I free to go?"

Video - BUSTED: The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Great video. Unfortunately, explaining the 4A and 5A to some of these people is about as productive as banging your head against a brick wall. It doesn't matter how hard you try, they still don't get it and you just end up with a headache.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Page 11 of 115 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast