Hollow Point V Full Metal Jacket ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Hollow Point V Full Metal Jacket ?

This is a discussion on Hollow Point V Full Metal Jacket ? within the Concealed Carry and Handgun Gear forums, part of the Handguns category; I currently use Remington High Performance Jacket 9mm Luger for my Sig Sauer P226r. This is Hollow Point. I bought ...

Default Hollow Point V Full Metal Jacket ?

I currently use Remington High Performance Jacket 9mm Luger for my Sig Sauer P226r. This is Hollow Point. I bought this for defense purposes. From what I understand Full Metal Jacket is better for that purpose. I like using Remington. However, I honestly do not know which is the best type and which is the best manufacturer for defense ammunition. I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by rock919 View Post
    I currently use Remington High Performance Jacket 9mm Luger for my Sig Sauer P226r. This is Hollow Point. I bought this for defense purposes. From what I understand Full Metal Jacket is better for that purpose. I like using Remington. However, I honestly do not know which is the best type and which is the best manufacturer for defense ammunition. I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you!
    The reason Gabby Giffords isn't a vegetable is because she was shot w/ an FMJ round that went right through her head w/out expanding.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Hollow points are better. They expand and penetrate. FMJ's just penetrate. The concern there is going through the intended target and possibly into someone/something else.

handgonnetoter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bwg1920 View Post
    Hollow points are better. They expand and penetrate. FMJ's just penetrate. The concern there is going through the intended target and possibly into someone/something else.
    Especially with the 9mm. A small, fast moving round will more than likely go right through a person and keep on going. I do not like to carry ball ammo unless I am going to the range to shoot. I like the Hornady stuff or the Remington Golden Sabers. JMHO.

vettefreak is offline Your Airborne Daddy

also, the only way that a FMJ round will transfer enough energy to be effective is if it is moving at a very high speed, ie rifle

I spent a few weekends researching ballistic data about the various personal defense rounds available, and from what I have been able to find, the Hornaday Critical Defense has had the most reliable expansion, even thru 4 layers of denim....whereas the Hydra Shock has been found to have a very unreliable and very low expansion rate thru 4 layers of denim.

Quote Originally Posted by vettefreak View Post
    also, the only way that a FMJ round will transfer enough energy to be effective is if it is moving at a very high speed, ie rifle

I spent a few weekends researching ballistic data about the various personal defense rounds available, and from what I have been able to find, the Hornaday Critical Defense has had the most reliable expansion, even thru 4 layers of denim....whereas the Hydra Shock has been found to have a very unreliable and very low expansion rate thru 4 layers of denim.
    So you're suggesting I should return back to HP's vs 45ACP BALL?
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

vettefreak is offline Your Airborne Daddy

Absolutely. Just look at the unfortunate event in AZ. In the rare event you had to shoot thru a door or window, the FMJ round would penetrate the object and keep going to your target, where the hollow point would be less likely to.

Think of it this way....what is easier to push thru water, a glass bottom first, or that same glass top first.

How many times has this debate come up?

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post

-Doc
    Yes, If you did a search, I'm sure you would find many threads on this subject..
    FMJ's have greater chance of going through someone which means at least two things
    1) you may injure an unintended target behind your initial target
    2) If it goes through the target, it is taking energy with it. You want the entire energy of the bullet to be expended in the intended target.

A hollow point will expand (assuming it performs properly) sometimes as much as twice it's original caliber, causing the bullet to expend more energy in a shorter period of time, thus not over penetrating..

If you are using it for self defense, then HP is the way you want to go.
    While you are searching previous posts, you will find several links that discuss different manufacturers and their performance in ballistic gel (simulating body tissue) as well as going through material and then into ballistic gel.. I will post one recent links for you..
    "Best choices for Self Defense Ammo"

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

G50AE is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post

-Doc
    And should you carry one in the chamber or not? I carry one in the chamber and it's either a Remington Golden Saber or a CCI Gold Dot. Both of these are high quality hollowpoints and will serve you well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast