What is legal in Washington?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

What is legal in Washington?

This is a discussion on What is legal in Washington? within the Concealed Carry and Handgun Gear forums, part of the Handguns category; In December my wife, my kids,and I are taking a trip to Washington state. When I'm in my home state ...

Default What is legal in Washington?

In December my wife, my kids,and I are taking a trip to Washington state. When I'm in my home state of Missouri I know what I'm allowed to carry along with my pistol how ever things get fuzzy past the state line. Any one here know the real knife laws of Washington. I usually carry a Spyderco Endura 4 wave, a Spyderco Byrdwrench, and a custom 4 inch fixed blade. Can I carry any of those on my trip?

Are boarding an airplane or going by car? They have different rules in each.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Taking a plane. But I know I will be unarmed while on the jet. The question is what can I carry when I get there. I know my P95 will be allowed once I'm out of the airport. But can I have my usual knives?All I have found so far is a bunch of legal gibberish that only lawyers understand and it tells me nothing.

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

Are automatic knives legal in Washington? Blade length?

Along with his questions, I would like these answered as well please. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by usmccpl View Post
    Taking a plane. But I know I will be unarmed while on the jet. The question is what can I carry when I get there. I know my P95 will be allowed once I'm out of the airport. But can I have my usual knives?All I have found so far is a bunch of legal gibberish that only lawyers understand and it tells me nothing.
    Is this the legal gibberish that only lawyers understand?:

RCW 9.41.250: Dangerous weapons

RCW 9.41.250
    Dangerous weapons Penalty Exemption for law enforcement officers.

(1) Every person who:

(a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.
    Basically, the knife must have a spring action which keeps the blade closed, like ordinary pocket knives do. If the blade opens without you actually pulling the blade itself to open it, it's illegal.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

Except for LEO...since they need it? Thanks navy, no blade length then? I'm looking at getting a nice fixed blade, what about double edged?

That is the gibberish I'm refering to but it is a bit more clear than what I have read before. So the folding knives are ok? Or are they? I'm not the type to wave a weapon around trying to look cool since I have a a weapon. But also I'm not keen on the idea of going to prison because a tool I use to defend myself is outlawed where I am at.

If you can open the blade without ever touching the blade itself, then the knife is illegal, according to state law.

IANAL. That's just the way I read the law.

I will bet that local municipalities may have stricter knife laws than state law, such as blade length, maybe double edged. There is no state preemption to the knife laws.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

Guys thanks to all who replyed. I guess my best bet is call the chief of police where I will be visiting and wait on hold for a few hours and ask him what legal.

Be advised that the city of Seattle's knife laws are more restrictive than the state laws. No fixed blade knives of any length. No folding knives over 3.5 inches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast