Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? - Page 49
Page 49 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Inform the officer or not when concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Inform the officer or not when concealed carry? within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I live in Idaho and carry all the time. If you get pulled over here tell the officer. He'll probably ...

Default Idaho is easy....

I live in Idaho and carry all the time. If you get pulled over here tell the officer. He'll probably ask you what you carry and want to talk guns with you. It actually lessens the chance you'll get the speeding ticket around here.

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    I've been stopped once since I got my carry permit. I did not notify. I do not want an untrained or poorly trained Officer putting me in danger while he is trying to unload my gun. To each his own.

I also have a carry permit for Idaho. I might notify if I were stopped in Idaho (it is not required there either). It would depend on the officer and how I judged him.

sswells36 is offline sswells36

Always best to put the officer at ease.... showing that you are forthcoming with information is a plus....besides most LE like those of us who go through the trouble to do cc.... take the course etc. Be straight with them and they will do the same.

BobFoos is offline NebraskaBob

Default Officer Notification in Nebraska

In Nebraska it better be the first thing out of your mouth.

Default Inform Officer

It is required in SC

Quote Originally Posted by trrogers24 View Post
    It is required in SC
    And in NC.

Regardless of what people think, follow the law in your state.

With that said, there is no requirement in my state to inform under such conditions.

Thinking back to my instructors advice, who was a Marine sharpshooter, competitor, instructor. Also ex police (in my state), and an instructor for police and SWAT (here where I live). He held classes with exactly 4 people at a time. His answer, "It's really none of the officers business, and unless he asks you directly, don't tell."

Now, if he asks me a direct question such as, "Do you have any firearms?" I am compelled by law to answer truthfully or attempt to change the subject. Lying to an officer is against the law in most places and will only help entrap yourself because what you say can and most likely will be held against you, period!

Better to not answer than to lie. I would probably ask him/her a question to answer the question... like, "Officer, why did you pull me over" and/or "Officer, am I under arrest?"

But if he/she persists with the question... with both my hands on the wheel and with interior light on (if applicable), I would frame a truthful answer beginning with "Yes, I have a permit to carry, and I'm awaiting your instructions."

I'd rather test my rights in the after action report than on the spot with a cop worried about getting home after their shift. Or potentially much worse but hopefully very rare... a true believer in the totalitarian police state.

Ciao from the Peoples Republic of CT

Default INform the officer

In a training course I took last year here in Georgia they taught that you keep your hands in full view on the wheel and say to the officer, "I am a CC and my permit is in my pocket" and wait for him to respond. It is courtesy and safe!

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Thank you Treo and antietam for replies that do not squirm around in the slime of offensive language and name-calling that sometimes overwhelms many of these threads. Your last replies were right on and I can understand and appreciate those comments. Hey Treo: liked you very concise reply that may be short on words but sums up CC in a nutshell. Hey antietam: I guess when your son in law is an LEO and I volunteer time with a very professional police force in Mt. Pleasant, SC, I have a very high regard for same, as you insightfully noted. Wishing you both a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and a hope that all we do is write on these forums and never have to live some of our scenarios and what ifs.
    Yeah, there's no call for that
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Debray is offline Chuck White
    Blog Entries

Default Experience

I can speak with experience, I tried both ways.

I got stopped on a county road by a Sheriff Deputy for a dim license plate light and I didn't have my concealed carry with me. He took my license and registration and went back to his vehicle. A couple minuets later he came back upset and asked why I didn't tell him I had a canceled carry. I told him I didn't have it with me. He said that didn't matter, and I said, " I was told by my instructor if you aren’t carrying you don't need to say anything."
    But to keep things from getting worse I said, from now on I will inform the Officer.

Last week same road but this time an Ohio State Patrol Officer stopped me for doing 45 in a 35 zone. I was carrying and when he walked up to the vehicle I had both hands on the wheel and said, " good evening officer. When he asked if I knew why he stopped me?
    I said, "yes I do, and I also want to let you know I have a cancelled carry." He said, "where is it"?
    I said, on my belt inside my coat".
    He said, "Thank You telling me, Merry Christmas and try slowing down a little bit."
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

antietam is offline storm is comin'

maybejim:
    I tend to agree with you. Unless your state requires preemptive cc disclosure, keep quiet. It's either the law or not the law. I think it's a mistake to try and read the hearts and minds of LEOs, much more strange to "put them at ease" unnecessarily. If LEOs are going to freak out simply by the knowledge that you have a weapon in the vehicle or on your person [by your omission of the fact] when you've given no reason of threat of danger, then a much bigger problem exists with law and enforcement in general.

Page 49 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast