How Long Before You CC With a Bullet In the Chamber?
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

How Long Before You CC With a Bullet In the Chamber?

This is a discussion on How Long Before You CC With a Bullet In the Chamber? within the Concealed Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I Have been carrying for about a month and i have NOT loaded a round yet,This may be odd to ...

Default How Long Before You CC With a Bullet In the Chamber?

I Have been carrying for about a month and i have NOT loaded a round yet,This may be odd to some but to me i'm wondering if i need to give myself more time.
    I'm just now getting used to the Holster and weight.we don't have kids so i'm not locking up my gun anymore it stays close to me .

WHen i'm carrying i think about what if something happens and i need to fire (we are talking intent and ability is there)...and if i pull my XD i have to rack it....now i'm thinking is it time to load a round.

Any Advice ?

I always have carried with one in the chamber. As far as I am concerned there is no reason to not chamber a round on a DBL action auto. If something goes down and you need to use your weapon you will most likely already be behind the curve without having to waste time racking the slide. IMHO.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

As long as it took me to rack the slide. As soon as I started carrying concealed, I carried with a live one in the pipe. As mentioned before, if something goes down you may fumble trying to load a round under the stress of the situation.

I went from 1911 right to revolver and then slid over to Glock 27. Now I'm revolver or Glock user.

For you? As long as it takes.

Once your living and breathing the rules of gun safety. I mean that finger NEVER goes near the trigger, you always assume it's loaded, you don't point it at a play stuffed animal (that you wouldn't want to destroy) and you know where your neighbors bedroom is in relationship to where you are in your home.
    That being said some always carry with an empty chamber. I won't judge. I have an xd45 and trusted it with one in the chamber. It just wasn't comfortable to carry the service model like my baby Glock or wheel gun, but I'd never think of going without an extra one in the pipe or 4 instead of 5 chambers full on my revolver.

Biggest safety rule I use is my gun is ALWAYS in a holster. When I arm or unarmed my carry system allows me to put on holster with gun every morning. Once holstered I do a safety check (most days) and then reload and re holster. When I come home I secure it and it's my back up to the long guns.

I agree that racking takes time and if your defending or moving (which you should be in a tactical situation) you might not have two hands to do it, but it's better to have an empty chambered gun then a chambered gun that you keep at home and don't carry.
    Rule #1 of CCW: Don't get made.

Default Excellent

Quote Originally Posted by rmarcustrucker View Post
    I went from 1911 right to revolver and then slid over to Glock 27. Now I'm revolver or Glock user.

Once your living and breathing the rules of gun safety. I mean that finger NEVER goes near the trigger, you always assume it's loaded, you don't point it at a play stuffed animal (that you wouldn't want to destroy) and you know where your neighbors bedroom is in relationship to where you are in your home.
    That being said some always carry with an empty chamber. I won't judge. I have an xd45 and trusted it with one in the chamber. It just wasn't comfortable to carry the service model like my baby Glock or wheel gun, but I'd never think of going without an extra one in the pipe or 4 instead of 5 chambers full on my revolver.

Biggest safety rule I use is my gun is ALWAYS in a holster. When I arm or unarmed my carry system allows me to put on holster with gun every morning. Once holstered I do a safety check (most days) and then reload and re holster. When I come home I secure it and it's my back up to the long guns.

I agree that racking takes time and if your defending or moving (which you should be in a tactical situation) you might not have two hands to do it, but it's better to have an empty chambered gun then a chambered gun that you keep at home and don't carry.

This is the most excellent answer to this question I have read.

I can think of nothing to add to this except that I'm pretty crabby about all Obozo's crap tonight, so any compliment given from me right now is well earned.
    NRA Lifetime Member

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.” Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by rmarcustrucker View Post

That being said . . .. I won't judge.

+1 AGREE. Well put.

I'm trying to get a routine down and i ALWAYS doing safety checks...I realize what everyone is saying about Loading a round while carrying.
    Thank for the guidance and direction this helps alot..
    Also when you was talking about knowing where the neighbors room would be i never thought that far...
    I'm looking to take Handgun Level I II & III sometime in the near future.

thanks for the help
    Be Safe and Carry Often!

FWIW - It took me about a month.

One thing I did was put a brand new snap cap in the chamber. I attached a tiny piece of paper with a small circular piece of clear tape over the "primer".

I checked it occasionally and saw that the "primer" had never been struck.

Maybe it was a bad idea but it helped convince me that nothing I might be doing was going to set off a round with live ammo.

tattedupboy is offline Thank God I'm alive!

When I first got my LTC, i carried Mexican style without a round in the chamber. Unfortunately, lots of people where I'm from carry like this (including my brother, who taught me a lot of what I know about guns today) and I just followed suit. It wasn't until I joined the now-defunct Packing.org that I learned that the best and safest way to carry is with a round chambered in a holster that covers the trigger guard.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

As soon as you feel confident with your choice of weapons and know that you are ready for whatever comes along!
    "Never advance cheerfully on your late opponent without reloading. You may have used your last round, and he may not be properly dead and still spiteful." Major Hugh Pollard

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast